Fascinating story of North Brother Island, NY

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had to share this with you on Tnet!! I came across this article on a place called North Brother Island, NY. It was a site of an old hospital and nursing residence way back and the history is very fascinating! It also held an infamous lady called "Typhoid Mary" who was held in isolation for 30 years until she died because she knowingly passed on the disease! The pics in the article are amazing. They are fascinating, eerie, and surreal! What a place to detect for you down there! Unfortunately it is off limits to the public since it is now a bird sanctuary. Bet there are some amazing treasures there in the ground! Anyway, hope you like the article and find this as interesting as I did!

Banished from New York for 30 years: The eerie photos of North Brother Island in the East River - where 'Typhoid Mary' was forced to live in isolation as the nation's first 'healthy carrier' of the disease | Mail Online

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats some awesome history.Thanks for sharing.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps some one could become "care taker" of the Island. They 'd be there legally.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter , Those are some of the most haunting and strangely beautiful images I've seen in a long time - Thank You !

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfiehunter , Those are some of the most haunting and strangely beautiful images I've seen in a long time - Thank You !

Argentium, I agree and felt the same way. The story of "Typhoid Mary" is fascinating to say the least! Too bad it is off limits to the public and metal detectorists. I can't imagine what is in the ground there! Glad you enjoyed it!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah , that looks like a dream area to detect for sure - but now I know I'm going to start reading up on typhoid Mary - this is the
real value in a site like this - the unending stories , of people and places , lives lived and forgotten until some tidbit like this shines
a light back on them for a moment .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread