GTI 2500 Cracked 9Inch Coil

offtrail

Apr 28, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out the other day swinging my GTI when I noticed a change in my detector. Nothing it showed was what I dug up...penny would be a dime or a quarter. A quarter turned out to be a penny, my question is can a cracked coil cause this? Or could my GTI have something else wrong with it ? This is my first real detector, been using it hard for about 4 to 5 years. Up till now it's been pretty accurate in showing what is in the ground. Just need a little help from some of the great people here at Treasurenet.com...Thanks

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maybe - is the crack clear through and could the coil have picked up any water?
luvsdux

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, if the coil got water inside of it from rain or it drew any moisture inside it (used on a very warm to hot day, then taken inside where it is cool which allowed moisture to form on the outside as well as the inside of the coil)! If water/moisture is inside the coil, then it could be shorting it out or skewing the signals (sort of like a Radar signal being skewed by heavy rainfall which is called Attenuation). It is possible that if you let the coil dry out in a warm environment such as a garage with a fan blowing on it, all of the moisture inside may evaporate. You could then seal the coil with Silicone Sealant and it may work fine again. If that does not work, then you are looking at the purchase of a new or good used coil to replace it. However, just to make sure it is a problem with the coil, you might want to see if anyone in your area or nearby has a GTI 2500 and see if they will let you test the coil from their' MD on your' MD.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
offtrail

offtrail

Apr 28, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks huntsman and luvsdux, It was in the early morning that I noticed the false signals, dew was very heavy that day. Plus with all the rain we been having the grass never has time to dry out. Thanks for helping me with this problem, ill use a hair dryer to make sure it's dry then seal it as advised...happy camper again!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks huntsman and luvsdux, It was in the early morning that I noticed the false signals, dew was very heavy that day. Plus with all the rain we been having the grass never has time to dry out. Thanks for helping me with this problem, ill use a hair dryer to make sure it's dry then seal it as advised...happy camper again!

offtrail... A hair dryer might actually make things worse! If the coil is heated up and then cools down enough to allow moisture to develop on or inside the coil, then it could actually get more moisture inside and make matters worse. It would be best if allowed to dry out as stated in my previous post. However, you could place it outside on a very warm or hot day but place the coil in the shade. The moisture inside might dry out in the one day outside but I believe that it would be best to do this over several days (i.e. place outside during the day, bring in before evening and place in a warm and dry location and repeat one or two more days as long as no rain is expected). Once you are confident that the moisture is gone inside the coil, test the coil to insure that it works as it should and if so, then seal it up with the Silicone Sealant. I hope that everything works out and that you don't have to go through the expense of purchasing another coil!

Good luck!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions