Attachments

• scan0015.jpg
    scan0015.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 194

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Your "FAVORITE" find & why?

This is my favorite find because it was my first find (1969 penny). I have not done a lot of searching due to the sub zero weather and the 1 1/2 of snow but perhaps I will soon have a find that surpasses this one!!

Attachments

• firstpenny.jpg
    firstpenny.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 187

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Your best is not always your favorite", truer words were never spoken. This question has been asked and answered before but for those new to the forum, my favorite is my old rusty, broken Keen Kutter railroad switch lock. So much history of my small town has passed before it's "eyes" I only wish it could talk. Monty

Attachments

• santa fe keen kutter switch lock.JPG
    santa fe keen kutter switch lock.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 215
  • santa fe keen kutter switch lock too.JPG
    santa fe keen kutter switch lock too.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 213
  • santa fe keen kutter switch lock too.JPG
    santa fe keen kutter switch lock too.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 205
  • santa fe keen kutter switch lock.JPG
    santa fe keen kutter switch lock.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 212

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

My favorite is somewhere in the many great coins and rings I've found. Otherwise, it is three fragments of a Matchbox trailer I found in my mother's back yard. As a very young boy, I had a blue Matchbox truck with trailers, and I always wondered what happened to them. Well, I figured it out shortly after I got my detector. I, or more likely, one of my younger brothers, left it in the grass outside. My father must have found them with the tractor blades while cutting grass. He either threw the remnants under a row of spruce or the tractor did, but that is where I found them. Unfortunately, he isn't around to answer the question. Posted are the remnants and a replacement I bought on Ebay a few months ago.

Attachments

• cooper-jarrett.jpg
    cooper-jarrett.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 199
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 185

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow Halfdime! I love that story and the fact that you were able to find a replacement, thats just great!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

My Favorite, or at least ONE of my favorites, is not my best. I found it at a historic homestead that not only was heavily hunted, but also had been part of an archaeological dig. It is a spoon made of "coin" silver by S&E ROBERTS, of Trenton NJ. They were in business in the mid 1800's. The spoon is engraved with the initials J.B.O. (not the landowners initials) and has the trademark of the silversmith, the Nova Caesarea Horses Head and Chevron.

I have been looking at old records trying to find someone in the area with those initials, but have only narrowed it down to within thirty miles, which was a large distance in the 1850's.

Attachments

• spoon3.jpg
    spoon3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 150
  • spoon2.jpg
    spoon2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 180
  • spoon4.jpg
    spoon4.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 149
  • spoon3.jpg
    spoon3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 147
  • spoon2.jpg
    spoon2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 183
  • spoon1.jpg
    spoon1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 193

olas13

Oct 12, 2004
Rhode Island,USA
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 2,minelab sov., whites surfmaster. tesoro.equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

This is my favorite because it makes me wonder about how it got to where I found it.While hunting the beaches you can usually imagine how that ring or necklace coin etc. made its way there but this one is strange.I was night hunting one winter night without a light a few years back and got a strong signal. I made a shallow dig and got the target is my scoop the first dig. I couldn't figure out what is was until I got it into my car.
Well its an Andies Indian figure monuted on a 1939 Diez centavos coin that had been shaped into a mound. on a very thin piece of wire are 5 different handmade items.I had a coin dealer verify that the coin is a real one.What amazes me is how that wire never broke being as thin as it was.The ocean had been very rough and I believe it came out of the water.Its not really a toy and not something I would think someone would bring to the beach in the good weather to play with/.Anyhow thats my favorite! Narragansett Beach in Rhode Island did have a lot of wealthy people that traveled. Maybe thats its origin.Thanks for looking.HH.

Attachments

• hawker 002.jpg
    hawker 002.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 161
  • hawker 004.jpg
    hawker 004.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 161
  • hawker 001.jpg
    hawker 001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 168
  • hawker 008.jpg
    hawker 008.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 180

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006

I had read a book that was published in 1936, which told of a lumber camp in the early 1880's, about 15 miles from here. I told my friend that I was going to dig it and he said that he had been there and there was still a lot of horse shoes on top of the ground. Well when I got there the shoes were gone, but evidently no one dug there, they just picked the surface finds. I spent a few hours digging and dug up this auger. It is 37" long and 3" in dia. I had seen these on display in a museam, but never expected to find one. I told my wife that it was the find of a lifetime.

Attachments

• Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Picture 152.jpg
    Picture 152.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 162

tpmrcp

Dec 31, 2006
East Stroudsburg, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Halfdime,

Here is your scan at a more manageable size!
truck.jpg

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have two favorites. One is the first coin that I found with my first detector back in 1989. It was a 1919 wheat penny. My second favorite is a 1901 "V" nickel which is my oldest find.

Huntin' 59er

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

tpmrcp-thanks for the editing help! I'm still trying to figure out this toy; I haven't spent as much time with it as with my XLT.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My favorite is probably the two silver rings I got out of one hole soon after I started detecting. It was Father's Day and my son an I were enjoying being Th'ers. Son finally let me have my metal detector back, a B&C Bobcat (TR). One of the coins was made from a silver quarter. I started many of these, but never finished one. I have these framed.

Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions