Here we go!!!...I am now a DFX owner

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Took the plunge and decided to go with a DFX over the Minelab EX. Several factors helped me decide. One is the INSANE adjustability of the DFX. It is slightly lighter than the ML. And it is American built.
I also know a few folks I hunt with that own them so I have a wealth of programming head start on info close at hand.

The ACE will stay in the stable for days when the DFX gets heavy and also will be used by my son Spencer. It served me VERY well but it was time to get a new toy ;D

Now on to various coils to purchase :D

Any DFX owners have sage advice?

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! I don't use the DFX, but I have never read or heard of any negative comments about the DFX.

That's great that you and your son can go detecting together! Those are moments that he will remember for the rest of his life. Two thumbs up for you.....

Happy Hunting / Night Stalker

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Thanks Stalker...the ACE250 is light years beyond the BH Fast Tracker he has been using. The BH wasn't TOO bad for depth if discrim was turned off completely, but even click that knob to the on position and sometimes coins only 3" deep would dissapear!

Gonna be a good year. I have soooo many new areas located to hunt that are VERY old and permission is already secured.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a jump you made, one for which I am jealous! The DFX is always touted as a very fine machine and I'm sure you will have the stick-to-it-tivness to stick with it and learn how to properly operate it. Just don't try to compare it with your ACE 250, as they are not even in the same ball park....although...... ;) Be sure to go over to the brand names forum and let us know how you are doing and share your learning process with us. Good luck. Monty

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Monty...I have hunted alongside a DFX and Minelab Explorer many many times and have done very well. I am sure there are times and places the more expensive machines have an edge, but for a LOT of situations the Ace surprises me to this day.
I was kinda "led" towards getting a GTI2500 by someone I know at Garrett but I decided to go with the crazy amount of adjustability the DFX offers. I LIKE a steep learning curve on things.
BTW, they're using pics of me and finds in the 2007 Garrett Buyers Guide. I hope there's no hard feelings!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That's cool Dan. You are going to have to show Nate and Zoso a few tricks. ;)

I have the digging deep with the DFX(Jeff Foster)book that you can borrow. It is probably the best place to start. Especially for an experienced person such as yourself.

Danimal said:
BTW, they're using pics of me and finds in the 2007 Garrett Buyers Guide. I hope there's no hard feelings!

Maybe they won't publish it now...just let them know that the DFX is your backup machine. ;) :D

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Mirage said:
That's cool Dan. You are going to have to show Nate and Zoso a few tricks. ;)

I have the digging deep with the DFX(Jeff Foster)book that you can borrow. It is probably the best place to start. Especially for an experienced person such as yourself.

Danimal said:

Maybe they won't publish it now...just let them know that the DFX is your backup machine. ;) :D

I ain't saying nuthin :-X
Anyways, it's already published. The online version will be up next week if you wanna check it out.

Oh yeah, I might have jumped the gun on Foster's book...it's already ordered!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
best advice... sign up as a member at www.dfxonly.com
You can find just about everything on the dfx there. Specialty programs, tuning advice... you name it, you can find it there.

Second (and already mentioned) get "Digging deeper with the DFX". well worth the price to have that book available for reference. It will definitely help with understanding and getting the most out of the machine.

And finally... get out and USE it. I found the key to the DFX (as with any machine) is to learn THAT machine. The DFX has so many features, you will spend a lot of time fine-tuning the machine. So get out, start hunting with it... and good luck

steve

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I got my DFX for Christmas & I recently got the book I'm reading about the DFX while the weather is keeping me indoors. Looking forward to learning and using it myself.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
spez401 said:
best advice... sign up as a member at www.dfxonly.com
You can find just about everything on the dfx there. Specialty programs, tuning advice... you name it, you can find it there.
done...already signed up!
spez401 said:
Second (and already mentioned) get "Digging deeper with the DFX". well worth the price to have that book available for reference. It will definitely help with understanding and getting the most out of the machine.
again...done...purchased along with new headphones!
spez401 said:
And finally... get out and USE it. I found the key to the DFX (as with any machine) is to learn THAT machine. The DFX has so many features, you will spend a lot of time fine-tuning the machine. So get out, start hunting with it... and good luck

steve
Steve...thanks for the tips...anyone that knows me knows that a LOT of time spent out swinging is a given w/me. (can ya tell I am excited?...and it's 8deg outside)

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Danimal said:

Ut Oh, we have a celebrity in the house, show them how its done! Great job and congrats on the DFX.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Charlene said:
Danimal said:

Ut Oh, we have a celebrity in the house, show them how its done! Great job and congrats on the DFX.

no celebrity here Charlene-low profile all the way. I just like posting my finds.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Dan! You will love the unit. It is my "go-to" machine. I have the SE as well, but only use that when I need to go deep and slow, or to the beach.

As far as coils go, there are a lot of choices. Personally, I would go with...

• The 5.3 concentric for trashy areas (the 4x6 DD is good too, but some people don't like it...I have never heard a bad thing about the 5.3)
  • Either the 14" DD or the 12" or 14" Excelerator for depth (you'll need to research this and make a personal decision)
  • If you do a lot of parks or sports fields the Bigfoot (18") works very well. I had to adjust the machine to work well with it, but no biggie...that's what the adjustments are for. Very light and you can cover a huge area quickly. I wouldn't use it if there was a lot of trash, though.

The Sunray DX-1 Probe is probably the number 1 pick for a must have accessory. The extra weight isn't bad and it saves a lot of time.

Of course, these items cost too much $...these accessories are where all the resellers make their margin. :-[

HH!
TBGO

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was torn between DFX and GTI 2500 when I bought my 2500. So many people were bitching about the long learning curve I backed away from the DFX. Several times I have wished I had got the DFX but then I find something sweet and say well, maybe the old 2500 is Ok after all. Now that I have more experience I don't think the learning curve would be a problem, more like a challenge. I am thinking about doing more relic hunting and have even looked real hard at backing up and going with a Nautilus. Everyone that has a Nautilus just raves about it, not one dissatisfied customer that I have found. Six of one half dozen of the other I guess? Monty

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
First great choice on the DFX. I am sure you will have a great time with it this year. Take your time learning it. Start with pre set programs. Tone id is great once you get used to it, along with all the other great features! DFX-Gregg

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...I didn't see this coming. Reading "Digging Deeper" and absorbing all kinds of helpful info from other users will help immensely...but of course there's alot more to it. There is nothing, IMO, that will increase both your skill and knowledge like pure experience will. This goes not only for utilizing the vast arsenal of settings, but also for determining what to dig. If your settings are set perfectly, but you decide simply not to dig that coin giving off a questionable signal, you're not really gaining anything. And that's partly why I think it's good to do a LOT of digging...at least at first, so that your eyes are fully opened. You can never experiment too much...especially with all the controversial theories out there...I don't mean for this to sound too common-sense and all...I just think some ideas tend to get overlooked. (Boy was I pretty dumb when I started using the DFX.) I know you're gonna rock this machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions