Sad to learn the hard way

Oct 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Kingston Jamaica used to be a commercial diver have found and seen countless items 20+ cannons no bronze ones I myself have 2 Spanish pots left the broken ones, piece of eight, buccaneer belt buckles, rusted daggers where only the handles are left basically, all found doing coral relocation on rockhams cay couple years ago, anyway the sad story is I used to also do cash for gold and refine as well so one day I was going out to Morgans harbor that's in Kingston where everyone takes the boat out to lime cay or maiden cay, people out there knew I buy gold and such so this guy came up to me and said he found a gold coin well 7 while he was digging a hole for a post for his shack been that he was a squatter an uneducated he did not know the value of them so I told him go get it, he came back with one so I thought ok maybe he wants to just sell one so I asked how much he wanted he said 1000 usd so I gave him 500 I asked what happen to the rest he showed me the chain around his neck and told me he made a jeweler melt it down to make it, all 6 coins, sigh.
Other than that I would really like to purchase a metal detector not for underwater but sandy ground, I plan on going all out on one could someone point me to a good effective radar, detector I've been doing some reading on them but I have no experience with any detector and don't know where to begin on what is good for my needs. And spending a lot of money on a detector to find out I should of bought the other one I can't really deal with.By the way I sold the coin for 13000 usd. I wanted to keep it but I bought it not found it it's not the same for me. I need to find one myself. I have never heard or seen anyone out by port royal, Morgans harbour with a detector. I know all those goodies are there waiting for me to find them.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, you are right that is sad! what a loss of history. I hope you are able to find & retain some of the treasures there. Even just a handle from a sword would be worth saving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread