SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's a post after my own heart. I've been thinking for months to head up and MD in Lone Pine, Big Pine, Independance, and the Bishop area. I'm not sure about the laws, but I'll keep an eye on your post incase someone chimes in on the laws. I've been going up there since the early 70's fishing and know of lots of trails along creeks, the owens river, and the Alabama Hills area that I feel would be great for old coins and relics. I'm fairly new to MD, so I'm ready to hit all the spots that I know of out in the middle of nowhere.

That whole area around the Lake Owens goes back to the early 1800's. People were fishing those creeks in the 1800's. Across dried up Lake Owens is a town called Keeler (old mining town) that has only a few people now, but back in 1860 it had about 40,000 people, more people then LA had at that time. Tons of history in the Owens Valley. I can't wait to MD it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

benchthis2012

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2012
Manteca Ca.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks beach scanner, probably will be in Lone Pine about the first of November, yep the hills are one place I want to check out, just need to do some research on them! Will keep you posted!

S

stefen

Several Native American Rancheritos (reservations) and the WWII Japanese Interment Camp...a lot of open ranch land...and a lot of gun totter's.

Trespassing is frowned on...

A lot of that area is Federal land and bail is not offered until after arraingment...

In other words, always get permission to hunt...

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get some BLM land maps. Most of the Owens valley is owned by the DWP. Day use is permitted on all of that.
Lots of maintenance roads to roam.
Check out Chrisopholis (sp?) Old ghost town. Not much left but a couple of loose rock foundations.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several Native American Rancheritos (reservations) and the WWII Japanese Interment Camp...a lot of open ranch land...and a lot of gun totter's.

A lot of that area is Federal land and bail is not offered until after arraingment...

I've heard everything now :) You live in the middle of the biggest pot growing county in the country (Humboldt), and your going to talk about Federal Laws!!

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
SoCalBeachScanner, Lone Pine is a long long ways from Humboldt county, it's just north of Death Valley in the shadow of Mt. Whitney. I've been under the impression that the Owens Valley pretty much belongs to the City of Los Angeles, and people were free to go on that land as long as you don't go PP in the river or creeks. The reason the Owens Valley is a desert is because LA took all the water, but that's a different story. I think you would be able to find lots of places to detect in that area. Wrong time of year for going into the back country, but there are a couple of lost gold mines on the headwaters of the San Joaquin River, in the Devils Post Pile area, go past the Mammoth Mountain ski resort and head down into he canyon to get there.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoCalBeachScanner, Lone Pine is a long long ways from Humboldt county, it's just north of Death Valley in the shadow of Mt. Whitney. I've been under the impression that the Owens Valley pretty much belongs to the City of Los Angeles, and people were free to go on that land as long as you don't go PP in the river or creeks. The reason the Owens Valley is a desert is because LA took all the water, but that's a different story. I think you would be able to find lots of places to detect in that area. Wrong time of year for going into the back country, but there are a couple of lost gold mines on the headwaters of the San Joaquin River, in the Devils Post Pile area, go past the Mammoth Mountain ski resort and head down into he canyon to get there.

My comment was directed to "stefen" who is from Ferndale which is in the heart of Humbolt County. He was spewing stuff about trespassing on Federal Land/laws in the Owens Valley. In other words, he doesn't have a clue about the Owens Valley and should stick to cultivation laws of weed in his own county :)
I know the Owens Valley very well. The Department of Water & Power has most of it, including the toxic air polluting pit called Lake Owens.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I too wondered what you were talking about. thanx for clearing that up.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too wondered what you were talking about. thanx for clearing that up.

Hi Tom,
Yeah, my comment was to "stefen". When he said "A lot of that area is Federal land and bail is not offered until after arraingment ... In other words, always get permission to hunt" And! He said the Owens Valley has "a lot of open ranch land ... lot of gun totter's". All comments are made up and totally crap. First of all, the Owens Valley is the valley next to Death Valley. The only ranching going on there is rabbit and reptile ranching (granted, there is ranching as you get toward Bishop and beyond as the elevation increases). And talking about "gun totter's" ... you can't even walk in the woods, with or without a metal detector in Humboldt County (outside of Ferndale where he is from) without fear of being shot by the protectors of all the Pot Farms. I would worry a lot more about just walking in the woods in Humboldt, than MD-ing in a valley with DWP & BLM folks :)

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As mentioned in #2 above, Keeler is a ghost town in the mountains east of Owens Lake, but I offer two cautions regarding getting there: (1) I believe you'll need a 4X4 to get there; and (2) I believe Keeler is now on private land. I suggest you stop in at the Borax office in LP and inquire about access to Keeler; they may even have the owners name and phone #.

There still is a small town on the east side of Lake Owens, but the 'townies' may be quite protective of their holdings.
One story: A prominent Orange Co. man once spent a lot of money about 40 years ago doing research to locate an alleged shipment of high grade ore that was being transported by boat across the lake--the boat sank and was never found. True or False, the story survives.
Don..

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I have been all over the southern CA deserts, hiking, detecting, 4-wheeling, etc... And have yet to see anyone "toting a gun", nor "archies hiding behind rocks waiting to pounce", etc..... Yet the way some skittish people think, you'd think that these fears are awaiting us md'rs at every turn. :icon_scratch:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived In Lone Pine for several years. Are you sub contracting for DWP or DWP them selves. CH2mHILL??? There are a lot of companies working on the lake. And yes lots of Land owned by LADWP but, most of it is on the lake itself and the aquaduct. You can p.m. me if you want. I'm gonna say you pretty much have free reign regardless of what others say ( if your DWP you are set), but , really you are surrounded by Federal land and if you do see a NO TRESSPASSING sign kindly obey. You can for sure go out in any direction and see no one...and that will most likely be your biggest danger. It is an awesome area and I do know numerous places I could send you. Are you staying at the Dow Villa or Best western?

OP
OP
B

benchthis2012

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2012
Manteca Ca.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Goldwasher, subcontracting to DWP, thanks for your comments, have not heard back form management where I will be held up at yet, I am thinking the Best Western. Would be interested in hearing from you again, I still need to do research on the Lone Pine area past history, secondly, being new to the area, I was not sure what was consider good places to Mding. But just like all places, I want to always respect the No Tresspassing signs, but having someone who lives there for sometime is a big help

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023

How can you tresspass on "Federal land"? Federal land is public land owned by the American tax payer - no?

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023

I have been all over the southern CA deserts, hiking, detecting, 4-wheeling, etc... And have yet to see anyone "toting a gun", nor "archies hiding behind rocks waiting to pounce", etc..... Yet the way some skittish people think, you'd think that these fears are awaiting us md'rs at every turn. :icon_scratch:
I'm new to the treasure / prospecting hobby, so am a little curious why people would be toting guns around against people metal detecting? Is that claim owners who are protecting their claims or something else at play here? Appreciate the feedback. Thank you kindly.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
How can you tresspass on "Federal land"? Federal land is public land owned by the American tax payer - no?
Military bases, Quantico, Federal prisons, Area51, etc. are all Federal land, an I’m pretty sure they frown on tresspassers. Some federal land is actually under long term lease for livestock operations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread