OP
OP
Ryan1979

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
If I could get something in the $100-$150 range that would be great. Is there anything worth getting in that range?

Thanks

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your willing to go $200 you could get an Ace 250 which seems to be a really popular model around here. you don't want to go too cheap because you will sacrifice performance and you don't want to have to spend that kind of money twice (not that you won't upgrade after your an addict ;D )

There are actually a couple of guys here who sell detectors, I'm certain they could get you into a good model at a reasonable price, Tony is one of them, not sure what his site is but if you look around you will find him.

Good luck and hope to see postings of your finds

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
check out tesoro campadre.when you upgrade it makes a nice backup or lender.

Hoosier Kingfisher

Feb 26, 2007
Central Indiana
Seems to be the opinion of most on this forum that the Garrett ACE250 is the best beginers detector for the money. :D About 215.00 If you get an El cheapo You may quickly become discouraged. >:( Good luck,Ron :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure you can get a detector for that price range, but don't. It will not do as well as you'd want. The Garrett ACE 250 has a lot of happy users right now and it runs near $200.00. Check out Tony's web site. http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/

Good Luck,
Sandman

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
IMHO the question is, what type of treasure are you looking for, Gold, Silver or Relics? I would suggest buying a mid priced detector, $500.00 to $800.00. Then if you don't get hooked or have enough time to dedicate to detecting you can sell it and get most of your money back. You should also consider a used detector from a known source.

Oh yeah, where do you plan on hunting, saltwater beaches, lakes, turf, etc.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I definitely suggest you bump it up to the ACE 250.
I had a Radio Shack BH (Discovery 1100) that my hubby bought me for Xmas. Worked fine, but I upgraded to the ACE a few weeks ago and it definitely finds more that the BH. My clad average has significantly increased and it has more good features.

I bought it online for $215 (free shipping) and lots of extra goodies. The only additional thing you really need with the ACE is Headphones!!! That sucker is loud! But, I got my headphones at Radio Shack on sale for $10.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Hi and welcome. You could go with the Ace150 at around 152.00 or if you can go with the Ace250 for 212.45. Either way it will get you started with a quality detector that will find a lot of stuff for you.
If you need any more help please let me know.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
If you hunt wet saltwater beaches, below the tideline, or in highly mineralized ground the ACE won't work, will it?

That's why the type of area you plan on hunting, and what you will be looking for is a major factor on the detector of choice.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace will work at beaches....No problems with mine there...but then again...I don't get down to the water with it. I'm too clumsy and would probably end up on my face and the detector in the water..lol

OP
OP
Ryan1979

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
As far as where I'm going to be hunting, I plan on going first to my family's original homestead in Western Wisconsin near Glenwood City (1 hour east of the Twin Cities). I found out exactly where it was from my grandfather who remembers being there as a kid. It was abandoned around 1920 when the family moved to town. All of the buildings are gone now and all that is left are the foundations for house, barn, shed, etc. I grew up in the same town (Glenwood) and I know the person that now owns the property. I thought I would start there to see if I could find anything interesting from that time period and better yet from my ancestors. The homestead was originally settled about 1900. My second plan is to hunt around Turtle Lake, Wisconsin on some state land. I talked to an old guy years ago near where I deer hunt and he showed me an old stage coach line from the 1800's. There are a few foundations from homesteads deep in the woods as well as some strewn trash from a 1930 ish logging camp. I thought that would give me a good start. I'd mostly be working around the edges of woods and fields where the buildings used to sit. Would the ACE work well for this type of hunting. I don't plan on doing any shorelines or water hunting.

Thanks

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The Ace250 would do well for you in this type of hunting. Remember , it is still just a starter unit but can go and get many targets that some higher priced detectors will not. 8)

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
When you get going you might want to go a few miles north to Shell Lake, a mile south of town there used to be an old restraunt or bar (don't remember) then it was a farm for 50+ years. To my knowledge it has never been hunted and I am 95% sure the owner will let you. He bought it about 2 years ago, the reason it wasn't hunted prior was the owners at the time.

Brad

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ryan. This might be a funny question, but, How old are you.

OP
OP
Ryan1979

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
slowreaper said:
When you get going you might want to go a few miles north to Shell Lake, a mile south of town there used to be an old restraunt or bar (don't remember) then it was a farm for 50+ years. To my knowledge it has never been hunted and I am 95% sure the owner will let you. He bought it about 2 years ago, the reason it wasn't hunted prior was the owners at the time.

Brad

I get up to Shell Lake once or twice a year. My step-grandfather lives just southwest of Shell Lake. Is this area near the high school, or further south on 63?

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
It is at the mile crossing, where "D" heads toward Sarona, turn the other dirrection, it is the first place on top of the hill on the left, stone pillars at the enterance, the house might be gone now I don't know. If your interested pm me and I will give you the owners name and contact number

Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions