Run out by locals!

torreya

Aug 15, 2013
I live in Laurel, Mt..I pay taxes. My children attend school in the area. I am a hard working, law abiding citizen. That's why it angers me when I was detecting a local park..a very well to do lady came out of her big house and stomped across the grass to yell at me to "get the hell out of here with that thing...we don't allow that crap around here" I explained to her that I had received permission from local authorities to detect in the parks. That's when she called me a liar and threatened to have me removed by other means. I politely smiled at her and promptly left. Snow is coming soon, and this has put a sour taste in my mouth for the end of my season. I am thinking about putting the parks off my hit list and seeking out some better hunting elsewhere. If you are in my area...stay clear of Murray Heights park in Laurel...the locals do not want us there!

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try getting a signed letter if you have permission from authorities. If they call you a Liar provide them with a number to call to prove it. Authority wins over people like her. Sorry about your luck but I would not take the parks off your list because of an old sea hag. Letters always work for me. Our local historian told me and my buddy when we got permission for a civil war site that if anyone has a problem with it or questions it call us and gave us a number to call. Police have never haggled us and the locals give us stares but go about their business....( most dont read the stone that tells them that 20k confederates camped there) so they think we are just looking for change.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHAT CRAP!!! Oh I think Some ones Dog Left Something Over There!!! We would have Kept hunting until the Local police Showed up And Then Would Keep Hunting!!!! HH Chug And Red Cant even count on 2 Hands Any more How Many time The Police Have Been Called on us Chug

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have permission.You don't owe her any explanation.Let her call the police and show them your proof.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a Warning Do Not Ask them If they Would Like Me to Call The Police Or do you want To!!!! lol Still ended the Same Way Just More Yelling Chug

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I always try and be nice even to ignorant people like that woman, but if it had been me, well I would have just started using sign language at her while pointing to my ears and play the sorry I am deaf and mute role, works every time.

Mike

OP
OP
torreya

torreya

Aug 15, 2013
Thanks everyone...feeling a bit better....sure did piss me off though. I was polite to her because I see the value in protecting the interests of fellow hobbyists...don't want a big community uprising against us. Never been hassled by anyone in other parks...and am always careful to respect the areas I detect...that is the most important thing for all of us to adhere to.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have permission, and I believe that you do. Go back to whomever gave it to you and politely request their number or their business card to put in your pocket. Then I would "politely" head back to the park and pick up where I left off. I would also make sure I had some of that terrible trash in my pouch that we all pick up and throw away. Broken glass, needle, nails, etc. Then I would go enjoy the day digging little holes that become invisible when you are done, hoping to find something that was worth bringing home.

And thanks for trying to protect our hobby, but sometimes you have to politely stand your ground. On more than one occassion, it makes the person complaining madder when you stand there calm and collected while their blood pressure rages out of control.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Wily Dunk

Sep 12, 2012
Shelby, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Ground EFX TC1X Treasure Commander Si Robertson Signature Edition - BH Pioneer 202 - RS Micronta 4003 -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Garrett Edge Digger - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Laurel, Mt..I pay taxes. My children attend school in the area. I am a hard working, law abiding citizen. That's why it angers me when I was detecting a local park..a very well to do lady came out of her big house and stomped across the grass to yell at me to "get the hell out of here with that thing...we don't allow that crap around here" I explained to her that I had received permission from local authorities to detect in the parks. That's when she called me a liar and threatened to have me removed by other means. I politely smiled at her and promptly left. Snow is coming soon, and this has put a sour taste in my mouth for the end of my season. I am thinking about putting the parks off my hit list and seeking out some better hunting elsewhere. If you are in my area...stay clear of Murray Heights park in Laurel...the locals do not want us there![/QUO

I just look at people like her with a big grin on my face and say "No English" they usually start mumbling and run back in their house and lock the doors...

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People just love to show their ignorance. Dealt with the public most of my adult life and they still never cease to amaze me. Would go back and call the police on her next time she came out harassing me. A good hunter does less damage than a kid playing ball to the sod. Keep at it. Not going to stop doing something I love because some ole biddy wants to show her :censored:.:icon_thumleft:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you legally have permission to be on the spot then what she is doing is illegal, like harassment, I wouldn't pay her no attention. Bring a video camera and if they illegally try to do something to you then the police. Or if you don't feel like dealing with her buzz kill attitude - then just gonna have to leave it be.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
OP keep it simple. Relax. Dont rock the boat. Take a frikin chill pill. Dont arm wrestle grumpy old she-curmudgeons. Nobody wants police involved. Just go at night and get it over with. You aint really gonna find enough crap in there to make it worth getting in trouble for anyways so have at it.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are people like this everywhere. Once I was detecting at a site where I had permission from the people, friends of mine. I was really the only person who was supposed to be there. Well some guy was parked on the property one day. When I came back, I found he had left a hostile note on my vehicle, handwritten to me (basically "hey you"), about how "I wouldn't come back here if I were you". If you have definite permission to be somewhere, you can deal with people like this pretty easy, but when I found the note it was getting pretty late and I was heading home anyway. If it was earlier in the day the guy would have been the one to do some explaining. If have definite permission to be somewhere, don't let someone like that push you out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

torreya, let's face it: detecting has ... uh ... "connotations" to some busy-body people when turf-hunting (not-so-much in other types hunting). Eg.: that you might be about to leave holes, or "take others goodies from the park", or some such nonsense. There's utterly no avoiding every single busy-body in the world. Just as in you can never gaurantee that someone won't flip you off in traffic when driving (d/t they thought you did a poor lane change or whatever). So the solution I've found for turfed parks and schools is simple: hunt at night, or very-odd type "off" hours when lookie-lous aren't around.

What people don't see, can't hurt or bother them.

To think that the solution is to get written permission from city people, might backfire: The minute you walk in to some city hall saying "sign on the dotted line that I have permission to do such & such", is the minute it only conjurs up some sort of legal hassle, or danger, or risk, etc... on their part. I wouldn't have even figured you needed permission, to begin with, at a public park. And certainly not written permission. That seems like the fastest way to get a "yes" turned to a "no", is to start waiving contracts and papers in front of city people to sign.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling when mrs Cravitz said we, that she had a mouse in her pocket. Neighborhood busy bodies are good for reporting crime but thats about it. I highly doubt that anyone else protests.

Last edited:
OP
OP
torreya

torreya

Aug 15, 2013
It's the "my neighborhood" syndrome. So be it. There's other spots.

I think that's it...most of the people I have encountered are friendly passers-by interested in the hobby. I have met a lot of neat people and always greet strangers with a smile. In this neighborhood I have noticed a distaste for my presence. It is an upscale neighborhood with a lot of big fancy houses. No one has bothered me until now. A few minutes before Mrs.lookylou showed up, a lady walking her dog made a beeline toward me, and my friendly smile and hello was ignored. She obviously was checking to see what I was doing. I felt uncomfortable here last time too..if it weren't for the large amount of clad I wouldn't have come back. Ironically I had just hit a hole with multiple coin signals..the only ones I were able to pull were a 1952 nickel and a 1967 quarter...I could smell silver...lol..ah well..lesson learned and next time I'll be damned if I let someone step on my rights like that. Not going back..I prefer to relax in my hobby..don't like the feeling of eyes on me.

OP
OP
torreya

torreya

Aug 15, 2013
torreya, let's face it: detecting has ... uh ... "connotations" to some busy-body people when turf-hunting (not-so-much in other types hunting). Eg.: that you might be about to leave holes, or "take others goodies from the park", or some such nonsense. There's utterly no avoiding every single busy-body in the world. Just as in you can never gaurantee that someone won't flip you off in traffic when driving (d/t they thought you did a poor lane change or whatever). So the solution I've found for turfed parks and schools is simple: hunt at night, or very-odd type "off" hours when lookie-lous aren't around.

What people don't see, can't hurt or bother them.

To think that the solution is to get written permission from city people, might backfire: The minute you walk in to some city hall saying "sign on the dotted line that I have permission to do such & such", is the minute it only conjurs up some sort of legal hassle, or danger, or risk, etc... on their part. I wouldn't have even figured you needed permission, to begin with, at a public park. And certainly not written permission. That seems like the fastest way to get a "yes" turned to a "no", is to start waiving contracts and papers in front of city people to sign.

I agree with this...when I first got my detector I called the police and parks department to check on the rules..they said don't wreck the grass and good luck. I left it at that, and I have an app that I can make sure I'm on city park property. Anytime you draw more attention than needed, you run the risk of someone raising questions. Keeping a low profile is a virtue in this day and age :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread