Need Advice

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
Hello, I need some advice with how I'm using my metal detector.

I have a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. It is the one with the needle signal strength meter (no digital display - kind of like the old non-digital car speedometer). What I've been doing to get used to it is using it on the "All Metal" mode at high sensitivity.

I noticed almost right away that at the high sensitivity level that it picks up many things that I never end up finding. Tiny bits of rust in the hole, etc.

So what I've been doing is using it on the high sensitivity level initially, and then turning the sensitivity down to 'pinpoint' the location of the metal better.

Does it make sense to do that or should I be doing something else? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont know what anyone else thinks,but if i were starting out i would hunt in discrimination mode till you get used to your detector.
All metal is kind of hard to learn in.Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Ryan1979

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
Sounds good. Thank you for the advice. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what happens.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
teverly said:
I dont know what anyone else thinks,but if i were starting out i would hunt in discrimination mode till you get used to your detector.
All metal is kind of hard to learn in.Just my opinion.

I use a sovereign gt and I do just that. No meter.
Welcome to the forum

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I run BHs... and I suggest that you keep your sensitivity between the 12 and 1 o'clock position... that will help you concentrate on shallower targets, help you learn to pinpoint a little better, and not give you the deeper iffy signals. Move slow and pay attention...

Trust me when I tell ya. it'll pick up some darn deep signals and screw with you all day on high power settings! It'll pick up some large objects at like three feet!

When you learn the milder settings, move on to less discrimination and more power if needed.

Start with lower power, discrimination at 2'o'clock to reduce iron/trash and encourage you more with a better trash to treasure ratio, and move slow and deliberate... and if your using the 8" coil you will find silver/coins at 8"... but remember that speed kills!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions