I will give them a little credit ...

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Im sorry, but this is another 'Diggers' thread. I had seen the first couple episodes when it was first televised, but I pretty much gave up on it because of all the dumb stuff. Just by dumb luck I ran across a couple new episodes last evening, while I was surfing the guide, so I watched them (2). The trailer/teaser that lead into the first show, made me say "Oh No !" because there was an excavator and a skid steer. I thought.. here we go again! But I didn't realize they were looking for a 13 ft long target. So I guess that's acceptable :-) What I was glad to see.... they filled their holes. Put their trash in their pouch. And they specifically mentioned respecting landowners and respecting their property. They also mentioned to always get permission. I liked it. I also enjoyed it because they weren't too far from here, hunting the same type sites that I do. So although the show still has dumb stunts, I think they addressed some of the concerns mentioned in other threads. Maybe they are watching and listening?!?! Ill give them a little credit.

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim Saylor is from here in Cedar Rapids. He comes back and visits. My wifes friend is his brothers friend so she gets to meet him and he did a personal video for me. He truly loves digging and gets excited finding stuff. Yes it is a good thing they now recognize they have influenced young kids that disrespect the land and rights, which is why they now make those statements.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was stupidity like rolling on the ground but I give them credit for mentioning at the end that laws should be followed etc.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree on including the laws etc. at the end, but the hype over targets turns me off. Also, on the episode I just watched I thought it was interesting that after they'd made a very big deal about possibly digging a pewter minnie ball that right away they found one. Planted targets???
luvsdux

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on including the laws etc. at the end, but the hype over targets turns me off. Also, on the episode I just watched I thought it was interesting that after they'd made a very big deal about possibly digging a pewter minnie ball that right away they found one. Planted targets???
luvsdux

The more likely scenario is that they found the pewter musketball, then went back and filmed all the spots about the legend of them, and the hopes of finding one. That musketball looked old, and like it had been in the ground for a long time.

We have a similar legend here in Florida, and I would keep quiet about the fact, unless I actually found one of the fabled musketballs.

They still need to tone the jumping around and grass eating waaay down.

Maybe they got worms from eating all the dirt, grass, and cow patties, and need to scoot around on the ground so much because of that??

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I'm sure they only done that from the backlash they have received on the forums and the detecting community in general. I did see a post recently that mentions a law in Texas that if an item is so old its illegal to remove and keep it and there's a law like that in my state as well, I'm sure in almost every state there's a law like that so we are all breaking the laws. These laws aren't fair and like I've said before there is no way to prove when the coin or other object was lost, there have been people on this site that have found a silver dollar in the wood chips on a playground that's only been there for 5yrs and most likely some kid got into his dads coin collection then lost it at the playground. They would have to prove when it was lost which they can't do which is great for us, so check your state laws on artifacts and I'll bet there's a law on the books about this. How many times has a state or county owned site was off limits because of historical value only later to be developed by a big corporation, it just depends on who you are if your regular Joe then they don't want you to find something worth a buck without them getting there share, they would rather it rot in the ground before we get it.

Last edited:

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is probably no doubt that they go a bit over the top when an artifact is discovered, however, they have done a lot for the hobby. I posted here before as I saw it at my work place. Three family's, yes family's, are now detecting after dvr'ing the shows. They bought three high end, and two mid range machines, and are having a ball! Well at least until the snow dropped. They all reported that it is way more technical than they thought. I watch them all as there is always a lot to learn. Everyone has various attention spans, likes, and dislikes, so if it is not for you change the channel. Maybe you change the channel and watch something that I don't like, well that is why we live in freedom. Remember, freedom is not free!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I'm sure they only done that from the backlash they have received on the forums and the detecting community in general. I did see a post recently that mentions a law in Texas that if an item is so old its illegal to remove and keep it and there's a law like that in my state as well, I'm sure in almost every state there's a law like that so we are all breaking the laws. These laws aren't fair and like I've said before there is no way to prove when the coin or other object was lost, there have been people on this site that have found a silver dollar in the wood chips on a playground that's only been there for 5yrs and most likely some kid got into his dads coin collection then lost it at the playground. They would have to prove when it was lost which they can't do which is great for us, so check your state laws on artifacts and I'll bet there's a law on the books about this. How many times has a state or county owned site was off limits because of historical value only later to be developed by a big corporation, it just depends on who you are if your regular Joe then they don't want you to find something worth a buck without them getting there share, they would rather it rot in the ground before we get it.

Ya in state parks here it's 50 years, so nobody attempt to remove me, it's illegal!

I'm glad the show has a positive out come for people, personally I only got thru half a show, and it wasn't the grass eating one. I don't watch a lot of shows, I'd rather be out detecting myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread