Odd Stone "Statue" found in the woods. any idea what this is or what it was used for?

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd Stone "Statue" found in the woods. any idea what this is or what it was used for?

A friend of mine was walking around in the woods around here (Upstate NY) and found this. The stone has three bored holes. It looks like they are about 5 to 6" deep. The area here has had a large population of Indians over the centuries so we're wondering if it could be something they used. I was thinking it could have been used to grind grain but the holes are not on top of the rock, they are on the side. Do you guys have any idea what this could be?

Attachments

• 1208_10151794620824962_2134897227_n.jpg
    1208_10151794620824962_2134897227_n.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 568

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from the pics but honestly looks natural vs being bored holes or a manmade structure. The rock layers appear to arc above and below the holes. Note the bottom left of the center hole. :dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just guessing, Viking maybe?

OP
OP
DiggityDiggity

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNGUNS: I'll try to get some more up close and personal photos and post them in this thread. Good insight about it possibly being natural. Thanks!

Msbeepbeep: Imo, it's a very low probability that it's viking. I don't know of any viking finds in western NY, but I could be wrong.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For there to be three of them , lined up like that ,and very similar in size - I think takes it out of the natural realm .

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have grandkids, you could tell them that it's a yeti cup holder that fell over. My wife has convinced the grandkids that we have yetis living in our woods, and they go on hikes looking for them. Hee hee, on a quiet day I can hear the screams and laughter coming from the woods. So far they haven't found them, but they are still looking.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
wham your comment brought back a bizarre memory, many many years ago we were in the adirondacks woods on private land adjacent to a great old boyscout camp it was very dark in the fall we were walking back to camp and we could hear the boy scouts laughing and hamming it up they were about two hundred yards away and they were having a hell of a good time. My father stopped us all and said "Listen, hear 'em? We said yeah yeah we hear 'em....Then he just belts out the most profound blood curdling Yeti-Squatch primordial death roar at the top of his lungs for about ten seconds it took us all completely by surprise nobody knew my old man was so frikken crazy. Anyway we did not hear a peep outa the poor boyscouts after that.

Last edited:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 that is AWESOME. Bet there was a run on the 2 or 3 holer after that.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whammy, whatcha gona do when they bring him home?

Diggity that looks like petrified wood maybe those are knotholes????

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
It's a gateway to hell!!!!

Happy Halloween !!!

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
If anyone enjoys real history there's a great series on youtube called America Unearthed. That Columbus story is so far from reality. We've had them all here; Phoenicians, Minoans, Vikings and Knights Templars. Here in Ma there is the grave of a fallen Templar Knight on Depot St in Medford. This was a member of the Henry Sinclair party in the 1300's, and is listed in the Clan Gunn Society's list of sites. Leif Erikson's rune stone proclaiming discovery of Vinland is located on a small island off our coast called Nomans Land. A Phoenician mummy was found in fall river. Any time you find an unusual stone structure in the woods it can not be taken for granted. Even if this formation is natural it no doubt it had notice taken by the residents for centuries and very well could have been someones special place in days gone by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread