Experienced DFX users, please read. I have a question.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
lucky1777 said:
Thats why I have the MXT. Easy to use and a great DEEP machine. Found a seated dime at over 9 inches :o

Hunting partner uses the MXT, Easy machine but no tone id :'(

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
DFX-Gregg said:
Oh and this>>> I do not agree on giving programs and saying that is a quick fix!!! As you mentioned soil conditions, coil size and several other factors make a big difference...but I think it is learning the detector that makes the user better! I have actually found myself backing off on ac sensitivity...Not juicing it to the high heavens with pre amp gain at 4 squealing like a pig!

Gregg...

I didn't "give out" that program as a "quick fix".
That was basically copied and pasted to help Storm understand that the sensitivity setting that he considered high wasn't in fact that high.
It is a well-known fact that the DFX is capable of WAY more depth than White's sets it up right out of the box. Storm is right in that paying that much money SHOULD bring better out-of-the-box performance, but hey, that part of the charm of the DFX is learning what all those settings affect and how changing one or more setting influences many others.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Danimal said:
DFX-Gregg said:
Oh and this>>> I do not agree on giving programs and saying that is a quick fix!!! As you mentioned soil conditions, coil size and several other factors make a big difference...but I think it is learning the detector that makes the user better! I have actually found myself backing off on ac sensitivity...Not juicing it to the high heavens with pre amp gain at 4 squealing like a pig!

Gregg...

I didn't "give out" that program as a "quick fix".
That was basically copied and pasted to help Storm understand that the sensitivity setting that he considered high wasn't in fact that high.
It is a well-known fact that the DFX is capable of WAY more depth than White's sets it up right out of the box. Storm is right in that paying that much money SHOULD bring better out-of-the-box performance, but hey, that part of the charm of the DFX is learning what all those settings affect and how changing one or more setting influences many others.

Dan...
The A.C. sensitivity at 81 is in fact way to high for several areas! Pre amp at 4 often causes the same affect as bumping the the a.c. to much....erratic unstable behavior! Also other problems with trying to run pre amp at 4 is frequent overload readings. How long have you had your dfx to be giving this kind of advice???? ??? I think a better way is to recommend maybe bumping up a little here or there. But believe me going to a.c. 81, and pre amp 4, does not work for a lot of people!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
DFX-Gregg said:
Dan...
The A.C. sensitivity at 81 is in fact way to high for several areas! Pre amp at 4 often causes the same affect as bumping the the a.c. to much....erratic unstable behavior! Also other problems with trying to run pre amp at 4 is frequent overload readings. How long have you had your dfx to be giving this kind of advice???? ??? I think a better way is to recommend maybe bumping up a little here or there. But believe me going to a.c. 81, and pre amp 4, does not work for a lot of people!

Gregg,
I stated clearly in my initial post that this is a program written by JerDFX (Jeremy, an experienced DFX user out of PA). I also stated that it IS unstable and chattery, but it clearly allows IDs on deeper targets (assuming you can put up with the symphony of sounds)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I am at 3 pre amp gain. You know what Dan, I think it has been helping me pull up nickels! I seem to be getting a better feedback on them ...very odd... Even at 3, mine gets chatty due to junk but 3 works for me 4, mine starts squealing! As far as ac sensitivity I was thinking about dropping mine down even more, instead of going up! I am using the Eclipse 5.3 coil and I am already losing depth! But on a rainy day earlier this year I hit a Merc at 7.5 with the small coil. This was very strange>>>I went back to stock coil for a day earlier last week, then put the 5.3 back on....I swear my signals are clearer, my detector seems to be working better, much crisper signals keeping pre amp at 3. I was wondering if sometimes we have a loose connection and don't know it! I know I had one earlier this year! My detector starting shutting off one day some how one of my connections was loose....<strange...

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
Dfx greg, last year I had a problem with my whites specturm turning itself off. It happened quiet a few times. I found that puting a thin peice of cloth in the battery box worked. It is in the back pushing the the battery tighter against the connection. It has never turned off since.

bama #1

Dec 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem when I would load the coin or jewelry program then make adjustments. But when I loaded the relic program,then bumped up the preamp gain and ac till stable,I started getting a lot better depth. I usually turn off the mixed mode unless I am in a area that doesn't have a lot of targets. I also turn down the bottle cap and filters, tone ID on and accept -40 to +94,you may have to leave your filters higher in your area. This may not work for you but it works good for me.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Mike Silver -gold said:
Dfx greg, last year I had a problem with my whites specturm turning itself off. It happened quiet a few times. I found that puting a thin peice of cloth in the battery box worked. It is in the back pushing the the battery tighter against the connection. It has never turned off since.

Someone else also previously had mentioned a piece of cardboard wedged in works good. Also heard pulling the tabs forward in the box helps. Just thought it was strange when I was swinging one time I thought I heard the battery bouncing around!

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006
I would try the DFX site again if you haven't already and post this same question there.I have a DFX and love mine, but it takes a lot of time to learn.The guy's over ther may be able to help.Also you can ask Jeff Foster directly.Don't give up yet, this guy knows his stuff.Hope this helps you, Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread