Where to look for treasure or treasure is where you find it!

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
I have found old coins and bills in hollowed out books,Under stepps,in walls in hollowed bricks in a fireplace, in old logs,behide the black board of an old school house.Even today some places are water heaters that look like they are real but are really safes
for money.In a garden under a pet grave stone.I was a night clerk in an old hotel in
Santa Barbara called the Upham hotel ( still there today) up in the widows walk the
top post was filled with silver dollars.Old news papers filled the walls but in the stable
what was the employees rooms I found 3 gold notes.I was hooked from then on.I look
at everything as a hidding place.Even new houses have a history!A los Oso man was a bank robber for many years ( the house was built in 1972) he was found to have hidden
2.4 million in the walls! ( the FBI got all of it I'm sure)but still its worth looking.Now and then you here of glass jars being dug up with money in them.( why becuse people didn't trust banks or wanted to be close to there money in an emergency)I thought I knew all the hidding places there could be- But just last week end while chatting on
here my printer kept dropping paper.I had a shelf that was an inch to tall(I buy at thift stores most of stuff)so out to the garage to cut it down.The blade hit metal so I stopped and looked. the 2x4 was hollowed out and inside packed in sawdust was
two dollars one 1973s dollar still in its card a1890 silver dollar a plastic roll of silver dimes and a 1951 quarter.Just dumb luck I found it. I was going to burn it for firewood!
old out houses are great for finding bottles.Desks chairs doors wall outlets airvents
bed posts ceral boxes flour bens coffee cans even under old cement driveways! saddles
boots shoes. I once changed out an old P trap of a sink for a lady she said didn't drain
right.( it had four silver dollars in it!) ya treasure is were you find it!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow maybe i better look closer at things :)

H

historian_obsessed

I've always heard a good place on a farm to look is under fence posts. The farmer would drop a can or jar into the hole before the fencepost went in. Doesn't sound like an easy way to retrieve your money though when you need it.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I know my grandmother wrapped her money in freezer paper and kept it in the freezer along with her important papers....guess she thought any robber wouldnt take the time to cook a steak!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I helped a contractor friend of mine do some demolition in a house he inherited when his grandfather passed away. He was gutting the kitchen, opening up the living room and going to put an addition on the house, but he wanted to pretty much gut the 1st floor so he could update all the electrical.

Mid-way through pulling drywall off an interior wall, we found 3 rifles, 4 shotguns, 2 pistols, and about 10K in cash, along with some photos, and old stock certificates. Apparently, gramps had built in a "secret" panel into the wall (we later found the hinges and lock) and stored his important stuff. He never told anyone, and nobody ever suspected.

After that, I started looking at everything as a hiding place. I hope I remember all the places I stashed stuff when I move out of my house.

steve

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
I work for a general contractor durring the summer when im not in school. I usually demo all the houses. I havent found anything yet but I am keeping my eye open. The owner of the company ripped apart a wall once and found around 10 sticks of dinamite. There is no telling what are in the walls.

T

treasurejack

Last spring I put an old ring in a new "super secret hiding place" and I still can't find it! I know it's here somewhere but I simply can't think of anymore places to search? lol

T

TreasureTales

This kind of thread is right up my alley. I love this kind of stuff.

My uncle and aunt used to sell antiques. They would go to auctions and estate sales to buy their stuff, take the stuff home to clean it or repair it, and then sell it in their antique store in Colorado. They told me of two great stashes that were in the stuff they bought...they didn't know the stashes were there until they got the stuff home and did the clean up/repair work.

Story 1: They bought an old dressmaker's form. They were wiping off the cobwebs and then decided to clean the underside. They reached into the hollow underside and found a handful of old paper money that had been stuffed inside a cloth sack which had then been stapled to the inside of the wooden form...the bills were the big size--IOW, OLD. They sold each bill for much more than they paid for the dummy.

Story 2: They bought a nice little jewelry box from an estate sale and took it home to repair the velvet lining. Upon removing the velvet to replace it, they discovered a secret compartment. Inside the compartment was a hatpin with a real diamond on the end...4 carats!!!!

OK, I'm on a roll now, got one more to tell. I was saving this for a magazine article, but what the heck..here goes.

An elderly woman was trying to pay off the bills that accumulated when her husband was in the hospital. He died, and left her with just social security and a pile of bills. She had paid off the bulk of them after about 9 months, but still had about $1,000 in past-due debt that seemed impossible to pay off. She thought she would have to sell her house, but it was in serious need of repairs and remodeling and she knew she couldn't afford to have the work done. Nor did she want to move because for 60 years she'd known no other home. She decided she should sell her husband's tools, but wanted to check with her son before doing so.

She called her son and asked what he thought they were worth. He told his mother that he had hoped to get his father's tools, for sentimental reasons and for his own use. He said they were worth about $1,000. His mother was happy to learn of the estimated value, but was sad because she thought she'd have to sell the very things her son wanted most. She offered to sell them to him for half the amount he quoted. He said he had his own financial problems and couldn't cough up that much money for at least one year. In anger and frustration, he hung up on his aged mother.

Now the old lady was really upset. She didn't want to sell the tools--knowing how much they meant to her son--but she needed the money those tools represented. She went into the unfinished basement that was her husband's shop--his sanctuary from the world. Looking up at a beam, she saw a line of Prince Albert cans, the tobacco her husband smoked in his pipe. She could smell the faint aroma of the blend...stale but unmistakeable. Each red tin stood like a tiny sentry, keeping watch over her husband's tools. She sat on the rough stool that stood at his workbench. Then she began to speak to her husband's spirit. "Bob," she said to no one there, "I don't know what to do. Where am I going to get $1,000.?"

Suddenly, one of the Prince Albert tins fell off the beam above the workbench. It landed in front of her with a dull thud. She picked it up and noticed it seemed unusually heavy. She opened the tin and reached in. As she pulled out the wadded paper inside, she had no idea what her husband may have stuffed inside the can. To her disbelief, she held a small bundle of money...100 dollar bills...ten of them! She had $1,000 in her hands. Bob had answered her question...even in death. She quickly stood up and began looking through the other tins. None of the others held money, just the usual nuts and bolts and screws.

The elderly woman called her son and told him of her money from heaven. Her son was stunned and silent, but finally regained enough composure to express his relief, and his joy about his own good fortune--the tools would be his afterall.

The elderly lady paid off the health care bills, kept her home, and gave her son the tools when he visited her the following year. She lived another 4 years in that old house--never experiencing another financial difficulty--and died in her sleep with the Prince Albert can (long empty) on her dresser.

This is a true story, I knew the woman myself. I have one of the Prince Albert tins from her husbands' basement workshop. Mine never had any money in it, but I'm happy to have it anyway.

whoknows52

Jan 17, 2007
I must be changing the wrong P traps, cause after about a million of them I still ani't found nothing worth keeping

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
15 years ago my first wife and I loved going to yard sales. I thought that I bought the good stuff and she bought junk. Well, she brought home a bunch of playskool barns and animals. About an hour after our kids were playing with them, my son comes up to me with a diamond ring on his finger! He had the box in his other hand. It was in one of the barns! It was appraised at $600. I LET HER BUY ALL THE JUNK SHE WANTED AFTER THAT!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread