So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bottom line is.......If everyone quit buying the expensive detectors an only bought the lower end detectors....Then there would be a drastic drop in the prices of the high end as they would be setting in a warehouse collecting dust....But as someone earlier said ...u cant put the genie back in the bottle....which means people r still gonna buy the high end detectors...and yes some of it is buying into the hype

That is like saying if people stop paying 30k$ for cars they would drastically drop the price of cars....

Never happen, people pay what they are willing to pay..... I can say nothing against anyone willing to pay $30K-$70K for a car for to them the car is worth the money, it is the same with detectors....

I haven't bought a new detector in over 7 years, but I have bought at least 6 or 7 used detectors in that time period....

I would love to have a CTX, but it's not in my price range but for those who can buy them more power to them and hope you find great stuff...

I would never say they over paid because they paid what it was worth to them...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A detector is like a motorcycle you dont need one but it is a luxury item , so in a nut shell , you think its cool but keep it in the garage and dont use it or take it out and flog it all the time / V twins suck

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Check the breakdown rate of the Yugo...There is a reason they stop selling here... Frankn you say if probe picked up at 6 inches it would be useless, that depends on how you hunt. As example in a park I find a nice tone of a target using my detector.. I use my pinpointer to locate the EXACT location of target by moving probe over top of it. I cut a 2 inch slice in sod, no plug. I probe down and touch target. If need be i can adjust the sensitivity down, can't do that with HF.... I use a long copper probe and a 7/8 inch wide digger to remove target, if needed I maybe return 1/2 Cup or less of dirt in hole. Many times I remove no dirt at all.... I pinch the slice in the sod back together, there is no visible sign I was ever there, it is impossible to see where I was....Never a single plug is dug... I have had park employees stand and watch me recover items then tell me have a nice day and turn and leave... This would not be possible using a HF pinpointer or any pinpointer only getting 1/2-1 inch... American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see you have never used a HF pinpointer. It has an adjustment knob . I can set mine from app. 0" to 2".
I use a different method with my XLT. I can locate the target to the exact center of the open coil. I mark that spot, then shove my probe in from the side and under the target and just pop it out with a little lever action. In rare cases, it slips off the probe or is exceptionally small like a single #6 shot. In those cases I resort to the HF.
I guess we all have our own methods.
Yes the Yugos did break down, But at $18 original cost and a $2.50 repair for 3 years usage, I am way ahead of you on value per dollar. The way I look at it is, it has never failed to easily find the target, even the single #6 shot. Frank...
Rose on ice 700.jpg

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
----------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------- I see you have never used a HF pinpointer. It has an adjustment knob . I can set mine from app. 0" to 2". I use a different method with my XLT. I can locate the target to the exact center of the open coil. I mark that spot, then shove my probe in from the side and under the target and just pop it out with a little lever action. In rare cases, it slips off the probe or is exceptionally small like a single #6 shot. In those cases I resort to the HF. I guess we all have our own methods. Yes the Yugos did break down, But at $18 original cost and a $2.50 repair for 3 years usage, I am way ahead of you on value per dollar. The way I look at it is, it has never failed to easily find the target, even the single #6 shot. Frank...

Can't argue with what works! But I still like my Garrett Pro. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Check the breakdown rate of the Yugo...There is a reason they stop selling here...

Frankn you say if probe picked up at 6 inches it would be useless, that depends on how you hunt.

As example in a park I find a nice tone of a target using my detector..

I use my pinpointer to locate the EXACT location of target by moving probe over top of it.

I cut a 2 inch slice in sod, no plug. I probe down and touch target. If need be i can adjust the sensitivity down, can't do that with HF....

I use a long copper probe and a 7/8 inch wide digger to remove target, if needed I maybe return 1/2 Cup or less of dirt in hole. Many times I remove no dirt at all....

I pinch the slice in the sod back together, there is no visible sign I was ever there, it is impossible to see where I was....Never a single plug is dug...

I have had park employees stand and watch me recover items then tell me have a nice day and turn and leave...

This would not be possible using a HF pinpointer or any pinpointer only getting 1/2-1 inch.........

On diggers they use a backhoe

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For 40 years, I have been using a 1973 Bounty Hunter I that my Dad bought me for $60. The machine has paid for itself many times over. Just last week I used my tax refund to buy a Tesoro Sand Shark. I could have kept on using my old Bounty Hunter I and been perfectly happy. But I'm still looking for my first Spanish piece of eight, and the Sand Shark will expand my search area to include wet sand. Will it pay for itself? Only time will tell. But if it finds a piece of eight for me, I will already think it was worth it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I haven't seen an improvement in the detecting ability of a detector for at least 10 years. I am using a Whites XLT that is about 13 years old and a Whites Surfmaster that is about 13 years old. They both go down deep and find fine gold chains, rings, gold nuggets and coins with no problems. The new ones are just the same in pickup power, but have added bells and whistles. Hay I don't need multi-frequencies or colored graph charts. My detector tells me an approximation of what is down there, what size it is, how deep it is, and exactly where it is.
Now if they come out with one that shows me a picture of the object, that would get my attention! Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The money people spend on detectors- compared to the value of what you find- borders on illogical lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do cars cost as much as a house cost as much as a house use to cost?

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All products have a high end model....people with plenty of money want the most expensive product, they don't care if its no better than the cheaper model...its a status symbol.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do cars cost as much as a house cost as much as a house use to cost?

Seriously, Cars should & Probably could be sold for $5000, with an outrageous Profit Gained

Just stop Recalling their Junk, & sell them For $3,000 as Disposable

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously, Cars should & Probably could be sold for $5000, with an outrageous Profit Gained

Just stop Recalling their Junk, & sell them For $3,000 as Disposable

When I lived in Oklahoma City, we had a GM plant just down the road, so I had the opportunity to meet a lot of the workers. This was in the late 80's to very early 90's. One young woman who worked part time after college was out ( a daughter of a supervisor there ) told me she made around $16 per hour to make sure the door key functioned! 25 years later, many people don't make that much in full time jobs. I really think the inflated pay of the American auto worker helps contribute to the costs as well. I am not bashing union workers as I am one myself, but there has to be some balance between workers and the employers. The big picture of longevity and future security of employment should play more of a role than short term gain.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There's been some talk on here about electronic stuff getting cheaper all the time. I've got a question. How come I payed $600 for a computer that does all the stuff this one does, but it costs $5,000 for hearing aids. They are miniature computers that increase volume and do some filtering. Come on folks, lets get real, that don't compute either. There is lots of R&D that continually goes into metal detectors, and if you want single frequency detectors that find what you are looking for, then go for the gusto, but depending on where you are looking, dual frequency or more, and ground balancing features of the expensive ones are one reason they cost more. I know my DFX goes from wet to dry on salt water beaches seamlessly, and that's why I bought it. But when it comes to hearing aids, you just got to talk to me a LITTLE LOUDER. There aint no way I'm spending 5 grand on hearing aids.

cyfun

Greenie
Mar 14, 2014
Denver
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now does everyone you know have a hand held licensed HAM handset? Hell no, I'm sure no one here even knows what the hell I'm talking about...... .

You would be amazed how many of us know and have Yeasu FT-60R , I have 3. Many hams use metal detectors. :laughing7:

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the premise of the initial post; the price of metal detectors is demonstrably high. The demand for metal detectors is proportionally low and the technology old. I also agree that any consumer electronic designed to be used outside in the elements should be waterproof. At least to IP6. My GPS and hand held radio are, yet they are considerably cheaper to replace.

I'll throw out one more thing; display screens should feature color in this day and age. My cheap cellphone plays video in color, yet I see many of the top brand's screens with monochrome or blue tint. What is this, the dawn of the computer age?

Off my pulpit: I love this hobby. :laughing7:

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the premise of the initial post; the price of metal detectors is demonstrably high. The demand for metal detectors is proportionally low and the technology old. I also agree that any consumer electronic designed to be used outside in the elements should be waterproof. At least to IP6. My GPS and hand held radio are, yet they are considerably cheaper to replace.

I'll throw out one more thing; display screens should feature color in this day and age. My cheap cellphone plays video in color, yet I see many of the top brand's screens with monochrome or blue tint. What is this, the dawn of the computer age?

Off my pulpit: I love this hobby. :laughing7:

Thank you for chiming in.

It would cost manufacturers comparatively little to greatly improve standards.

With so many intelligent people here, I was somewhat surprised that the majority of posters (inclusive of some of TNETS management) defend the present standards of cheap construction and unbelievably high comparative pricing.

These forums and especially this one hold great potential for improving equiptment standards.
For this to occur the end users must voice their opinions by requesting better manufacturing, material and overall value.....

I also think if more people participated in truly effective treasure hunting technique they would be far more outspoken pertaining to just how cheaply made and overpriced the popular metal detectors have been allowed to become.

Last edited:

Ken/CO

Sep 27, 2003
Colorado
Another question to add salt to the wound?:Why does my 1968 MetroTech BFO, 2 controls detector outperform the 11 other top-named detectors that I've bought and sold over the years?It has detected a small bag of railroad date nails at 3 feet and a quarter on the beach at 2 inches amongst many other treasures.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 inches at beach isn't that deep, I'm recovering good targets at beach 18+ inches with my excal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread