folsom lake sra low low water level

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quite a few MD's there. And nope - no rangers or leo's - no one. People actually driving down to the water line to park too. One big 4X truck spinning sand everywhere. Looked like the beach in San Diego there were so many people. Kinda sad really. One fee taker at the booth (Brown's Ravine) that was way overworked. Took us 1/2 an hour just to get from Green Valley road to the booth to pay and we stayed maybe 2 hours. There were still cars backed up out on to Green Valley road waiting to get in as we left. Quite a few horses and riders also - though they seemed to be more respectful than the hikers.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I heard last year that they had restricted areas on the beaches to not be metal detected and I was told by the head of the area that only the swim beach at end of Douglas Blvd could be detected and all historic stuff could not be kept. So did they change this requirement? Reason I asked is that someone had had a metal detector confiscated for detecting on wrong beach and I was thinking of going to detect but decided against it since they only charge $12 to park.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey I heard last year that they had restricted areas on the beaches to not be metal detected and I was told by the head of the area that only the swim beach at end of Douglas Blvd could be detected and all historic stuff could not be kept. So did they change this requirement? Reason I asked is that someone had had a metal detector confiscated for detecting on wrong beach and I was thinking of going to detect but decided against it since they only charge $12 to park.

well, to answer your question, it seems from sidvail's observation, that apparently people are doing it, and not being bothered. And so too have others, in years past, done some of the fingers further up in the canyons (there's other foundations further up, yet not as colorful as mormon island), and no one cared.

But d/t all the news bruhaha surrounding this particular location, I'd say that those persons who are apparently not being bothered, are probably just lucky. Not "bumping into the right persons". Ie.: no one down there that cares less perhaps then, But sure, an archie could be happen to waltz by on a visit from Sacramento, or a ranger in a bad mood, and sure, might ticket them.

So like with any public location, a little discretion is in order. In some places, truly no one cares. While at others, well..... they can be sacred historic monuments, so ..... you gotta use a little common sense :)

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, to answer your question, it seems from sidvail's observation, that apparently people are doing it, and not being bothered. And so too have others, in years past, done some of the fingers further up in the canyons (there's other foundations further up, yet not as colorful as mormon island), and no one cared.

But d/t all the news bruhaha surrounding this particular location, I'd say that those persons who are apparently not being bothered, are probably just lucky. Not "bumping into the right persons". Ie.: no one down there that cares less perhaps then, But sure, an archie could be happen to waltz by on a visit from Sacramento, or a ranger in a bad mood, and sure, might ticket them.

So like with any public location, a little discretion is in order. In some places, truly no one cares. While at others, well..... they can be sacred historic monuments, so ..... you gotta use a little common sense :)

Good read! Thanks for directing me here Tom!

Diggum

Greenie
Apr 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now there's a statement that makes sense. I still don't get your angle for the most part (and the other thread where I questioned your point looks to be gone or I just can't find it, so I missed any clarification you might have given there), but this is clear, and I agree with it. Common sense should prevail.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's a statement that makes sense. I still don't get your angle for the most part (and the other thread where I questioned your point looks to be gone or I just can't find it, so I missed any clarification you might have given there), but this is clear, and I agree with it. Common sense should prevail.

Diggum, Tom is rather verbose in his postings, but the idea he tries to instill is this: Don't automatically run to the nearest "official" person to ask permission to metal detect on public grounds. Do you own foot-work and research if there are any laws specifically banning metal detecting. If no law exist, you are good to go. Don't go out of your way to find someone to tell you "no".

Like his last post, it's just common sense.

Diggum

Greenie
Apr 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggum, Tom is rather verbose in his postings, but the idea he tries to instill is this: Don't automatically run to the nearest "official" person to ask permission to metal detect on public grounds. Do you own foot-work and research if there are any laws specifically banning metal detecting. If no law exist, you are good to go. Don't go out of your way to find someone to tell you "no".

Like his last post, it's just common sense.

Verbose, yes.

Thanks for clarifying, Jason.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
deep-digger-dan, thanx for the cool youtube link! Crazy that there were various people metal detecting, eh? However, since the rules state you can't take anything, then no doubt, they put their seated coins there, in the piles, wiht the square nails, glass fragments, and other such things. No doubt. Of course.

Did you notice that starting at 1:17 there is a clear shot of one of the fellows detecting. If it were really an all-fired imminent ticket/jail sort of offense .......... then why doesn't someone freeze-frame that, enlarge it, and put it on America's most wanted? CERTAINLY someone could identify that miscreant from this youtube video, right? And then we could be done away with such rabble-rousers. Harrummmphhh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions