Garrett GTAx 550

BC500

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a used Garrett GTAx 550. Appears to work okay, but the touchpad screen is not the same as the owner's manual.

Bottom line in the manual shows "OPERATE MODE" followed by either an A or a B. Mine does not show a label and shows only an A in A-mode, and nothing in B-mode. Also on the bottom line in the manual is "BATT" following by 1 to 4 blocks to indicate battery status. Mine does not show a label but shows 4 solid blocks.

Next line up in the manual shows numbers that indicate depth. Mine shows nothing.

Next line up in the manual shows a row of blocks to indicate actual depth (I think). Mine shows the blocks, although I am not clear on what they are teling me.

Top line in the manual shows blocks to indciate the type of object found (I think). I am not sure how to set it the way I want it. Seems to change on its own.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Or do you think my MD is in need of repair?

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not know anything about that detector, but the first thing I would try is doing a factory reset, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds until it makes a sound, then it will be in factory preset.
The manual my be an outdated version, to a newer revision detector or the other way around.
Here is the current manual.
www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/GTA-500.pdf

Mike

OP
OP
B

BC500

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Mike. I did a factory reset and nothing seemed to change. Maybe my bargain MD wasn't such a bargain. But it's teaching me the techniques of metal detecting even if I don't find anything right away.

OP
OP
B

BC500

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure it's a real Garrett. Just may be "used" more than I thought. Got it from a guy who said he got it free from a neighbor but never tried to use it. I am pretty sure he was telling me the truth, but the neighbor may have known it was not working right. I took a chance because it appeared to work, and I got it very very cheap, plus two extra coils. Pretty sure I got my money back on the extra coils alone. I now have a couple MDs to play with, and maybe I will understand what I want and need when I buy a new one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread