Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other day at one of my favorite parks I was confronted by a lady who works for the city parks department. She saw me dig a coin. She told me that I was allowed to detect in the city parks, just no digging. She said the city had paid $25,000 for a new sprinkler system and they didn't want me digging it up. I thanked her for informing me and I left. There are a few parks in this town and I find a lot of clad. Most of it has been 4 to 6". I felt like a person who has bought a race car, but was told I can only drive it 25 mph. I don't want to be a bad example for the hobby, but at the same time I know in order to enjoy this hobby, I will have to dig. What should I do?

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple, find out what the city ordinance is. Don't believe what she says. Verify with local ordinance. Plus if there is an ordinance, you can get a yearly permit, usually.

The other day at one of my favorite parks I was confronted by a lady who works for the city parks department. She saw me dig a coin. She told me that I was allowed to detect in the city parks, just no digging. She said the city had paid $25,000 for a new sprinkler system and they didn't want me digging it up. I thanked her for informing me and I left. There are a few parks in this town and I find a lot of clad. Most of it has been 4 to 6". I felt like a person who has bought a race car, but was told I can only drive it 25 mph. I don't want to be a bad example for the hobby, but at the same time I know in order to enjoy this hobby, I will have to dig. What should I do?

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I checked with the city and I was told detecting is ok, digging is not on city property. I can probably get away with a probe, but any deeper targets will be off limits. Not many sites around me as this is a town of only 37,000. I can dig in county parks but there are only 2 or three of those.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there's no sign saying u cant then dig.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a brass tipped probe or screwdriver. Explain how you only probe and pop coins out of first couple of inches of soil and they should be fine. I still carry a small trowel in my pouch, but must admit public parks are my least favorite places to detect for this reason.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked with the city and I was told detecting is ok, digging is not on city property. I can probably get away with a probe, but any deeper targets will be off limits. Not many sites around me as this is a town of only 37,000. I can dig in county parks but there are only 2 or three of those.
Learn to recover with a probe, most targets can be recovered with a probe and long screw driver and require no digging. If I dig i use 2 tiny shovels, 1 is 7\8" wide other is 1 1\4" wide both about 12 inches long. Most times I can recover by just using a probe and long flat head screwdriver.

Tampa Steve

Apr 10, 2014
tampa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Same thing happened to me they said I can detect but cant dig.I felt like a criminal I was near lowery park zoo not on there property either.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yep, I went to the city hall and was told very clearly NO! I just wanted to be legal like most of us and didn't want to cause any problems but they said that years before someone had already caused enough problems... oh well. good luck

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is certainly making me rethink my detecting strategy. I guess I will try probe hunting the parks. I will be basically giving up on any older coins. Getting a F5 next week but the power will be useless there. I guess I will have to do some traveling and research to go after old stuff. On a more positive note I cashed in $128 in clad for 2 months digging.

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mikeraydj ..... It's time to start to ask for permission from private home owners. :thumbsup:

Believe me your finds will also include a vast array of older coins and relics than out in the parks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yuo can try to do the distinction between "dig" and "probe" (or "pop" or "slit", or whatever you want to call it), if you want. But let's be perfectly honest folks: That's a semantics game. What I mean is: Anyone seeing you probe, fish your fingers down there, and get shallow targets that way, can STILL say that constitutes digging. And odds are, they're not close enough to see you (whether or not dirt broke the surface, etc...) anyhow. They're merely seeing you from afar , and .... let's face it .... detecting has that connotation, whether you dug, or probed, or were simply only walking/swinging, and hadn't even dug yet !

Bottom line is: ALL cities have something like that for their park's codes/rules. Even if not using the evil word "dig", yet still in some form or fashion. Like "alter" or "deface", etc... Right? So if those things all automatically preclude you/me from detecting (and retrieving) in parks, then you might as well give it up now, and stop detecting.

The verbage like "alter" and "deface" is easy though. Because all such words inherently imply the END result, right? So if you leave no trace, then technically you have not alterED or defacED anything ! Yes someone can debate the semantics of that with you if they want. Ok then AVOID that individual and go at lower traffic times! Like if they're park workers, then I'm sure they leave at 5pm, etc.. right? You say yourself mikeraydj that this was one of your "favorite parks", right? Then is that to assume that you've detected there many times before, and never had a problem ? If so, then it appears to me that it's this one lone individual.

Yes the "dig" word is more problematic. I would still argue "dig" versus "dug" though, since the end result is what's at stake. Yes this won't win a debate of semantics. But neither will the alter verses altered! And neither will probe/pop versus dig!

Thus I hate to say it, but .... sometimes there are just lone individuals in this world that you and I need to avoid. Why swat hornet's nests? You can certainly try to go to city hall and get this "clarified" and "overturned", etc.... But sometimes the only thing THAT does, is simply make it an up and front "pressing issue" for a bunch of other people who .... quite frankly .... never cared.

The issue seems to be pretty much isolated to turf, right? (versus sandboxes, bar dirt, beaches, scrub-terrain, etc...). So it's gotten to where I do most all my turf hunting at very "off" times. So peaceful. So serene.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom 2 can play the game, I don't dig I probe. .... I have had park personnel watch me then walk away and say nothing....

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My local County Laws are simple. They read No Metal Detecting on County property. Digging is not mentioned. No big deal anyway. I've found a fair share of goodies just by eyeballing the parks and such after an event. Amazing what people drop.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

...... I have had park personnel watch me then walk away and say nothing....

Treasure_hunter, they watch you and "say nothing" ? On the surface, that seems to imply that it's ok then. Right? But how much do you want to make a betthat I can go into that very same city's park's dept, and talk to some pencil pusher there, and find someone to tell me "no" ? It merely means you didn't ask enough people "can I?" with the right combination of buzzwords :)

If the day comes when we all use data like yours (the fact of detecting has just always gone on, and no one's ever cared), is the day we use THAT as our "standard", versus asking "can I?". And I would totally agree with you that if no one cares, then ... NO ONE CARES. If you can do it, and have no issues, then why oh why oh why would anyone go to city hall and start making themselves a big pressing issue ? But for some reason, there's no shortage of md'rs who do just that. They go in asking "can I?". Or if one lone individual griped, they go in "seeking clarification", etc....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I agree Tom, I do not ask local personnel, I check the laws.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last 2 parks they built in town where i live have signs that say metal detecting allowed but no digging.I wonder how long it will be before they put up signs like that in all the parks.Then i will have to go to the beach or county fairgrounds.And they have put fences around all the schools.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last 2 parks they built in town where i live have signs that say metal detecting allowed but no digging.I wonder how long it will be before they put up signs like that in all the parks.Then i will have to go to the beach or county fairgrounds.And they have put fences around all the schools.
I would probe then if confronted J would argue I am not digging I am probing, there is a difference.....Your taxes help run the parks, you have a right to enjoy the park...

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the ordinance in my town. Sec. 26.02.030. Park prohibitions: A 5- Damage, cut, carve, mark, transplant or remove any plant, or injure the bark, dig in or otherwise disturb grass areas, or in any other way injure the natural beauty or usefulness of any area.
Kinda cut and dried in the old law for me.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were you carrying around a noticeable shovel? I'm not talking about a sod knife or a Lesche, but anything bigger with a long handle that would attract attention.

Those sprinkler lines are deep enough that you probably would never hit them unless you were using something big and going over a foot down.

What time of the day were you there?

Almost all of the parks I go to have various rules prohibiting digging. Early weekend mornings or late weekday evenings seems to be the times when I never see park employees, and most other folk there don't even notice me. If I come across a deep target and there are people around I won't dig it. I wait until right before I leave when I'm alone with no audience and do a quick retrieval job. Surviving this hobby requires some discretion at times.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For yrs and for ever all I carry is a screw driver . I can pop a coin up pretty easy but the there can be a 1 inch hole from the hard time it gave me .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread