The snow has melted and the soil is wet

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a pretty dry climate here. In the summer, the dirt is ground-crete. The snow has all melted and the soil is really wet down deep. Its getting warm enough to detect. Do you think the soil moisture will increase the depth? The "soil" is mainly sand and clay mixture. We don't have mineralization or hot rocks.

I'm going out to our hay field tommorrow to give it a shot. I own it so I can dig all the holes I want :). You wouldn't think there would be much there, but I've found some iron. Mainly farm stuff. You just can't get away from rusty iron, its everywhere. This is how it looked last summer.

Attachments

• Jul01$07.jpg
    Jul01$07.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 135

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I have heard that wet soil amplifies signals allowing deeper targets to be heard. I would detect if I wasn't going to get stuck in the mud ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Rob, the clay should hold the moisture content pretty well and the sandy loam should make for nice digging. I'd be making hay while the sun shined. ;) HH!

OP
OP
Rob in KS

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I was rushing things today. The soil isn't frozen solid but man its COLD. Just a little icy. It seemed to be messing with my detector. I dug a few holes with faint signals and there was nothing there. I'll wait for the soil to warm up some.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at it for 30 years and wet soil does make for a little better signal sometimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions