Best Metal Detector

Joeyboots

Jan 22, 2012
New York, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Pulse 8X/Garrett Gold Stinger/Tesoro Sand Shark/Tiger Shark/Falcon MD 20, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has probably already been discussed. I have been searching for a similar thread but have not found it. I just purchased a Fisher Pulse 8X very expensive piece of equipment. Works fantastic. I know its late but now I am wondering what treasure hunters here believe is the best overall all detector on the market? Thinking about capabilities, versatility and design.

Spectre

Sep 13, 2013
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
White's 5900Di Pro SL
White's 6000Di S3 (Modified)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's like asking what's the best car or what's the best eating utensil. Think about it.

Also, why buy an expensive detector THEN decide to do research after the fact?

OP
OP
Joeyboots

Joeyboots

Jan 22, 2012
New York, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Pulse 8X/Garrett Gold Stinger/Tesoro Sand Shark/Tiger Shark/Falcon MD 20, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your point in both regards. Just thinking all around best opinion. I made my decision, just want to gauge what others think as the best. Based on what I have experienced so far, I stand by my Pulse 8X.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as you are happy, that is all that counts. I presume you intend to take it diving?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This has probably already been discussed. I have been searching for a similar thread but have not found it. I just purchased a Fisher Pulse 8X very expensive piece of equipment. Works fantastic. I know its late but now I am wondering what treasure hunters here believe is the best overall all detector on the market? Thinking about capabilities, versatility and design.

Your J.W. Fishers Pulse 8X is a professional grade bullet proof top of the line submersible unit, arguably THE best detector in its class, in any market. If its new you can probably sell it back to the dealer if he has a soul. Or ebay it. As far as hobby machines go, you need to be more specific about your exact tectin needs or goals, are you coin shootin parks or nugget shootin or relic huntin hot ground or are you in the ocean, or fresh water. There are too many capabilities, versatility and designs. Its maddening.

OP
OP
Joeyboots

Joeyboots

Jan 22, 2012
New York, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do take it diving. I am glad you call it bulletproof as I haul it to some austere environments. I plan on also in the future getting the wide tow-able coil for large areas. Currently I am waiting for NYC Parks Permit to work some of the beaches local to me. Then the unit will go back to Dominican Republic next year for some UW work. So far I like this unit picks up everything metal. No big hits yet. But I have my share of brass, tin, aluminum, steel and copper.

Spectre

Sep 13, 2013
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
White's 5900Di Pro SL
White's 6000Di S3 (Modified)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For underwater work I'd definitely go with either Fisher or the Minelab Excal, both are great. And I think you're referring to a towfish/magnetometer for behind the boat. I so very much want to go wreck diving or scanning the open sea with a towfish and diving on locations that haven't been touched in hundreds of years, sigh!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
By bullet proof I mean it wont leak. You may wish to consider an excal or a cz21 I reckon, something that will scrim well and take depth. But still, you can rarely qualify any tecter as "the best metal detector". Actually, the pulse 8x is the last choice for 99.9999% of tecterists, its a bad choice for most.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread