Besides black sand and quartz, what are the most common indicators?

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love this question. Gold buddies I have found are: lead bb s buck shot. And in very small amounts, Garnets, rubies, saphires, diamonds, platinum, iron wire, an unknown yellowish grain of something( wish I had a geiger counter that day). Black heavy stones ( size of b b s) mercury covered gold. What else? A rusty hand trowel( a hand trowel is a small shovel, btw) Nails, keys, pocket Knife. Bullet slugs. Thats it so far. These are excellent indicator for gold. In the California mother load area, there are no plant indicators for gold. There is an understanding that gravity is king of gold and water the catalyst for dispersion and transportation of gold. If you are finding these and no gold, find a new location.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't there certain plants that grow around where gold is found, or is that just a myth?

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks golden sluice, but I meant natural gold side kicks. But your responses are helping. MSbeepbeep I have heard that moss can point the way when it comes to plants, if someone could expand on that for me please. And we have ton's of black rocks on our claim, but I thought they were like Feldspar, very abundant and "just there", no rhythm or reason. And if platinum is a heavy, why is it not found more with gold, is that an abundance thing too?
Also, speaking of golden sluices "rusty rag", I heard that rust is a good sign, is that true?
Wishbone

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mineral loving plants, such as the 'trumpit' plant are a good indicator also.
Soil that is darker in color (not always) then the surrounding soil.
But, like you say. Gold is where you find it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
River Cane is a good indicator where Gold can sometimes be found, especially in known Gold producing areas. Native American Indians would often plant the River Cane along these Gold bearing rivers, then when the Cane would get to a fairly large size, they would cut it down and burn it to retrieve the Gold.

Personally, I love the Clay layers or whitish to brownish clays and especially the greyish/blue clays (the blue usually indicates there is also Silver).

Frank

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I got tiny brass neck-less links out of my sluice one time. I'm not sure, but they don't look like gold, but I thought that finding brass was a good indicator that I wasn't letting any gold get away.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my limited experience of only prospecting in Indiana I've found that geographic location makes all the difference in whether you find gold at the end of the day regardless of the indicators. I've found black sand, agate, lead shot, bullets etc. right near my home....but no gold. Drive half way across the state and find these same indicators and you'll most likely find gold. So just finding indicators doesn't always mean your gonna find gold. Indiana has placer gold and they say it probably exist all across the northern half of the state. You'll play heck getting to most of it though. Do your geographic research and you increase your odds. Understand geology and hydrology and increase your odds even more. Then get wet and dirty and if there's gold in your pan at the end of the day you did it all right. In Indiana just finding indicators won't always get the gold.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks hunter, I am practicing due diligence when it comes to geology and hydro, but the tips you can get from people like goldenray and huntsman is invalueable. When I asked the question I didn't even think of plants (just moss)...sheer genius.
If I could get a picture of the trumpits or river cane I could see if it grows here (BC Canada). I'm a major rookie miner!
I found a pink rock and got all excited because it was different and "cool". I found out it was Feldspar and 60% of the earth's crust is made of it. Felt like an idiot. My partner keeps telling me that, "Mica isn't cool just because it sparkles"....lol.
I have found out that rust means a highly mineralised area, and that might be a good sign.
Thanks for the help, and keep those tips coming please. I love it.
Wishbone

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have any clue how to prospect in BC but I would try to find the inside bend of a tributary (river or creek) with a gravel bar sitting on bedrock and start moving material at the front or the tail of that bar and get down to the bedrock. You can grid it out and try sample holes but if there's not too much overburden just start moving material and work into the bar. Simple right? Oh how I wish it was. Lot of thing have to come together. I've done a lot of stupid stuff and I'm almost embarrassed to say this. I worked a section of creek here in IN most of the summer a couple years back and did ok and found some gold. I had read about dowsing for gold right here on the Tnet but thought it was just plan craziness. Out of curiosity I made me up some brass rods and went back to the bar I had been working all summer and dowsed the whole thing. This bar is probably a 100'+ on the radius and 20' wide at its widest point. The head and tail showed something was different when dowsed. I moved over about 6' from where I had been digging (right where the rods seem to show some sort of anomaly). I had my best cleanouts for the last three trips of the season. Still can't really believe it but I can tell you I never leave home without them anymore. Could be a complete coincidence and I can't explain it and won't even try.

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter you are awesome!! I just made my first set of dowsing rods last weekend. #14 copper for mine, I thought that since I don't have a clue anyways, dowsing ain't gunna make me any dumber. Perhaps an open mind is gold in itself. Take a look at my interactions in the dowsing forum. I'm still shaking my head how people from different parts of the globe can all gravitate to the same area??
This forum is the coolest thing EVER!
Wishbone

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks hunter, I am practicing due diligence when it comes to geology and hydro, but the tips you can get from people like goldenray and huntsman is invalueable. When I asked the question I didn't even think of plants (just moss)...sheer genius.
If I could get a picture of the trumpits or river cane I could see if it grows here (BC Canada). I'm a major rookie miner!
I found a pink rock and got all excited because it was different and "cool". I found out it was Feldspar and 60% of the earth's crust is made of it. Felt like an idiot. My partner keeps telling me that, "Mica isn't cool just because it sparkles"....lol.
I have found out that rust means a highly mineralised area, and that might be a good sign.
Thanks for the help, and keep those tips coming please. I love it.
Wishbone

Wishbone,

I am glad I could help! I would bet that River Cane grows somewhere in BC as it is found across many areas of the United States. The images at the Google links below may help!

https://www.google.com/search?q=riv...IDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1350&bih=512#imgdii=_

https://www.google.com/search?q=tru...3ICgBw&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1350&bih=512

Frank

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish you the best of luck, I have a feeling you will do just fine finding gold. I think what works is instinct but most of the time we ignore it, sometimes we find a way to follow it as with dowsing rods. GL. HH. Remember to post pics!

OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll definitely send pic's Msbeepbeep. We're going to claim the second area we have "a feeling" about next week. I'll keep you up to date.
Take care always.
Wishbone

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
After further research, it appears that neither River Cane or Trumpets grow that far North! However, given the right conditions, who knows what is possible! There may be plants similar or somewhat similar to River Cane that Native Indians planted to recover Gold, so check with some local Oldtimer Prospectors or Indians and they may know what to look for.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those plants may not be this far north Frank, but your replies got me thinking. So I'm researching plants that thrive in a highly mineralised area. And which ones are in MY area. When I get a plant name, I Google image it, and print it out to take with me. Even if it doesn't help me find gold, I'll still learn more about my environment.
I love no lose situations...lol. The one I think we missed was copper? Doesn't gold like to hang out with copper?
Wishbone

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to understanding the basics about how alluvial gold will behave in a water channel (river, creek ) You should bone up on the
historical gold recovery of any regions that you are interested in prospecting prior to putting in a ton of time , energy , and expense .
The importance of the historical track record is that alluvial gold is also "erosional" . The same natural forces that put gold into that
stream or river a century ago , are continuing to do so today , and will continue to do so . Your state will likely have a membership
the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America ) which may be helpful in providing information regarding access to productive
sites.

Wishbone - I just realized that you fly the Maple Leaf - so my last comment concerning the GPAA will not apply - unless Y'all have
a Canadian version of same .

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wishbone

Jan 5, 2014
BC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Argentium, we have the same sort of thing here. It's super interesting to read about the geology and history of the area. The geologists are all using crazy word's that end with "ite", the placer people have taught me a lot about hydro and specific gravity, and the lode miners have given me a whole new respect for "quartz".
I've got a Canadian winter, and no life...lol. Lot's of time to learn here.
Thanks for teaching me.
Wishbone

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Argentium, we have the same sort of thing here. It's super interesting to read about the geology and history of the area. The geologists are all using crazy word's that end with "ite", the placer people have taught me a lot about hydro and specific gravity, and the lode miners have given me a whole new respect for "quartz".
I've got a Canadian winter, and no life...lol. Lot's of time to learn here.
Thanks for teaching me.
Wishbone

Spend the time this winter reading posts in the prospecting section of T-Net. You will learn so much.
Maybe Lanny in AB can help with the plants in gold areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread