(strangely lacking) affordable quality Completely foldable / telescoping detector

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all, After a year or two of lurking , I finally decided to post a question. I use a Minelab SGT in Southern California and I have found a new favorite spot... It is perfectly legal to hunt there, It is south of the border and I usually find a surprising amount of modern coins and even some nice jewelry whenever I go... I fit in well in Mexico, have a second home there. I have been hunting without any problems. The problem lies in carrying a machine gun looking thing down to my hunting gounds, which requires taking a half mile walk..... My only issue is, that while I am perfectly comfortable being there the location is not at all conducive to walking a rather large obvious looking metal detector down to my hunting grounds.... Also, I like to keep the GT on its pole, due to the situation that arises when you have to dig a target, and don't want to feel like you are tied to the machine. (When you are wearing the central unit around your neck) Also the GT costs a grand and I wouldn't want to lose it to a ratero or have it confiscated. The only thing I have seen that is somewhat similiar to what I have envisioned is the Garret GTX pulse induction detector, but it costs $2200, is two heavy, and overall two much detector for what I am looking for. It has a telescoping stock and completely folds into a very small package. The coil wire is enclosed in the stock. I really like its design, and I am amazed that it hasn't been copied or imitated Aside from the costs issue, is it looks a lot like a weapon, and would not fare well for the use that I have intended. I would like a quality set up that costs under $500 or so that telescopes and folds like the Garret GTX so that it could easily be carried in a medium sized back pack. I have thought about perhaps canabalizing an ATX pro, but before I reinvent the wheel any suggestions that may be offered would be greatly appreciated. Its nice to be here, happy hunting and thank you...

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much all of the Tesoro line can be disassembled and easily carried in a back pack, I've done it many times.
luvsdux

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The ATX is similar to an ARMY unit used to find mines. It also folds up small. Only problem is it cost about the same. I don't know what you are looking for. How much depth do you need. Whites made a Sierra Madre/ULA3 that would go down 5' with the 15" coil. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the sovereign GT works very well there. Most targets are at 1-6". The sand is almost always mineralized and wet, but there are far more targets then stateside. Im sure even a cheaper detector would work, but I would like to continue benefitting from the better technology. I know that many detectors can be disassembled, but it s a huge pain in the Axx to put them together just right every time you hunt. Then after 5 hours of searching walking and digging, the thought of methodically just stripping it all down and packing it up is unpleasant to say the least. Considering the nature of our hobby, I'm amazed that there arn't more setups like the ATX. I used one in Texas for a whole day and though I though it was heavy, I found its ruggedness and compact nature unlike anything I have ever hunted with.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Whites backpack ( they are 28" tall). I leave the coil on lower rod and the control box on upper rod. It all packs into BP with only about 6" of upper rod sticking out. After hiking to hunting area unpack and slide two rods together and your ready to hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff ,
Thats a good Idea, I haven't thought of that, Today I went to home depot and considered using one of those fiberglass pole extensions that unscrews in the middle and pulls out. It seems to be exactly the same material that the ATX uses, only the coil cable is the old telephone handset curled type and is fitted into the pole itself.
Im going to look at some tripods.....

Hi fletch
I'll check it out. My coil cable is so long tat it twists around the rod about ten times. I'll look into it again,
Thanks....

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi fletch I'll check it out. My coil cable is so long tat it twists around the rod about ten times. I'll look into it again, Thanks....

I don't mean to brag, but I'm told I've been blessed with a really long cable........

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just leave enough slack between upper Velcro and lower rod where when cable is unwrapped you can remove lower rod from upper rod. Then when you assemble just twist lower rod 4-5 times to keep excess cable snug on upper rod. The lower rod clamps help out a lot also.

Attachments

• image-3851761171.jpg
    image-3851761171.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3273865722.jpg
    image-3273865722.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3180505396.jpg
    image-3180505396.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2363113314.jpg
    image-2363113314.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just leave enough slack between upper Velcro and lower rod where when cable is unwrapped you can remove lower rod from upper rod. Then when you assemble just twist lower rod 4-5 times to keep excess cable snug on upper rod. The lower rod clamps help out a lot also.

Thx again fletch.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I know of it.... and I though about it. Its mentioned in a positive light often enough in MD circles, My SGT is not waterproof, but neither is the deus... it certainly is with looking into, thx.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread