HELP: Favorite way to bid on treasure at auction?

coral99

Jun 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

My name is Matt and I am conducting a survey of artifact hunters, pickers, collectors, and dealers who regularly find buried treasure at auctions. Specifically, I am trying to get an understanding of how the auction landscape is changing as more live, non-Ebay auctions offer an online component. I would like to request your help by taking a brief 10 question survey about your bidding and auction preferences here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KMSVZNW

There is no cost and I can offer only my gratitude for your help. I appreciate any and all responses and questions.

Mods - I am real and this is not spam but if you feel this does not belong in your forum, please let me know and I will be happy to take it down.

Best,

Matt

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta tell ya..I dont bid on squat.auctions,in my expierience are a great way to get top dollar as a seller,and a horrible way to get a great deal as a buyer.I wait till I can buy that which interests me at a fixed price I feel is in my best interest.15% to 35% goes to the auction operators....I will rarely see a profit in my lifetime if I am hoping for item to appreciate.

Bottom line.In this economy,which just shrank,a smidgeon of patience and a little research would put auctions out of buisness for all but those who just love the excitement of overpaying.

I am quite sure that many have done well buying at auctions.I'm sure it is a viable buisness model.I wish the best for those operations.But they will have to do it without my partisipation as a buyer....now as a seller???differant equation

all that being said I still like watching the barret/jackson vehicle auctions.Would never attend...but like watching.

cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coral99

Jun 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response. I find I have to sift through a lot of items and bids to find treasure. But it does happen on occasion.

Here is a link to the survey if you have not had a chance to take it: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KMSVZNW. It's quick, straightforward, and easy.

Matt

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have made some great deals on E-Bay, and have never paid full price on any item I bought there. The secret is to never get in a bidding war, because then your emotions take over and you end up spending too much. If I see something I want, I'll just bid what I'm willing to pay for it and no more.

Example: I needed a 3/8" ratchet, and wanted a Snap-On. So I bid $25.00 on a Snap-On ratchet that sells for $120 new. I lost that auction, so I bid on another identical one and won that auction.

Last edited:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problems with e-bay and other online and possible phone auctions, I don't trust any of them!

I actually met a man one time while I was out drinking and we got on the subject of using ebay and such, after seeing a commercial on it and I commented about not buying or selling anything on e-bay. He said he sold lots of stuff on e-bay every week and he admitted he had 6 accounts, 2 were his, 1 was his wifes, 3 were his childrens and when he wanted to sell stuff, he would have his family raise the bids to what they actually wanted to get the most money for on the item. If no one continued to raise the bid and one of his family members won, he would list the auction again 3 weeks later and post about a non-paying bidder, but would never leave negative feedback for the bidder! I should have punched him in the mouth!

Yeah, don't get into a bidding war with anyone and certainly be cautious that the seller has/or could have other accounts and family members to raise the bidding!

I used e-bay a couple of times to buy stuff, I had my limit what I would pay and if someone else won it, oh well, I would find something else for the price I wanted to pay.

OP
OP
C

coral99

Jun 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boatlode - thanks for the feedback. Do you participate in live non-Ebay auctions? I rarely find good deals on Ebay for what I collect. But occasionally at live auctions a gem will turn up.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Boatlode - thanks for the feedback. Do you participate in live non-Ebay auctions? I rarely find good deals on Ebay for what I collect. But occasionally at live auctions a gem will turn up.

Once in a blue moon I might go to a rare coin auction, but I haven't been to one in years. Whether its E-Bay or a live in-person auction, you should always have a number in your head that you are willing to pay for an item, and never bid over that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread