🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I found a really good spot across from a preserve and started detecting. Found some really good coins and relics over the past month. Anyway, the caretaker from the preserve was watching me detect and came over. As he approached I thought to myself "oh boy here we go" but instead was met with a very pleasant "found anything good?". We chatted for a bit and he was rather surprised at my love of history and wanting to find old "stuff". He stated that he saw how I was removing a lot of garbage from this spot and couldn't even tell we're I had made any holes and why I haven't cone into the preserve to detect. I stated well it's a preserve and didn't think I could enter and detect. He said well its public property and run by the county so I don't see why you couldn't? So my question is, are all county run preserves open to metal detectorists? I have plenty of them where I live with a lot of history. It would open up a whole new world!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that you will find as many different answers as you find places to hunt.

I would suggest doing a little hunting in each. Don't go back to the ones that you get tossed off of, and hunt the heck out of the ones that allow it.

It's great to get some new ground...

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that you will find as many different answers as you find places to hunt.

I would suggest doing a little hunting in each. Don't go back to the ones that you get tossed off of, and hunt the heck out of the ones that allow it.

It's great to get some new ground...
I would love to but don't want to take the chance of losing almost $2000 worth of equipment!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking preserves don't allow digging or disrupting of any natural habitats. :dontknow: If you get a caretaker to allow you to then more power to you. :icon_scratch: Just don't let the state boys see you. :find: I'd advice checking with your town clerk or something to make sure your allowed to dig or not in said preserves. I think all they can really do is ask you to leave, not sure though... ??? Don't take anyone's word for it, make some calls and find out for sure. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your worried about equipment being confiscated, why not take a low cost detector?
To be honest with you, if I can't hunt with my normal equipment then I don't even want to bother. I'm so sick of this anti metal detecting way of thinking nowadays that I wouldn't even bother. I was just curious by what this care taker told me. Since I posted I already called three diff preserves and got a flat out no! I asked who exactly is saying no, parks and recreation, the county, whom exactly? Was just told its off limits and that law enforcement would be called. It's funny because one said preserve has a "medieval" festival every year with a jousting competition. You have to see what those horses do to the almost 3 acres of lawn on the property. Doesn't matter to them at that point cause they collect $20 from every vehicle coming in.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
MrMike-Jackie, can I take a stab at your post/questions?

You say:

...He said well its public property and run by the county so I don't see why you couldn't?

Excuse me for saying this: But for the life-of-me, I don't understand why some people get a "yes", and .... argue with it? I don't get it.

And:

I would love to but don't want to take the chance of losing almost $2000 worth of equipment!

Huh ? How do you figure ? For starters, someone in authority had told you "yes". So the worst-case scenario is if someone ELSE came along and questioned that opinion (told you "scram"), all you'd need to do is cite your "yes", and .... then that becomes between THOSE two, not you two. You would simply be appraised, and in-lieu of your "yes", you were operating on good faith. So .... again, I don't get it.

And really now, can you cite for us any example of someone getting "$2000 worth of equipment confiscated" for md'ing in a public place for which there was no express specific forbiddance of metal detecting ? If you can find ANY examples of "tickets" "confiscations", and so forth, it would no doubt be someone night sneaking obvious historic monuments with specific no-md'ing rule, or someone who couldn't take a warning, etc.... So .... again ... I don't get it.

..... Since I posted I already called three diff preserves and got a flat out no! .....

Welcome to the the "no one cared till you asked" club . Seriously now: Such might be the answer at a LOT of places that routinely get detected. But lo & behold, someone takes it upon themselves to go ask some desk-bound pencil pusher "can I?". And he's going to look to-&-fro through his books and literature, to find something that applies to your "pressing question" (don't disturb the earthworms), and tell you "no". Welcome to the club. Now whomever answered that question, guess what's going to go through his mind the next time he's passing the park and see an md'r? He'll remember the earlier inquiry, and think: "Aha! there's one of THEM" , and start booting others.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MrMike-Jackie, can I take a stab at your post/questions?

You say:

Excuse me for saying this: But for the life-of-me, I don't understand why some people get a "yes", and .... argue with it? I don't get it.

And:

Huh ? How do you figure ? For starters, someone in authority had told you "yes". So the worst-case scenario is if someone ELSE came along and questioned that opinion (told you "scram"), all you'd need to do is cite your "yes", and .... then that becomes between THOSE two, not you two. You would simply be appraised, and in-lieu of your "yes", you were operating on good faith. So .... again, I don't get it.

And really now, can you cite for us any example of someone getting "$2000 worth of equipment confiscated" for md'ing in a public place for which there was no express specific forbiddance of metal detecting ? If you can find ANY examples of "tickets" "confiscations", and so forth, it would no doubt be someone night sneaking obvious historic monuments with specific no-md'ing rule, or someone who couldn't take a warning, etc.... So .... again ... I don't get it.

Welcome to the the "no one cared till you asked" club . Seriously now: Such might be the answer at a LOT of places that routinely get detected. But lo & behold, someone takes it upon themselves to go ask some desk-bound pencil pusher "can I?". And he's going to look to-&-fro through his books and literature, to find something that applies to your "pressing question" (don't disturb the earthworms), and tell you "no". Welcome to the club. Now whomever answered that question, guess what's going to go through his mind the next time he's passing the park and see an md'r? He'll remember the earlier inquiry, and think: "Aha! there's one of THEM" , and start booting others.
I'm sorry but I didn't think my question was that difficult. My inquiry was based on all preserves that are ran by the county. Not said location in which I got the ok to detect. Obviously I'm detecting that spot and doing very we'll thank you. As far as losing equipment you obviously aren't familiar with the private police dept on the north shore of Long Island. And finally I highly doubt my phone call reminded said person to the dislike of someone metal detecting that location. Judging by your last comment I guess your the type of guy that just pulls up to a spot and starts detecting? Sorry but I ask for permission before stepping foot on any property I feel might be off limits.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm sorry for coming across strong . It sounded as if someone in authority had said it was ok to detect the area in question .

And yes , I'm the type of person who pulls up to a spot and begins detecting , so long as there's no rule that said "no detecting ". And that information is available to look up for oneself .

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry for coming across strong . It sounded as if someone in authority had said it was ok to detect the area in question .

And yes , I'm the type of person who pulls up to a spot and begins detecting , so long as there's no rule that said "no detecting ". And that information is available to look up for oneself .
Like I said someone in authority did say it was ok. That was not my question. And like many tend to forget ignorance is not an excuse for the law. Even if not posted or said information is not easily found does not automatically mean it's ok. Things might be easier for you in Cali but not here on Long Island. It's tough man let me tell you. Anyway no offense taken brother, it's all good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread