A good confrontation .........

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an old home site on a map a while back and decided to locate it yesterday. I secured permission from the land owner a couple of days ago and headed out yesterday. The map I am using is a little hard to line up with Google Earth but gets me close. I had just become comfortable that I had found it from the amount of trash etc I was hitting in the middle of no where but unfortunately the area was so grown up it was impossible to really hunt properly. It was in a field that had obviously been turned since the home was there and the woodline split the middle of it. The field had been being cut for hay but was neglected this year as the main fields have been so productive this little 2 acre field was not needed. As most of us know the edge of the field and the woods is usually nothing but vines and briars........ just my luck. I looked up to see a pickup truck coming up the edges at a pace that let me know he was looking for me. Turned out it was a hunter who had leased the property's hunting rights. He had pretty much passed me without seeing me when I let out a loud whistle to stop him. After a brief "who are you and what are you doing on my lease" he was comfortable I wasn't deer hunting. Metal detector is a dead give away. We talked deer hunting and metal detecting for a few and he was kind enough to tell me about a site that he says appears to have been a much larger home. The last couple have apparently been shacks and of coarse the map only shows it as a residence was there. He waited on me at my truck and I followed him to a site on his family's land that he says has a large foundation and several smaller ones. He actually just showed me the barely visible roadbed that leads back to it. He said they are hand-cut stone and several foundations together at the site. I actually had noticed the site on the map the same day I found the one I was hunting but had not yet pursued who the owner was etc., and doubt I would have as is well outside the boundaries of the little ghost town I have been hunting. I gladly agreed to wait till after deer season to hunt it. I will be hard at the deer hunting shortly myself. Any way you look at it a bust turned into a productive hunt. :laughing7:

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an old home site on a map a while back and decided to locate it yesterday. I secured permission from the land owner a couple of days ago and headed out yesterday. The map I am using is a little hard to line up with Google Earth but gets me close. I had just become comfortable that I had found it from the amount of trash etc I was hitting in the middle of no where but unfortunately the area was so grown up it was impossible to really hunt properly. It was in a field that had obviously been turned since the home was there and the woodline split the middle of it. The field had been being cut for hay but was neglected this year as the main fields have been so productive this little 2 acre field was not needed. As most of us know the edge of the field and the woods is usually nothing but vines and briars........ just my luck. I looked up to see a pickup truck coming up the edges at a pace that let me know he was looking for me. Turned out it was a hunter who had leased the property's hunting rights. He had pretty much passed me without seeing me when I let out a loud whistle to stop him. After a brief "who are you and what are you doing on my lease" he was comfortable I wasn't deer hunting. Metal detector is a dead give away. We talked deer hunting and metal detecting for a few and he was kind enough to tell me about a site that he says appears to have been a much larger home. The last couple have apparently been shacks and of coarse the map only shows it as a residence was there. He waited on me at my truck and I followed him to a site on his family's land that he says has a large foundation and several smaller ones. He actually just showed me the barely visible roadbed that leads back to it. He said they are hand-cut stone and several foundations together at the site. I actually had noticed the site on the map the same day I found the one I was hunting but had not yet pursued who the owner was etc., and doubt I would have as is well outside the boundaries of the little ghost town I have been hunting. I gladly agreed to wait till after deer season to hunt it. I will be hard at the deer hunting shortly myself. Any way you look at it a bust turned into a productive hunt. :laughing7:

Same happened to me the other day. Now I have an 1800s house site to detect :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread