• Buyer Beware Fake..Counterfeit Detectors running rampant.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, wanted to share a few things that I have come across lately, I have been looking for a used detector and had been using youtube watching peoples videos on different detectors, to get an idea of how they may work, so I could make an educated purchase.
I have been mostly looking at the minelab detectors, found this video when searching the tube.

Now I had never considered that there may be counterfeit detectors floating around out there, and just today I found a 2 month old safari on craigslist, I am sure glad I watched that video, for it had me asking questions about it when I texted the guy, he wanted 700 bucks for a 2 month old machine, when previsiouly, I had seen another ad from the same guy selling a different minelab 2 months earlier, in the ad guy says was selling cause he bought a new safari.
So anyway I text the guy and ask him if he had got it from a authorized dealer, that way the warranty would be transferable, he texts me back and says he got it from a dealer, but does not have the warranty card or the box.
So ok following the advice in that video I asked him nicely if he would mind sending me the serial number so I could email minelab, to find out if the detector was legit or not, he simply told me no thanks.
So I figured maybe he thought I was a scammer of some kind, so I changed tactics and asked him if he could email minelab the serial number, to check its legitimacy, then take a screen shot of said email, and to of course cover any personal info there might be visible....again another no thank you from the seller, finally I said well I can come and look at it in person so I can check it out in person, so you will know I am not trying to scam you, well never heard back from the guy.
Now does this mean its not legit ? there is no way to be sure, guy could just be paranoid or be one of the people ripping people off, but I know I guess I won't be able to buy that one...
Then there is another minelab up on my local craigs, one of them fancy gpx5000 thingies that cost 5800 bucks new, this guy says its brand new in the box, never opened, selling it for 4200 just like the guy in the video mentioned, said he will beat anybodys offer that has another for sale by 100 bucks...

Well I did my research on the website the guy in the video says is selling the conterfeit minelabs to people so they can rip others off, every detector you can imagine is on there, the gpx500 they sell for 1400 bucks, and I highly doubt minelab and whites and fisher have different company names in mainland china, aswell as factories to build them there.
Don't know why I didnt think about this before since all the time in business news they are talking about chinese companies reproducing american cars and and just about everything else.
This is NOT a bash on any country, this is MY way to try and help keep innocent MDers and n00bies from buying something they think it is but not really.

I sincerely hope this info helps somebody out.

Mike

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, I am glad you posted this. It is scary. You could not buy even from a pawn shop and be sure it is what it is supposed to be. I know I have my receipts for mine and can't imagine anyone who just bought a machine a couple of months ago would not have theirs either. Even with them I would call and make sure they bought it there. Well, so much for looking for a bargain. I will stick with Kellyco or any other dealer. There are plenty of them out there that are excellent and honest. Buy new! You can't afford to throw away a few hundred bucks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes down to never buy used from Craig's List or ebay if the seller is not a authorized dealer. Only buy new from a storefront like our sponsors here at Tnet. Barts Big Boy Hobbies is on the up and up.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime someone can stuff $5 worth or electronics inside of a $10 housing and charge $$thousands$$ you are going to get fakes. Always buy from a licensed dealer or be VERY familiar with the item if you are buying used.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well as far as the Minelabs go, as I understand it you can email them the serial number, and they will tell you if it is legitimate or not.
I would reccomend you buy new from a authorized dealer, but if you are like me and money does not grow on trees ( I wish ) then used may be the only option.

Mike

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It comes down to never buy used from Craig's List or ebay if the seller is not a authorized dealer. Only buy new from a storefront like our sponsors here at Tnet. Barts Big Boy Hobbies is on the up and up.

Thank you Sir! This is getting worse and worse, Be careful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread