cleaning coins

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
what is the best method for cleaning an old coins so when you get done they look nice . vinegar and water?

Sand Paper (30-grit is best) or a bench grinder.

Nah, just kidding: It depends on what type coins you're talking about: Copper? nickels? silver? Gold? etc.... Different metals react differently to different methods. So you need to be specific.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use hot boiling peroxide for my coppers and water and baking soda mix for silvers.

OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a copper 1934 Cinco centavo coin then I want to clean

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Copper = amonia , or the petri dish of hydrogen peroxide trick . Boil the hydrogen peroxide in the microwave, then drop the coin in.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cleaned some badly corroded Buffalo Nickles using SOS pads in the sink, followed by a Dremel tool with a brass wire wheel, and finally using some Dremel fine polishing compound and a small buffing wheel. I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight. They turned out real well.

Silver coins: I just rinse them under the sink and lightly pat dry. Rubbing or wiping them can cause scratches. I once used a small amount of lemon juice to remove some green corrosion from a silver quarter where it had been against a nickle in the ground for many years, and that seems to work good.

If the coin has any collectors value (key date, gold, etc) I wouldn't touch it. Some places may even pay more for it in "as-found" condition versus an improperly cleaned coin.

I still haven't found a method for cleaning pennies that I like. Olive oil is slow but seems to get good results. Other methods can remove too much dirt/corrosion when can leave the penny with a pitted look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions