grading coins

dlvasil

Jan 10, 2007
ravenna, ohio
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250
I have only got a couple hours under my belt but today I finally found my 1st coins with my 250! (one each...1912, 1939-s, 1937, 1946 wheat penny) As soon as I got home I went online to a couple web sites and it's all Greek to me! I was wondering what your favorite web site for evaluating coins and their approximate value.
thanks
David Vasil
Ravenna, Ohio

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I would say the PCGS price guide for prices and photos.........
http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

But Ebay's completed listings can also give you a good idea of what people are actually paying. Do a search for a particular coin and filter it so you can see high, low and median sold prices. The heritage auction site has plenty of auctions with photos to compare.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Whitmans 2007 Bluebook. They give you est. dealer buy prices. I like these prices because they are very close to what a dealer will offer you. Redbook is fine and dandy, however the prices are retail and no dealer buys at retail. Unless you have a super rare coin that will fetch more then a retail price from those must have collectors.

PCGS is a great and trusted grading service, however they are telling me my 1916-D buffalo in G-4 condition is worth $16.00. I would love to see them try and sell it for that price. Bluebook says $6.00, a realistic price that I can expect to get for the coin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions