Beach hunting in Florida

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
After several years of inland hunting, I finally had the chance to go to Florida's beaches last week ;D. Unfortunately, I couldn't take my detector; traveling with two young children, my wife and all the luggage just made it impossible >:(. So, I spent three days at the beach, hunting seashells with the kids. It was worth it, though :). We stayed with my brother and his family at an Air Force base south of Cape Canaveral, and my sister-in-law started telling stories. Cape Canaveral, where many early space launches took place and where the Air Force still launches rockets, was once the site of many homes :o. There is an old lighthouse, and my sister-in-law has explored the remains of old homes with a man who, shall we say, has access ;). The government took over the Cape years ago, and there are many promising sites still there, probably unexplored. Imagine my frustration to hear that these places exist, so close and yet so far away! :-\ It was depressing to leave the sunny beaches of Florida and return today to the ice and snow of Pennsylvania :'(, but at least I'm a week closer to getting out there with the XLT again.

T

treasurejack

Halfdime,...I know the area like a second home, spend a lot of time fishing the Mosquito River and Canaveral coast. I just had to cancel my spring trip which I was suppose to begin next weekend, so look at the bright side, at least you got to go. lol

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
You were there at the treasure coast,and left you detector at home,Well i want to take this time and thank you,for leaving them treasures there for me in 2 weeks,when i head to cocoa beach,I lived there over 30 year's that is a nice place,What part of PA you from?.Ronald99 ???

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm back in sunny Zelienople, and you're welcome. I'd love to hear about others' experiences in and around the Space Coast. Sometimes you just have to do the prudent thing, instead of what you want to do, and this time it meant leaving the detector home. I wasn't really sure how the TSA folks looked on them, and didn't want to leave it at security in the airport. I also didn't want it stolen or lost by baggage handlers, or broken. I didn't see anyone detecting on the beach near Patrick AFB.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
We did the Disney vacation and hit Cocoa Beach for a couple days last year. I had no problems
with check in baggage and my detector. I tore it down, wrapped the coil and control
box in bubble wrap with my business card and cell number attached. Had no problems
with TSA or anyone else. Didn't get much swing time in, but what little I did was fun.
Early morning and late evening I seen lots of guys with PI detectors hitting the surf.
Mid day was kinda scarce.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I know a little about the Space Coast. I live here and also work at Cape Canaveral AFS. Halfdime is correct there was a number of homes on Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center. The Beaches are part of the National Seashore, no MDing permitted. I even tried to get permission to hunt on the AF facility. Was told no. Oh, well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

We have miles of beaches that you can hunt on. About 45minutes south of here is the Treasure Coast. From Sebastian Inlet south is where the Spanish Treasure fleet went down. I have not been lucky enough to find any goodies from the fleet, but my day is coming. I feel it in my bones.

There are two cemeteries located on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, left over from the town that used to be there. One is located on the median of the divided highway just inside the south gate. Another is tucked away in the woods about 4 miles farther north.

Out near Shuttle pad A, there is a palm tree lined road in the middle of no where. Must have been the main drive for a housing community. You really have to be looking for it to notice it.

The lighthouse is currently being refurbished. I have been tempted several times, for those of you who are wondering, but never did it. Like to keep my paycheck too much.
Can see it now. Yes, dear I was fired for MDing the old light house, just could not help myself.

You can view most all of the launches form the near by beaches, such as Jetty Park or Cherriedown park.

It is a nice area to live or visit.

Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread