LIDAR for mapping colonial New England

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's pretty dang cool! I'm sure that it's unavailable to any of us lowly commoners though, and I don't see public funded archies making their lidar data available.

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lidar... similar to radar, but with lasers. Can be done with incredibly high resolution and has the ability to define surface features, even through forest canopy and other vegetation. It is very costly, though... especially if done on a large scale. I used to work with lidar data and have often thought how useful it would be for metal detecting haha... thanks for the link! interesting read :)

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm researching using this technique to do low-cost terrain mapping for relic hunting.

There is certainly nothing out there cheap enough, but it's looks possible to hack something together.

Here's a thread where UAV builders were talking about this sort of thing just over a year ago. Penetrating vegetation should just be a matter of using an IR laser of the appropriate wavelength - it could even penetrate topsoil/hummus to a small degree.

Thermal might also be an option, though more limited in application. If there's a stone foundation 6" underground in a dirt field, that area would take longer to heat as the sun rises, leaving a detectable area of cooler ground above it. This would require the cooperation of weather, though.

My ideal right now is a balloon-mounted LIDAR-based telemetry package. Attach it to a tethered balloon filled with helium from Walmart, let it do it's thing, then bring it down and hook it up to a laptop. No promises, but I think I could put together such a beast for a retail price of around $20k - not cheap, but not prohibitive, either. About the same price threshold as a GPR.

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aerial photos reveal foundations during a drought season in G.B.
I wonder what more could be found with modern sensors?

Last edited:

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aerial photos reveal foundations during a drought season in G.B.
What more could be found with modern sensors?

Lots.

As I touched on above, thermal cameras can see differences in heat due to the makeup of materials under the surface. Lasers in the non-visible spectrum can see through vegetation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread