Wrapping the Cord!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Just wondering if it is wrong in how I wrap my detector's cable to the shaft. I don't actually 'wrap' it all the way up from the coil anymore. I figure when you wrap it, you might actually create a larger view of the cord that the coil might pick up. Maybe it's a minor paranoia of mine and total nonsense but I run my cable straight as an arrow from the coil up along the shaft, and then wrap the excess just below the control housing. I tape liberally. So from the coil itself, i just attach it directly to the shaft, with a little(very little) play so the coil can rotate on the attachment bolt of course. I can't stress how important it is to NOT have slack cables in any way shape or form...tape those babies down so they do not move at all. It seems, once i made this adjustment, 'straight and immoveable' my signals were much better. I could be imagining things, but i have read(we all have hopefully) that a slack cable will cause falsing, which i already knew, but i took it seriously and think it makes a noticeable difference.

Your thoughts??

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are totally right especially with a few machines (mainly pulse) that had poor shielding in the wire. Funny thing your mentioning slack wires as "Norfolk Wolf" the author of "Advanced Metal Detecting" always seemed to have several inches flapping behind the coil on the machines he tested and then would mark the detector down for sounding off as he swung the coil.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Post....
I like to tape my coil wire in a straight line a little more length than the coil is capable of.
Friction tape is cheap..

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
FWIW - you might check your owner's manual Jarl. My AT Pro states: 6. Wrap the cable snugly about the stem with the first turn of the cable over the stem.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As do most manuals...doesn't mean its best for all detectors though.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, the manual says to, but...it seems to be working well as I have it. If I get bored some day I'll put it back and see what happens. Today after work I hit my yard, which is dry both in finds and soil-wise. But, i wanted to dig. I found a pellet, a grommet and a .22 cal nail driver casing. Not spectacular, but hey, I got to dig. :) We need rain here though. Isn't Norfolk part of Regton or something? I have seen his/their videos before. Seemed ok to me, as a decent entry level introduction to different machines. But, yeah, I see people 'slacking' their cords and it just bugs me...that's too bad that he would miss this detail.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well he was thought to be to close to that dealer to give independent reviews. On many U Tube video's he would either use the wrong sweep speed or when doing recovery speed "tests" would not use a detectors recovery speed adjustment so a detector would be shown in a lot worse light than it should have been.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread