Garret ACE 350 Question

Sep 18, 2011
I recently purchased an Ace 350. In doing a trial run, I noticed that I was getting chatter even though the coil was nowhere near the ground. It seems as though the chatter would be common during the larger gusts of wind. At the time this occurred, I was in a sandy area however there was a large metal structure about 20 feet to my right. Does the fact that the metal structure was near by have anything to do with the chatter, or does the wind have anything to do with the chatter occurrences?

Also, based on your professional opinions, would be very trashy area cause erratic signals while detecting?

The coil is properly connected, and installed correctly based on the owners manual.

Can someone advise?

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try to lower the sensitivity and your not in all metal mode,,, and check your connections and that you coiled the wire good around the shaft and double check the batteries

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I recently purchased an Ace 350. In doing a trial run, I noticed that I was getting chatter even though the coil was nowhere near the ground. It seems as though the chatter would be common during the larger gusts of wind. At the time this occurred, I was in a sandy area however there was a large metal structure about 20 feet to my right. Does the fact that the metal structure was near by have anything to do with the chatter, or does the wind have anything to do with the chatter occurrences?

Also, based on your professional opinions, would be very trashy area cause erratic signals while detecting?

The coil is properly connected, and installed correctly based on the owners manual.

Can someone advise?

Set it up on a wooden chair or table in such a way that the coil is extended out beyond any and all metal. Can you get a steady threshold that just hums normally, with no "chatter" ? And if so, try this: while the detector is propped up there motion-less: wiggle the cable (to do this, you may have to loosen it up, if it were super-wound tight around the shaft). When doing this, there should continue to be no flutter or chatter. If you get flutter or chatter when wiggling the cable while in a motion-less air test, then you have a bad cable. Or .... the connections aren't screwed in tight or something.

Also tap on the coil bottom (making sure you're not wearing rings or bracelets or metal buttons). There should be no flutter or chatter when doing this either.

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garmin Pinpointer gets "chattery" if the batteries are low for sure, and I'm positive there is no metal within 6 inches. It was also doing double beeps, which is in the manual, and indicates low battery. Sometimes my Tracker IV does that too on occasion. But then I've been hunting areas really clogged with coal and clinkers, which seem to set off both.

TreasureKev

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garmin Pinpointer gets "chattery" if the batteries are low for sure, and I'm positive there is no metal within 6 inches. It was also doing double beeps, which is in the manual, and indicates low battery. Sometimes my Tracker IV does that too on occasion. But then I've been hunting areas really clogged with coal and clinkers, which seem to set off both.

I didnt know that Garmin made pinpointers....or did you mean Garrettt Propointer?

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the Ace 350 , and it does chatter around power lines ... When not around power lines and chatter starts I have to turn down the sensitivity and it stops. They Do Say to Not do that though, "Hold it Up in the Air when You Turn it On " , Place the Coil on the ground before You turn it on... If You press and Hold the On button while the coil is flat on the ground And Hold the On button down untill You here 2 quick Beeps It will Re-Set itself and Auto Ground Balance itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread