Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KG goes nuts over double gilt flat button - pop up says -" these buttons are very rare "
What! - maybe where they are from - Ive found hundreds in old fields and cellar holes around New England
I guess treble gilt - is extremely rare

then they said that colonial coins are very rare on another pop up - maybe for those 2
but for New Englanders - Ive had very few farm field hunts where I didnt get one - granted
most are smooth or in rough shape - they brought barrels of KG coppers over here and kegs and kegs of spanish silver

was used in colonial America - who does their research ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's the archies who call them rare.
either because they rarely pick the right spot to excavate when they do their "rare" Digs.
or because they want people to think detectors are finding Rare stuff

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding period flatbuttons - i will yell over to a partner or partners and inform them i got one - just to let them know
there is period stuff there - but unless there's a regiment # or Washingotn eagle on it - I aint gonna drop my machine and run 50 yrds to tell
them
I feel that info like that is bad for newbies - or anyone getting into the hobby
I have shown farmers over the yrs flat buttons and worn coppers found on their property - asked if they wanted any of them
what if they see this show - they are gonna think I found something rare either in the past or in the present

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even know when the show is on anymore. I just can't stand all the conjectures about "this probably came from this historical event" type of stuff. Of course every little thing is "rare" they want folks to think they are always finding the good stuff, no, I won't even go near their terminology for it, but it is TV and hype sadly is the norm. I like the old stuff too, and it would have made me nuts to hear them call an old flat button or a toasted copper rare. I agree that it will only hurt us due to folks thinking there is any real value in much of what they find. Bottom line is that it is a TV show, meant to entertain the masses, and the diggers and the producers mostly want ratings more than truth.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I don't even know when the show is on anymore. I just can't stand all the conjectures about "this probably came from this historical event" type of stuff. Of course every little thing is "rare" they want folks to think they are always finding the good stuff, no, I won't even go near their terminology for it, but it is TV and hype sadly is the norm. I like the old stuff too, and it would have made me nuts to hear them call an old flat button or a toasted copper rare. I agree that it will only hurt us due to folks thinking there is any real value in much of what they find. Bottom line is that it is a TV show, meant to entertain the masses, and the diggers and the producers mostly want ratings more than truth.
But they found General Custer's bullet last night..... :hello2: Seriously, I understand that what we do is normally pretty boring and isn't what the network would think makes for an interesting show but like I said in the other "diggers" thread, do they really need to act like they got bit by a poison spider everytime the stick their hand in a hole ?

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now I will admit, I found onna them "rare" flat buttons a few months ago and I was excited since I'm relatively new to hunting a lot and even took it to show and tell at my YMCA and made all my friends look at it but I did not even attempt a cartwheel.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hollywood has to hype shows to make their money. Just wait till they start throwing half clad women in, then love affairs and murder, and when all else fails they bring out the big guns- aliens / ET phone home. If the show makes it that far. The hobby requires patience, persistence, & research, not glitz, fast track hype.
If spring were here we could all go play outside!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I will admit, I found onna them "rare" flat buttons a few months ago and I was excited since I'm relatively new to hunting a lot and even took it to show and tell at my YMCA and made all my friends look at it but I did not even attempt a cartwheel.

C'mon Coily, 'fess up!! Heard you didn't do a cartwheel, just climbed the bushes outside the Y and then slid down the banister!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

C'mon Coily, 'fess up!! Heard you didn't do a cartwheel, just climbed the bushes outside the Y and then slid down the banister!!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife was flipping through the channels last night, and up popped diggers. Never watched it so we decided to give it a go. Are these guys for real? They act like Ren&Stimpy on crack! I hate to admit it, but I sat through 2 episodes. I guess it was like watching a train wreck, It was horrible, but I just had to look! I'll bet the next episode will be those guys running through the front doors of the Smithsonian like they just stepped in a pile of fire ants to donate their General Custer bullet :laughing7:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch the show just to see their finds.I don't pay attention to the popups of the supposed value of the object.Its entertainment

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch the show just to see their finds.I don't pay attention to the popups of the supposed value of the object.Its entertainment

INSTEAD OF THE POP UPS - WHO KNOWS WHO ACTUALLY ADDS THEM - BUT INSTAED OF SOME OF THE JIBBERISH - RATHER HAVE THE HUNTER SAY THAT THERE ARE RARE VARIETIES OF THIS OR THAT OUT THERE - BUT AFTER WHAT - 3 SEASONS - THESE GUYS STILL DONT KNOW HALF THE TIME WHAT THEY GOT - THEY NEED MORE KNOWLEDGABLE HUNTERS WITH THEM OR THEY NEED TO MAYBE READ MORE POSTS FROM FORUMS THAT HAS KNOWLEDGABLE GUYS ON IT AND LOOK THRU ALL THE FINDS AND LEARN
-ANOTHER THING THAT GETS ME - RINGMASTER - HOW MANY RINGS HAS THIS GUY FOUND - MOST YEARS I PROBABLY FIND MORE EACH YEAR THAN HE HAS TOTAL - AND KING GEORGE -KG - I PROBABLY HAD MORE KG COPPERS BY AGE 18 THAN HE HAS NOW -AND IM 50 NOW
I WAS ACTUALLY CONTACTED BY PEOPLE FROM THE SHOW AND ASKED MY OPINION AFTER SEASON ONE - I THINK OTHERS WERE TOO
DOESNT SEEM LIKE THEY TOOK ANYONE ADVICE THOUGH
WHATS FUNNY IS - IM SCORING ABOUT 90% AT GUESSING WHAT THEY FOUND BEFORE THEY PULL IT OUT - MY GIRLFRIEND THINKS ITS FUNNY
EXAMPLE: WHEN THEY SAID THEY COULD HAVE CHEST OF GOLD - BEFORE THEY DUG I SAID "PROBABLY PIECE OF CAST IRON STOVE" - YUP

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that I've noticed from watching the show( and I've only watched it since September) is they don't really hunt the east coast and when they do, its area's that probably have been pounded before. Items like KGS are much harder to find in places further away, they just didn't make it there. I think that they know what they might be digging but they act that way for TV. There's a lot of new people who watch the show.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-ANOTHER THING THAT GETS ME - RINGMASTER - HOW MANY RINGS HAS THIS GUY FOUND - MOST YEARS I PROBABLY FIND MORE EACH YEAR THAN HE HAS TOTAL

But how many have you found in the water or at the beach? They don't seem to hunt those spots.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I saw some of the original "presentation' videos of the inner workings of the show. They have an Archie beside them as they hunt. What you see on TV is basically a rerun of the hunt. and all the antics and slang are added later.
Look closely when they dig and you can see the outline of the plug. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Quit watching these type shows after I saw Savage Find an old coin stash in a old Auto part under a concrete wall that they used heavy equipment to punch through. OOOOOK!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Quit watching these type shows after I saw Savage Find an old coin stash in a old Auto part under a concrete wall that they used heavy equipment to punch through. OOOOOK!

there was not one single part of that show that was real. Even the cast were phoneys. :(

including the police who threw them out of town

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread