Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Today I found 15 pennies (1970s) in one hole. That's a record for me, previously it was 3 or 4.

Question:

What is the most coins you have found in one hole - without having to dig nearby holes?

Be interesting to see everyone's answer....

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a role of Jefferson Nickels 40 coins. About 1 inch or 1 1/2 inches deep and the paper was rotted away except for under the coins.
I was digging for what I thought was 1 coin and keep digging. I don't remember the dates on the coins and this was around 22 years ago.
Three or four little rug rats were watching me and when I dug them all I filled the hole and put what was left of the sod back and left.
A few days later there was a metal detecting hunt and Jon and I went. There was also a sign stapled to a lath and stuck in the ground by the hole where I dug the role of nickels. The sign said this is not the way to leave your holes or something like that. Any way I nudged Jon and pointed to the sign and said that's my hole. :laughing7:

Also found 80 Lincoln cents on top of the ground by a parking meter.

Last edited:

Tim-MXT

Mar 9, 2014
Beaverton/Hillsboro Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's V3I, White's TRX Pinpointer, Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best was a few days ago. 18 coins in one hole with an old leather coin purse. The youngest coin was 1981, the oldest was a 1958 nickel.

ole miss rebel

Feb 22, 2013
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found $3 of quarters, 1970's mint, on a hillside, just under the turf, guy must have sat & lost em out of his pocket.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found 5 quarters in one spot kept sweeping over the holes and the mxt would ring out theirs another one there
it was at an old party spot the tamarack dam up on the trail below the fault line.....

liftloop

posted with windows xp

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9 coins, 3 pennies, 4 dimes 1 nickel and 1 dollar coin

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a roll of pennies in a park about 5 yrs. Ago. Still was some paper from the roll attached. Oldest 1965 newest 2003

davemcc

Sep 11, 2009
Brandon, FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CZ-3D, CZ-5
2013 June July August  Misc Cell Phone Pics Vids (45).jpg
Haha, I knew I'd find a post for this pic someday! Last year I was hunting around a closed elementary school around the basketball courts. A few feet away from the court I found almost 50 (60's, 70's) pennies in one hole only a few inches down. Took a while to fish them all out. I'm assuming they had been rolled at some point. All I could think of was one day, a very long time ago, a couple of kids at recess having this grand idea to bury a roll of pennies and coming back to retrieve them at some future date like pirates coming to claim a treasure... :laughing7:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dry sand hunting at the beach....way back near picnic area...hit some pennies then hit a large mayo jar full of pennies a little deeper.prolly 4 bucks worth.Whoever put it there wanted it found by a md'er.

OP
OP
N

Nobluecircles

Feb 3, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it has been a week or so since I started this post when I found 15 pennies in one dug hole.

Today, I found 20 pretty bad condition, recent dated pennies on top of the ground in a pile - 6 inches from a playground parking lot in the grass. Maybe somebody emptied their ashtray full of pennies. So technically not in one hole, but noteworthy.

Was it National Discarded Penny Week?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a role of Jefferson Nickels 40 coins. About 1 inch or 1 1/2 inches deep and the paper was rotted away except for under the coins.
I was digging for what I thought was 1 coin and keep digging. I don't remember the dates on the coins and this was around 22 years ago.
Three or four little rug rats were watching me and when I dug them all I filled the hole and put what was left of the sod back and left.
A few days later there was a metal detecting hunt and Jon and I went. There was also a sign stapled to a lath and stuck in the ground by the hole where I dug the role of nickels. The sign said this is not the way to leave your holes or something like that. Any way I nudged Jon and pointed to the sign and said that's my hole. :laughing7:

Also found 80 Lincoln cents on top of the ground by a parking meter.
Did the kids open your hole up after you left? I had crows turning my plugs over on a soccer field I detect and the grass was dying but the city worker saw what was doing it and said not a problem I am still allowed to detect there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread