Just got my ACE 250.. Help?

matmoe3

Sep 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, Im matt.. New to here and just bought my first legit metal detector. I have my sensitivity down 4 bars and discrimination set on Jewelry mode. I keep getting random signals about ever 5-10 swings and when I go back over the area....Nothing. I started digging every signal no matter what yesterday and ended up with a bunch of pull tabs, nails and scrap..and one penny. I have heard from people that with the ace 250 it is better to not swing TOO slow. Is this correct? By no means to I mind digging, but to have a signal this often with the sensitivity already low. This is a 70 year old house that no one has ever detected. I figured there would at least be some clad there..

Any help will be much appreciated!

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, to me it sounds like the processor is correcting itself. A target is not always analyzed correctly on the first pass. When certain metal are notched out the sound is canceled, that is why you don't hear anything on the second pass. Try using all metal mode and you will still hear the target, but it's ID will change. You will always end up with more garbage than good targets. You might have to dig everything in order to unmask the good targets. As far as swing speed, Garrett says 3ft per second. I go a tiny bit slower. I hope this helps, Mike

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there. I started off using the Ace 250. It's a great machine for the money. I found that there are a few things that really helped to get results from the Ace. I used the larger stock coil for months before I tried the small 4x6 stock coil. I wish I would have used that coil from the beginning! Much better than the big one and I didn't find any loss of depth. Sensitivity where you have it. I used all metal with the first two iron notches discriminated out. Pennies always came up from one notch below copper, all the way up to silver. I noticed that if I accidentally bumped the coil against a stick, big plant or bounced it off the ground, it would false. Also falses on mineralized ground and occasionally when the coil is submerged in water. Make sure you run the cable STRAIGHT up the shaft until it gets to the upper shaft, then wrap it around. I taped it with electrical tape at 4 different points between he coil and control box. Made a difference...less falsing. You can also buy a DD coil for the Ace 250 now, which helps with target separation dramatically. I hope this helps! Keep the coil clean and fresh batteries in it. The Ace doesn't seem to work well on batteries that read half power on the battery gauge. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tape the coil wire for about 5 inches up from the bottom,I hunt mainly in Coins mode and or All Metal mode,with these 2 modes I've found plenty of coins and several pieces of jewelry.You might also watch all the videos you can about the Ace 250 on You Tube,and maybe even make a test garden in your yard. Good luck:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread