Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough one. The gas pipes are going to mask the ring if it is close to the pipe. Depending on how deep the ring is you could try a small coil it will allow you to get closer to the pipe.
Depending on what detector you are using you could try going very slowly around the pipe area and checking out any extra signals or areas that sound different. A pinpointer may be helpful if the ring isn't deep.

If all else fails make your self a sifting screen out of 1/4" fence wire on a wood frame and sift all the dirt around where you think it may be, a lot of work, but no easy answer.

Maybe someone can think of something better. GL. Let us know how it goes.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Similar to MXbeep - I'd go with a small coil, low sensitivity and hope the ring is shallow.
luvsdux

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shake the pipe...listen

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to dig anywhere near those pipes you need to do it very carefully - breaking a pipe would ruin your hunt.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Only suggesting because you asked.
A like object ,in your case a class ring can be used to adjust your machines settings to try to discriminate all other objects. An example would be using the mate to a missing earring. Depends on pipe depth and what your detector does with iron also. Mine tends to stick on iron. That said gas pipes around my location are buried deep enough, guessing due to winter frosts,but then they should be below plow or rototiller depth as well? I could swing above them and adjust detector to ignore them and still find surface items. (I theorize). The hard part for me when trying to locate a specific lost item is not digging the others though when in doubt I might dig. Hope you try and then recover the ring. Good luck.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Call Before You Dig! The gass people I mean. They might send out a gass man to dig it for you.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would use a pin pointer, my pro pointer only gets about 2-3 inches. Will be a pain and take some time but if you know roundabouts where the ring is then the pipe won't matter. Assuming the pipe is a lot deeper than 2-3inches that is. GL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread