Serious Money ?

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow hunters,

Has anyone ever been able to turn their metal detecting hobby into serious money due to a valuable find ?

I haven't been on these forums very long, but it seems that folks value their ancient finds not for the monetary value but for the historical value. I was thinking that someone must have found an item(s) that had a value to good to pass up (say over $1000)..

Just wondering what folks do with their hard earned relics, coins, and jewelry..

Bud

OP
OP
B

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info on the post..

I agree that reasonable efforts should be made to return something found.

But.. I have to believe many rare coins have been found, relics with value, etc.. There is no chance to find the unfortunate person that lost those.

This was not a probe for morality or ethics, but I was just curious how many folks actually find stuff that has real monetary value. Reason is, that most people that see me out hunting always ask this question of me. And folks just seem to assume that is why we are out there looking in the first place. It seems they think metal detecting is synonymous with "panning for gold". It does annoy me, but i am always nice and respectful with my answer.

Bud

Probably not the best idea to post info on some valuable finds. This guy got an earful for his find:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/49170-need-help-found-5500-diamond-ring.html

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, there have been many valuable finds made over the years. The smart hunters keep these finds close to their vests and sell them privately to local collectors or through auction houses. You'll never see them on the forums if the finder is smart. I have several ex-wives, and the I.R.S. is not exactly a close friend, so when or if I find gold or a coin worth big money only my hairdresser knows for sure. :thumbsup:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I have a 55 gallon drum halfway full of bottlecaps,nails, and anything else I dig. Not including all the hooks and fishing line I pick up. When I got into this my first find was 2lb sports authority weight. Its more for the exercise for me also. This hobby puts u in a different state of mind.

OP
OP
B

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-)

Sure, there have been many valuable finds made over the years. The smart hunters keep these finds close to their vests and sell them privately to local collectors or through auction houses. You'll never see them on the forums if the finder is smart. I have several ex-wives, and the I.R.S. is not exactly a close friend, so when or if I find gold or a coin worth big money only my hairdresser knows for sure. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree.. We had a very tough day at work this week with layoffs. Friends of mine were walked out all day long. Even though my job was secure, it stressed me out huge.

I got home, changed, and headed to my favorite site. I got lost for a couple hours and cleared my mind. It was my first night hunt as it's real dark at 5:30pm now. Found clad and 50 gal drum fillers. Didn't care..

I have a 55 gallon drum halfway full of bottlecaps,nails, and anything else I dig. Not including all the hooks and fishing line I pick up. When I got into this my first find was 2lb sports authority weight. Its more for the exercise for me also. This hobby puts u in a different state of mind.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been many valuable finds posted here well over a $1000.00........... It doesn't take many gold rings found in a day to get over a $1000.00 in melt value alone...

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Currently I make enough in found loose change to just about cover the cost of batteries. However I live in a big city, if I don't walk to a site there is gas and parking fee's putting me way into the red overall. Really though its the journey. I know of one professional that has personally stated to me he's made in the millions in finds, but he doesn't sell any of it. I've never tried it, but I think if you plan on being a full time treasure hunter without other income you'll most likely be living in your car.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya check out "A Worthy Find, You May Have Missed... ". In this forum, then you tell me if it pays.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, but I wouldn't count on those kinds of finds on a regular basis. If you are a water or beach hunt you'll likely get more gold, but not enough to live solely off of.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't sell anything but never had a huge pricey find either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread