new toys!

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I posted one pic a few months ago and said I would post an other pic, but life happened and so here it is. My two new scoops for beach hunting.
long handled travel scoop
bucket is 9"x5"
47" connected including scoop.
3.4 lbs
breaks down and fits in my suitcase yay!

Hand scoop
10" long
6.5" wide
.5' holes
stainless and weighs next to nothing.
scoop2.jpg scoop3.jpg scoop4.jpg scoop5.jpg scoop1.jpg

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mail.google.jpg

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing about scoops but I love new toys!

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty basic really (and I'm no expert but here's what I know.)
*for wet/heavy sand and if you are wading in the water, I use the thick welded steel one with the long handle
*for dry sand any plastic/metal scoop will do (CAUTION there are THIN metal baskets on a steel pole and they are for dry sand only! if you use your foot on them you will crush the basket).
* anything can be used for dry sand even an old plastic mug, tin cup, plastic jug with holes drilled into it.
*I don't hunt rocky areas but there are even more specialized scoops I've seen that are stupid expensive. However if that's the area somebody hunts all the power to you. And no I don't put a price on something that has brought years of enjoyment (and hopefully many more.) I know I've dropped stupid amounts of money on all my hobbies and given the chance to change things? yup I would do it again in a heartbeat. We have one life, live it. You can't take $$ and stuff when it's your time so live it up! ......holy cow that escalated quickly...sorry about the tangent (not really). :D Going fishing now. Cheers all!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I don't hunt in the water, but I hunt in wet and dry sand I have hit beaches all over the US, from Washington to CA and from MD to FL. My scoop is a converted Jet scoop from Kellyco. It looks just like your Hand scoop, but I welded the seams and added a long handle made of conduit. I coated the handle handle with yellow rubber and added a handle bar grip like your long handled one. It is in it's 14 year of service. Oh, it is SS. Frank...-
111-1 profile.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same scoop you do Frankn, but mine came with a detachable Handle that has an orange bike grip on it. I have been using it as a hand scoop in dry sand, but I may put the handle back on it, less bending.
I also may get a digging tool like garret makes not sure which yet.

Speaking of toys any of you go in a Lowe's or Home Depot and buy gadgets for your...obsession...detecting? I did the other day. Got an 8" pair of lighted tweezers, a long skinny grabber also lighted, and a device for measuring the thickness and width of a coin. I told myself the tweezers & grabber was for plucking the coins out of the small holes I make retrieving coins....and I believed me! :tongue3: :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can I ask u where u got the break down scoop. I would like to find one that I can break down I have 2 others but when I go on a trip my scoops has to stay behind. Thanks Matt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have the same scoop you do Frankn, but mine came with a detachable Handle that has an orange bike grip on it. I have been using it as a hand scoop in dry sand, but I may put the handle back on it, less bending.
I also may get a digging tool like garret makes not sure which yet.

Speaking of toys any of you go in a Lowe's or Home Depot and buy gadgets for your...obsession...detecting? I did the other day. Got an 8" pair of lighted tweezers, a long skinny grabber also lighted, and a device for measuring the thickness and width of a coin. I told myself the tweezers & grabber was for plucking the coins out of the small holes I make retrieving coins....and I believed me! :tongue3: :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Before you get the digger, do yourself a favor and check out am.leo.com That is the A M Leonard gardener supplier. They have what they call the classic soil digger. it is made of Swiss stainless steel and has a lifetime guarantee. It cost $18.99 and the leather sheath cost $10.99. The catalog on line will make you drool, and if you want a printed one, they will send it to you.
I have it in an older,14 year old, version made of Italian steel. Hope this helps. Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frankn, I will look and see what they have. Like you said I need a good one that's not going to break. I have a Wilcox now that's good for small holes, I need one that I can cut decent plugs with, without shoving it into hard ground twenty times for one plug.

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
msbeepbeep regarding digging tools. if you don't find what you are looking for and still want a garrett or lesche I have both, but Garrett has had to send me two diggers as replacements as the handle grip splits at the end. If you don't mind this and don't mind adding a handle grip the Garrett is a good digger. I have my lesche and have had zero problems. I also have daylin's scoop (can't remember name) it was about 15 bucks or so. This is good if you are in soft soil or sod. I prefer this over the Garrett or leshe if you are just going for coins or are in a park setting. it makes perfect 2.5 inch holes every time. It's also less menacing looking. (this can be good or bad lol) Let us know what you get and post some pics!!! cheers and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread