How do you guys clean your coins?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Different coins/metals get cleaned in different ways. So for example, nickels you'd use naval jelly (IMHO), while IH's have a different metal composition. I'd use ammonia one them. And silver is yet another metal, so there's different methods for them (I use ezest).

But go figure, you'll get lots of different answers, as different people use different methods, all of which have their pro's and con's.

Whichever method you decide to try, be sure to practice on junky worthless ones first, before trying it on key date ones. The goal is to leave no trace of your effort (no shiny whizzed "cleaned" appearance, that is un-natural).

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I put my modern beach find coins in a solution of salt and vinegar,they come up ok,don't know how it will work with U S coins?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a rock/coin tumbler on the modern US coin I want to re-paitorat into circulation.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Coin cleaning is a science not easily learned. Save the salt and vinegar for salads, coins aren't edible.
The vast majority of dug coins are not valuable but it you find one that is post a photo on the forum
for cleaning and preservation before applying acidic kitchen condiments. Get the Redbook to see
what the coin you found is made of. Cleaning should mean preservation not damaging a find.

TonyTiger

Nov 5, 2013
Mellieha, Malta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass Umax and Minelab X Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi the coins I clean with salt and vinegar are modern euro coins found on the beach and used for spending.Any collectible coin I found would be cleaned in distilled water or olive oil

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use peroxide warmed on my reading lamp for old copper coins and Indian heads. It is amazing the way it cleans off just the crud. Many experts on here try the goggle advanced search bar here at t-net:thumbsup: for may tutorials.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ok, here's the simple non harmful way to clean any coin. I place the coins in a plastic tube type container and half fill it with CLOTHES WASHING DETERGENT. I place this plastic tube in sand in my vibrating type tumbler. Check them after about an hour. What some people don't realize is that clothes detergent is formulated to remove water base material while dish washing detergent is formulated to remove grease and oil base material. Once you get the dirt off, you can decide which way you want to go from there. Hay, it cleans my Indians! Frank...
cadillac com.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread