Will a hand held GPS do what I need? And which is the best?

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to simply roll my cursor over a location in Google Earth, get the Lat. and Long. coordinates, put them into a hand held and have it take me there. I've been looking at the specs for lots of units but none seem to clearly say they can do that. Is that ability common to all? Never had one so I'm just trying to find out.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks and HH!

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of them will do that. I have an older Etrex . no maps, nothing fancy, hit goto and it points the way. You can type in a point but its a pain with only 5 keys. You don't need any fancy software either. I use EasyGPS to send and receive waypoints to the GPS. It stores the waypoints and tracks in a GPX file that goes right into Google Earth. I store each "project" in a separate file. That way if I find something in the field, I can mark it, save it and import it to GE or back to the GPS if I need to. The GPX files make a nice backup for your points in case GE blows up. And with the tracks, you can see where you've hunted.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done that quite a few times with several different handhelds. They all got me within a few yards or closer to the desired site. If you enter the info carefully and the spot on Google Earth is mapped accurately, you'll definitely be close when you reach the area. Usually within several yards.
luvsdux

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whichever brand you use, remember, Google Earth uses NAD83 (WGS84). Most topo maps use NAD27. Since you probably cannot change Google to NAD27, you need to change the GPS unit to be WGS84 so you are using the same method. Otherwise you may be as much as 1/4 mile difference in locations on the ground. Actually sounds worse than it is. Look at the write-up on the lower left corner of the topo to get the difference. TTC

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Rebel! Seems to be exactly what I need.
Best,
Bruce
You're quite welcome Bruce.:occasion14:

It used to be a free service but now it's about $30.00 for the Elite package. It's a lot cheaper than buying a GPS unit. It does eat up battery power, so only use it when you need to get in or out.

The more time I spend digging & the less time walking around blind looking for a site is money & time well spent. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread