Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my Garrett CXIII, but have never found it to be a tremendously deep seeking machine. I recently read a reply to a post by someone saying they detect with their ACE 250 in the all-metal (pinpointing) mode for added depth. It got me thinking that I may have been missing deeper targets by using the CXIII in MOTION MODE. I began to read old reviews, some saying that with the standard 8.5" coil, the depth range of the CXIII is about 6 inches for a US Quarter in "coin" mode, but jumps to more than 10" in the NON-MOTION, ALL METAL MODE.

Has anyone had experience with this (or another) Metal Detector in NON MOTION MODE?

Should I begin making a list of all of the sites I have hunted in motion mode, and begin to back track using my 12.5 inch coil in the NON MOTION MODE??

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i know that the non motion true all metal mode on my gti 2500 goes way deeper than the zero "no discrim" all metal mode. the main reason i rarely hunt in true all metal, is the fact that most spots i hunt are fairly to very trashy, and i am not so good at telling the difference between good and bad targets in all metal. it does make a significant difference though.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Hollow.

Some places I hunt are trashy, others are void of anything but buttons , coins and relics. If I ain't digging lots of square nails, I'm missing coins.

I am gonna go back and hit some of those spots that I hit a while back.

I know of some potentially great places in DE & Northeast MD, if you ever want to get out together.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Neil in West Jersey said:
Thanks, Hollow.

Some places I hunt are trashy, others are void of anything but buttons , coins and relics. If I ain't digging lots of square nails, I'm missing coins.

I am gonna go back and hit some of those spots that I hit a while back.

I know of some potentially great places in DE & Northeast MD, if you ever want to get out together.

that sounds like a plan neil! my brother and i are always looking for new spots and new friends. maybe after this damn cold weather breaks we can line something up. my brother works for the university of delaware, and hes trying to figure out how to get permission to hunt some of the older spots on the campus. dont know if it will ever pan out or not, but hes workin on it! ;)

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hollowpointred said:
my brother works for the university of delaware, and hes trying to figure out how to get permission to hunt some of the older spots on the campus. dont know if it will ever pan out or not, but hes workin on it! ;)

There is always the "We want to rid the campus of trash metals" spin, along with "of course we will donate any finds that are significant to the history of the university, once we clean them & photograph them".

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The all metal mode of the Ace250 is really zero discrimination and not true all metal non motion VLF. When motion is involved and becessary then the only thing it can be is Discrimination to some degree. :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
TonyinCT said:
The all metal mode of the Ace250 is really zero discrimination and not true all metal non motion VLF. When motion is involved and becessary then the only thing it can be is Discrimination to some degree. :)

i think the post that neil is talking about had something to do with hunting in the pinpoint mode on the ace. kind of unorthodox, but pinpoint on the ace is non motion, no?

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The post i read was about the Ace, which is not NON-Motion, but it got me thinking about the CXIII, which has TRUE non-motion, all metal mode.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Neil,
That would be me that talks about hunting all the time in pinpoint with my Ace.
And yes, in pinpoint the Ace is in "true" all-metal (no discrim at ALL) non-motion. I started doing it because in some large open areas it helped to more quickly locate targets and get the coil centered and then release to try an ID on the object.
I have talked with Vaughan Garrett at length about this (Charle's son) and he agrees that the Ace can be used this way for more depth but with limitations. Plus, I usually run my Ace real hot and in normal motion/notch mode (regardless of the "program", coin,relic,jewelry all-metal) the Ace is REAL chatty and chirps and beeps all over but when in pinpoint it is CLEAR when a real target is located. All the "programs" do on the ace is notch out audible tone response...
Since the Ace has no manual GB and no adjustable threshold level or tone, it's sometimes hit and miss getting a decent threshold tone when you depress pinpoint and getting that tone to hold steady during a sweep or two or three. Usually I have to re-depress the pinpoint every second or third sweep to get a decent tone.
When done right, you get a nice low threshold hum and ANY target (even small targets at great depth) will be heard as a shift (increase in db level) in the hum you hear. You can also use the signal strength meter in conjunction with the hum's volume increase to quickly center on the target.
Your CX, and the GTI2500 do have a mode to allow you to hunt this way and get MUCH deeper. You lose the multiple tones though.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Danimal said:
Neil,
That would be me that talks about hunting all the time in pinpoint with my Ace.

I should have credited you with the post.

My bad.

Thanks for the advice, Dan....Now I have many sites to go back and RE-hit...I will make sure I use the 12.5" coil. That should add tremendous depth.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
not really looking for credit but thanks.
A LOT of people confuse what I am saying with the "All-Metal" "program" on the Ace and other Garretts. Let's be clear about something on Garrett machines:
If you are NOT in non-motion and you are allowing the machine to tell you AUDIBLY with more than one sound what it thinks the target is, you are using SOME discrimination...even in the "All-Metal" selection. The machine HAS to use some filters to select which audio tone to ring (three on the ACe250) and you do lose depth that way.
In pinpoint and true non-motion on the higher-end Garretts, it's only ONE tone you hear (although with the GTI2500 it will still give a visual target ID even in non-motion all-metal...not sure about the CX)

Anyways...I just bought a DFX, so I have a LOT to relearn!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Neil, Danimal,
Let me jump in here for a second and say that there is definately fire where you are seeing smoke when it comes to hunting in Pin-Point mode with the ACE 250. As Danimal would know (Congrats on the DFX!), hunting with the 250 in PP mode is hunting in all metal and no motion.......you can literally trace the target if the sensitivity is set right. Danimal brings up a characteristic of the PP'er that I dislike but am 100% sure is caused by a target that is either too large or too shallow. Loweing the sensitivity will give you the original PP'er sound. Soda cans are a trademark cause of that faint "Sounds like the speaker blew out" kind of sound. Does the PP'er go deeper? In my experience on the 250 yes. Not sure about other units. Strange but true is that I count on what the PP'er relays in 50% of my decision making when I dig. It tells as much as the ID's. Coins have a true signature sound on the PP'er, especially at the shallower depths.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread