Noob Qs

halgreene

Greenie
Apr 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noob Q's

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while and also watching YouTube metal detecting videos and I'm about ready to take the plunge and buy a couple of detectors for my fiancé and I to use on some of our many hikes (and just in parks for fun, too).

From everything I've gathered, it would seem to me that our best bet would be to go with a couple of Garrett AT Pro's. The reviews and testimonies seem unanimous that this would be an ideal "beginner" (and even a not-so-beginner) machine. The other contenders (for less $$$!) were the Garrett Ace 250 or 350 and the Fisher F2. But we don't mind spending a few extra bucks if it makes a big difference.

We'll almost completely be hunting fields and hiking trails. Very little beach hunting (although if we love it we MAY take them on vacation, but they seem too bulky and fragile to take to, say, the Caribbean).

So first Q: Yes? Just buy a pair of AT Pro's and call it a day?

Second Q is headphones. There seems to be a lot of headphones, but really, I don't think the specs tell you anything and what are you listening for, anyway? Just beeps, right? So it would seem to me that the main qualities one should look for are comfort (huge) and durability. Given that my fiancé and I will be doing a lot of prospecting during the hot summer months, I'm not really looking forward to wearing a pair of sweatboxes on my head all day. Is there such a thing as open-air metal detector headphones? Suggestions?

Third Q is pinpointer. It seems that a pinpointer is de rigeur. Garett seems to make a decent one, and I assume we just need one between us, so...get that?

Fourth Q is accessories. It appears that we should both wear gloves (for rooting around in the dirt?) and we also need some kind of portable shovel and "find bag." In watching videos, it seems that it would be much more comfortable (but bulkier to carry) a longer t-handle shovel than a spade so that one is not being forced to kneel at every strike (it also seems that a shovel pulls up a bigger plug with less effort). Are there any differences here? Are some shovels better and/or lighter and and/or an easier carry? Again, I'm assuming we just need one between us.

Thanks for your help!

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the companies make great detectors! I am a White's guy and another detector to look at is the White's M6. It is simple and powerful. One option would be to get an M6 and MX5 with the MX5 lighter in weight for the missus. Headphones are a very good addition to the package for hearing faint sounds that are deep coins or if you are detecting near a loud noise (ocean or train tracks). Pinpointers speed up the recovery of the targets and White's new TRX is one of the best I've used. Definately get gloves for digging as you will encounter glass and sharp metal! I use a small digging trowel and it is fast to dig and easy to carry. Good luck and Happy hunting.

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL.jpg ...Mr...With a post like yours, you have just open yourself to all kinds of deals...... used-car-salesman.jpg ...Look at all the entry level machines, cheap pair of headphones, screw the shovel, get your hands dirty and there is a 75% chance both if not one of you will not enjoy the hobby..This way you have very little invested.....

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the companies make great detectors! I am a White's guy and another detector to look at is the White's M6. It is simple and powerful. One option would be to get an M6 and MX5 with the MX5 lighter in weight for the missus. Headphones are a very good addition to the package for hearing faint sounds that are deep coins or if you are detecting near a loud noise (ocean or train tracks). Pinpointers speed up the recovery of the targets and White's new TRX is one of the best I've used. Definately get gloves for digging as you will encounter glass and sharp metal! I use a small digging trowel and it is fast to dig and easy to carry. Good luck and Happy hunting.
Go the above route and you won't be disappointed, I used a friends ace 350 once and found it to be on the cheap side. Another friend got on the at pro bandwagon only to have it break multiple tines. The garret pro pointer on the other hand is a beast! I love it even more than my whites trx, GL HH

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still say try and get your hands on different detectors and test drive a few before you buy. Like trying on shoes to see if they fit, detectors are a little more pricey. Maybe you may want to get a used one first.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could also try a minelab 505, eurotek pro, omega 8000, t2, fisher f5, or a whites m6 or mx5. The at pro will not do you wrong! It's an awesome machine! But out of the choices I listed, I'd give the omega 8k a try, it's supposed to a silver magnet.

As for pinpointer, the Garrett pro pointer is a must have for target recovery.

Accessories- all you need is a good digging tools, I bought one at lowes for 9.99 and it's basically unbreakable!

Headphones- the ones that come with the AT pro are just fine for me, but they are not waterproof like the machine is. If you decide to go with another machine, you'll have to buy headphones separately.

Bottom line, whatever you decide to go with, you can't really go wrong.

Ps. Buy from a sponsor here on t-net!

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

OP
OP
H

halgreene

Greenie
Apr 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, so many choices!

So now it looks like it's coming down to a showdown between the following machines:

1. White's MX5 and/or M6
2. Omega 8k
3. Garrett AT Pro

I've also heard good things about Bounty Hunter machines (and they seem to be ubiquitous).

Accessories:

1. Some kind of digging shovel (doesn't seem to matter which one)
2. Gloves
3. Pouch
4. Headphones (Grey Ghost?)
5. Pinpointer: Garrett Pro or White's TRX?

Are there any nuances I should know about? It appears that all the machines work quite well, but do any of them have better/clearer/more reliable discrimination? Some seem to have a meter that actually says "tab/coin/zinc/foil/etc." Are these worthwhile? Do they all make the same kinds of sounds, or are some easier to listen to? Are any sturdier/more comfortable to carry? Do some have a steeper learning curve? Built-in pinpointers? Better/easier ground balancing? Do Garrets need a special adapter to use aftermarket headphones?

Thanks for your help!

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can see that you've been researching the hobby by the questions that you bring up first and these are things that you need to figure out before buying. Your last paragraph shows that you need to know a bit more about MDing before you spend hundreds of dollars to get started.

On the surface this is a very simple hobby but the more you get into it the more complicated you can let it become. This is a good thing because if you really like it the bar to become as good at it as you can will constantly be raised (by you) and you will not become bored and look for another hobby.

I won't recommend a specific machine other than to say that if you know some one who is a detectorist it can be a lot easier to learn from someone in person than YouTube or the forums although both are great resources. Also try to find a club in your area - they're everywhere these days. Visit and ask your questions there. I can guarantee they'll be happy to answer anything you can think to throw at them.

If these two approaches don't work for you at least try to buy from a dealer who has a good working knowledge of any machine you buy. You will have lots of questions after you get started.

As far as pinpointers, I believe you should buy one for each of you as you'll find that a lot of time will be wasted handing off one unit between the two of you. It's very unlikely that you'll stay close together as you hunt. Also you can try 2 brands to see which you like better then if you see you like one more than the other you can replace the least favorite and you'll have a back up - you will want a back up! Both the Garrett and the TRX have their pluses and minuses.

A good lightweight alternative for hot summer weather are earbuds.

As far as digging tools you'll prob end up with both hand held diggers (definitely) and shovels (almost certainly). Don't buy those cheap garden trowels. Check out Leshe digging tools. There is a big difference - not just in durability but in the way it does the the job. While I'm on the subject - learn the proper way to dig and refill your holes - very important.

I've found that it's best to avoid the cheap route as you end up replacing those items very quickly.

Feel free to pm me if I can help answer any questions you have. I'm not a dealer but I can tell you that any of them would welcome your questions also.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what smitty and everyone else said.NEVER share a tool...half the fun is following your gut,not someone else.good luck and have fun...my wife and I look forward to every day we can hunt together and btw...her f2 is truly capable and very light.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net. I,m not saying do as I do on a unit but have not found a reason to upgrade from Ace 350,s yet for the type detecting done. An AT -Pro being wet proof is a benefit and they seem to be holding decent resale value due to popularity. If there is a detector selling shop or a club with in range then see about test driving a few different types. Its interesting who prefers what.The lesch size digger allows finesse work and kept sharp will handle most recoveries. After all digging more than several inches may not be a constant and unless ground is very hard a shovel adds weight to your gear. If stooping a problem depending on environment a towel or similar can be used for a seat.A nail apron is cheap and allows keepers on one side and trash on the other.My pinpointer rides on one tie of the apron. A stout denim or canvas bag, even a pantleg sewed shut on one end with a tie on the other can be rolled up and reserved for a huge find of ancient coins or precious metal bars.:thumbsup: and a pill bottle with cotton or paper towels can ride in nail pouch for delicate finds or old coins to not scratch them. A zippered or seal able pocket for best finds as they can sneak out of what seem a secure place.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the bulk repost of your questions but it helps me think...... my thoughts on this.....

From everything I've gathered, it would seem to me that our best bet would be to go with a couple of Garrett AT Pro's. The reviews and testimonies seem unanimous that this would be an ideal "beginner" (and even a not-so-beginner) machine. The other contenders (for less $$$!) were the Garrett Ace 250 or 350 and the Fisher F2. But we don't mind spending a few extra bucks if it makes a big difference.

New to the hobby I suggest you consider how much you expect to be using your machines... top of the line and mid-grade stuff are a good way to get into the hobby however you may find that its a bit more than ya wanna chew when it comes to your initial finds... there will always be junk...and the learning curve for such machines.
I'd hate to find out that investment finds its way to the closet after a few tries. The advice for finding and going to a club in your area is excellent and spending the money is ok as long as ya stick with it for a while.

We'll almost completely be hunting fields and hiking trails. Very little beach hunting (although if we love it we MAY take them on vacation, but they seem too bulky and fragile to take to, say, the Caribbean).

Again a good reason for a good machine. As to durability careful packing will help. I've taken my machines around the world :)

So first Q: Yes? Just buy a pair of AT Pro's and call it a day?

If you have the money and consider what I just said about what you expect go for it. Regardless of the final machine.

Second Q is headphones. There seems to be a lot of headphones, but really, I don't think the specs tell you anything and what are you listening for, anyway? Just beeps, right? So it would seem to me that the main qualities one should look for are comfort (huge) and durability. Given that my fiancé and I will be doing a lot of prospecting during the hot summer months, I'm not really looking forward to wearing a pair of sweatboxes on my head all day. Is there such a thing as open-air metal detector headphones? Suggestions?

Your headphones or earbuds will make a difference in your detecting. Stock head phones work very well. For the detector your considering you'll want to find a suitable alternative to big ear muffs :) Earbuds work well in heat and humidity. Another alternative is the Rattle Snake headphone. I use this headphone so I can hear whats going on around me but you'll have to get use to using one ear. In heat and humidity its probably the best head phone going. As to just listening to "beeps" well you'll actually have a whole range of noise~ experience will eventually allow you to know what your finding according to the "noises" faster than looking at the machines readings.

Third Q is pinpointer. It seems that a pinpointer is de rigeur. Garett seems to make a decent one, and I assume we just need one between us, so...get that?

Garret and Whites make fine pin pointers for those that use them. I don't use one but have a Whites. As to how many.... be best if you both have one. Kinda difficult to leave a hole when your partner needs to dig a hole :)

Fourth Q is accessories. It appears that we should both wear gloves (for rooting around in the dirt?) and we also need some kind of portable shovel and "find bag." In watching videos, it seems that it would be much more comfortable (but bulkier to carry) a longer t-handle shovel than a spade so that one is not being forced to kneel at every strike (it also seems that a shovel pulls up a bigger plug with less effort). Are there any differences here? Are some shovels better and/or lighter and and/or an easier carry? Again, I'm assuming we just need one between us.

Depends on where your digging and what you expect to dig for. In fields a shovel, just one should do, is kinda necessary. Parks and what not only hand trowels or small dig tools *a probe is necessary... usually a stout screw driver* should be necessary. Lots of advice here on how to go about digging :) Gloves are a good idea in parks as can slaw and broken glass are always a concern. Using your dig tools properly can avert cutting yourself but if you have to stick an ungloved hand or finger into a hole do so gently and carefully. As to the type of glove~ light weight and thin tool gloves can be found at ACE, Home Depot or Lowes.

As to a find bag. Well a pouched garden apron, carpenters tool pouch or anything you can stick stuff in works well. Multiple pockets are best for sorting goodies and carrying away junk as well as a good spot for a drink. Bit of advice... when you find something good put it in the pocket and when someone *it will happen* comes up and askes to see what you found tell them "What goes in the pouch stays in the pouch till I get home". ;)

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, so many choices!

So now it looks like it's coming down to a showdown between the following machines:

1. White's MX5 and/or M6
2. Omega 8k
3. Garrett AT Pro

I've also heard good things about Bounty Hunter machines (and they seem to be ubiquitous).

Accessories:

1. Some kind of digging shovel (doesn't seem to matter which one)
2. Gloves
3. Pouch
4. Headphones (Grey Ghost?)
5. Pinpointer: Garrett Pro or White's TRX?

Are there any nuances I should know about? It appears that all the machines work quite well, but do any of them have better/clearer/more reliable discrimination? Some seem to have a meter that actually says "tab/coin/zinc/foil/etc." Are these worthwhile? Do they all make the same kinds of sounds, or are some easier to listen to? Are any sturdier/more comfortable to carry? Do some have a steeper learning curve? Built-in pinpointers? Better/easier ground balancing? Do Garrets need a special adapter to use aftermarket headphones?

Thanks for your help!
I don't usually push one machine over the other but I'm telling you now, don't walk, run, and get a whites m6! Not a vx3 or a v3i but an m6. It is prob the best detector I've had the pleasure of using. I'm actually looking to buy some used ones and if I can't find one I will buy another new one. I got a squirrelly signal the other day but good enough to dig, a 1952 silver Rosie laying against a piece of rusted metal plate. The coin actually has a rust stain on one side! As for pinpointers, I would get the garrett pro pointer, that's right, I like it better than the trx. " keep it simple" is my modo. Good luck!

OP
OP
H

halgreene

Greenie
Apr 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K, so, first of all, thanks for all your help!

I've found it very instructional to watch YouTube videos of how these machines actually work in the field, and what leaps out at me is EASE OF USE vs. SIMPLICITY. Some machines seem a bit too complicated (or their functions are buried in too many menus) while others seem a bit TOO simple. Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Fisher F4, as it seems to strike an attractive balance between the two for a reasonable price. Plus it comes with an 11" DD coil, which I have come to understand is probably the best "all purpose" coil for our needs. Here are the machines that are still in the running, and my impressions of same (btw, these are ALL good machines and they ALL seem to be able to do the job well!)

1. White's MX5 and/or M6: Great machines but I'm not crazy about the layout of the display. A mite cluttered and confusing.
2. Omega 8k: Not as bad as the Whites (Whites are great machines!) but still a little too much.
3. Garrett AT Pro: Same as above.

I understand that the Fisher F5 is a bit of an upgrade from the F4, but again...it seems to have TOO MANY controls and their functions are somewhat confusing.

I really like the Teknetics Euro Pro, but now it seems to err on the other side, a bit too simple without enough features (like notching).

For accessories, I think one of us will carry a Fiskars trowel while the other carries a short shovel (like the Lesche) for deeper finds. One Garrett Pinpointer Pro between us (I'm pretty sure we'll be doubling up every time one of us makes a find) and the following other things:

1. Some kind of digging shovel (Lesche's, probably)
2. Fiskars trowel
3. Gloves (gardening gloves seem fine)
4. Carpenter's pouches for tools/finds
5. Garrett Easy Stow headphones

Am I missing anything? Will the Garrett headphones work with the Fisher? Is there a better pouch?

Thanks for your help!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A drop cloth about 12X12" to put dirt on, so it can be poured back in hole, that's free from your own house!

OP
OP
H

halgreene

Greenie
Apr 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here's where it ended up: We bought a pair of Fisher F5's with the 11" DD. We connected With Blake Hattaway at KellyCo, who convinced us that what we thought were MORE complicated controls (on the F5) were actually LESS complicated than those on the F4's. We were attracted to the fact that the most commonly accessed settings were quickly accessible via their own dedicated knobs, which could be manipulated by the same hand holding/swinging the unit. We liked the F4 but we felt the F5 was somewhat more powerful and, with its advanced controls, we'd never outgrow it.

After Blake took 45 minutes to patiently explain all the settings and controls on the F5 we found them for $10 less on eBay and ordered them immediately.

Just kidding, we bought them from Blake.

Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks for you help,

Hal & Mercedes

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wish I had seen this earlier and given you my input.
You didn't say where you will be detecting so these are general tips.

1. Remember the bug spray!
2. and sunscreen
3. NEVER detect in just your undies! You will draw undue attention and hinder your search. ( unless your fiance does, then get pics)
4. You should have kept searching for a detector with a factory beer holder, aftermarket ones are substandard. ( I have to use a beer-assistant.)
5. When searching beaches never overlook female sunbathers. Many times jewelry is hidden on the shady side.
6. Remember what I said about the sunscreen!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what jeff said
also kneepads...ya never know also you'll miss your knees when they are gone

good choice...buddy has f5 and digs it.also kellyco is awsome if you ever have any trouble.Just be gentle while explaining why you bought yer honey knee pads.And finally set aside the dough fer the second propointer,you'll see my friend.

cheers

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd use a natural bug repellant like apple cidar vinager! Put it in a small spray bottle for your bag!
The commercial ones usually contain DEET, A WOOD PRESERVATIVE!
Consider smelling like a salad a healthier choice!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
axle grease is another good repellant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread