GTI owners. What is better to use the 9.5 or the 12.5 inch coil?

L

lawman133

Hi ....This is just damn weird ! I just found this site and registered 10 min. ago. I rec'd a GTI 2500 for Christmas (which is a treasure in itself )and due to snow on the ground have not been able to use it. I am a total newbie with no experience at all and I was wondering the same thing. I will be doing beach and old military sites in S.W. Ontario. The weird part is that my "nom de plum" has been lawman133 for years on various sites and the first post that jumped out at me here was by another "lawman". any info would be appreciated.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still learning myself friend. I would glad to help with anything I find out.

Ken

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
depends on what you want to do and what kind of conditions you are hunting in. the large coil will get better depth, but its large footprint also makes it virtually worthless in a trashy area. in high trash areas multiple targets will get under the coil at the same time and drive you nuts.it is also less sensitive to small targets. the big coil is great for covering a big low trashy area like a cornfield though. the 9.5 coil is good for normal hunting conditions and gets reasonable depth. in most cases i use the standard coil. in all honesty, in the places that i hunt a small 4 inch sniper coil is more usefull than the 12.5 inch coil. most places i hunt have a moderate to high trash level and the small coil works really well for getting in between all of the trash. the trade off is that it doesn't go super deep. so, like i said..............it depends on where you are hunting. the conditions kind of dictate which coil is better.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
I have around 30 hours experience with my 2500. With a new site that I know nothing about, I usually start with the smaller coil. I'll quickly get a sense of the amount of trash there. Second time through, I'll go to the larger coil - I think it gives another ~ 2 inches of depth.
At a site I've done before (especially if it's an older site), I'll go right to the big coil. I've gotten a SL quarter at 9 inches, and a Merc at 7-8 inches, at sites I've hammered with my Minelab Sov. and WOT coil. Let 'em badmouth the Green Machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread