How you defend yourself?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have guns and have no issues with using them if need be. I raised both my daughters around guns and they know how to use them. no sense in having a gun for defense if people don't know how to use them properly. As to the original post about how to defend yourself in an area that doesn't allow guns, crossbows make for a great stand off weapon, if they can drop deer and black bear well I am sure they can do a number on a human. Great site called cuttlerycorner.com has a large assortment of knives especially ones used for just what we are talking about, they have a series that's called the zombie killers. If you wait for someone else to help you then you become a victim and a statistic.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I prefer my Atomic Disintegrator.

ad.jpeg

Last edited:

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question:

In the places (states, cities, towns) that ban guns- are they 100% gun violence free? Does banning guns keep everyone safe from gun violence? Does it work?

In these places, there are no longer needless instances of an intruder being shot or killed while committing violent acts.

Such a great trade off...

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
"How you defend yourself?"

I believe the choice people make is based on prior experience and also current physical condition.
And the things people say they would do to defend themselves, is a guess at best... because many have never been in a situation
where it's either their life or yours.
Me? I'm to old to run. Even a good butt beating may result in my death at my age? I'm to slow to use a knife... and I'm no longer in the physical condition where a round-house kick would remove most threats.
I'm 65 years old and I have enough pain without someone else giving me more! And my ability or willingness to tolerate bodily harm
to myself or family is at a point in my life that's not an option. So.. I wouldn't even consider using a can of pepper spray, taser. or knife. You see, I wouldn't be out to just stop a threat... it would be called "total elimination".

Many men my age received a "senior trip" to the other side of the World before they were old enough to vote, or even old enough to buy a shot of whiskey... but they were old enough to take another man's life. This isn't called "experience"... it's called
"Hell On Earth"!

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know what we called a shotgun in Afghanistan? An alley clear......clear any alley in the world! Did great in Iraq too. Some call a shotgun the street howitzer

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the dog idea and in fact have one myself (pittbull/greyhound mutt).......
But self defense if above all, a state of mind. We all will get old, we all can or have suffered serious injury, we all can have at different times, limiting issues.......but that does not mean we give in to victim status.
Defense is something built on many layers, many options, and most important of these is your mindset to not be a victim.
This mindset is something that must be part of you, practiced, thought out every day (this is not to mean you are afraid). Regardless of where you are, there are always many things that can be used as weapons and or to defend yourself from harm.......this is part of the mindset and fits in with situational awareness, always be aware and avoid, to the extent possible, dangers. Part of the mindset is to always know what is around that can be used for defense........

Just some random thoughts, guns or not, you can defend yourself regardless of age, gender, or physical condition. There are no guarentees in life, and sure you may get hurt, but at least you tried........

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My My, some very nice selections we have available for home defense. I hope we all vote, send emails, make phone calls and continue doing so to our elected officials as the current Government of the USA wants to take our defense components from us. "Our neighborhood watch is through Cross Hairs, that says something!.............................63bkpkr

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i use a shovel and knock people in the back of the head, works good for me

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing how not one of you described 'leaving the area' as a self defence method.

????????? Leave the area??????

Sometimes you just can't leave, sometimes you can, But still. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about anyone who can outrun a bullet

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leaving the area???? IN earlier post I mentioned avoiding problems if possible........but that is often not a choice; or perhaps we are in our house or car and why would we leave when we can terminate the problem. People have choices, my choice is to resolve the problem in a permanent way.
If you wish to let the forces of evil take what they wish from your house or car (assuming it is an option), go for it.......as for me, hell no!

I do not wish to hurt anybody, but the forces of evil who create these problems, must assume the risk and consequences of their actions. Any injury is the sole and direct result of their actions and I will not loose a second sleep over it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing how not one of you described 'leaving the area' as a self defence method. ua the ao.

I carry concealed, at times carry several, usually .45 and 9 mm, if I am where I can legally be why would I run......? 28 rounds before I have to reload an I carry extra mags.....

Our law here is called "stand your ground."....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63 that's not fair....that's just way toooooo funny.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you know what we called a shotgun in Afghanistan? An alley clear......clear any alley in the world! Did great in Iraq too. Some call a shotgun the street howitzer

We called them Street Sweepers.

My current version is a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag chambered for the 3 1/2" magnum with a 20" barrel. Its loaded with 54 pellets of #4 buck. Will fairly effectively cut a steel door in half across a house. When I am out and about I carry my XD .45.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We called them Street Sweepers.

My current version is a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag chambered for the 3 1/2" magnum with a 20" barrel. Its loaded with 54 pellets of #4 buck. Will fairly effectively cut a steel door in half across a house. When I am out and about I carry my XD .45.

I also carry an XD 45.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
amazing how not one of you described 'leaving the area' as a self defence method. ua the ao.

"When you're done with my wife and daughter there's beer in the fridge. Lock up when you're done ransacking the house."

Even crayfish defend their burrows.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess to answer this question properly I defend myself with everything possible so that I and my family can live to fight tomorrow. Does that mean training yes, preparing yes,doing nothing, No

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look around the world at the countries who don't allow their citizens to own guns, look at how they live,look at their governments...cant complain much or do much when all u have is a stinking rock to throw. I want to feel safe, I want to be safe and the only way is to have an advantage. I'm sorry if this offends but too much has been in the news about shooting a certain young teen and how his life ended tragically short but yet when you see stuff like that and its often they fail to mention his long rap sheet showing how he isn't the choir boy the people wail, scream, cry and fall all over the ground "oh my babys gone oh lord why my babys dead?!-about on the street. Showing pictures of a young version but look at him now with gang tats, acting like a thug because that's what he wants to be and then the public has to deal with that thug. The government is going to protect you from that, better think again. Funny how in the rural country areas hardly any break ins, why? We have guns, lots of them and we can tag you from long distance.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is how I defend myself, and I never go anywhere without her!! In 42 years I have been lucky, I have never had to nor felt the need to defend myself, I have never been in a fight or even witnessed a fight except for on t.v, nor have I ever came across an animal that I have ever felt threatened enough by that I felt the need to defend myself. My wife on the other hand has 16 years of Army service, including 3 tours in Iraq and 1 tour in Afghanistan as an MP, and has had to defend herself and others in that time. Between the 2 of us we own 27 handguns, many of which are loaded and hidden in various areas of our home, and my wife always has her Kimber Ultra Carry II with her and has stated that she will shoot first and ask questions later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread