New Civil War site

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I finally got access to some property with the potential to yield some CW stuff. I'm pretty excited because I've never been able to dig a CW site. The property is in Muddlety, Nicholas Co., WV. The owner says there was a camp near the now dry creek bed on the property. All I've been able to come up with is that it was used by both sides as a camp/outpost in the early part of the war, and earned the nickname Muddlety Puddlety because it is a swampy area. I think Rosecrans took his troops through there on his way toward Summersville in early September 1861, and would eventually engage in the battle of carnifax ferry soon after. Can anyone provide any further insight on this location?

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Dang - don't forget to let us know what your find - sounds exciting!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey I hope you have the time of your life, find some good stuff and post them!

OP
OP
Shady Digger

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll definitely post what I find, although it'll be a few weeks before I will be able to hunt the site. Any advice for someone new to digging civil war sites?

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use Google Earth and topo maps to get the area's layout straight in your head. Then start a large grid. If you find relics (button or bullet etc.) start circling the find in a spiral pattern to see if you can center in on it, but return to the grid if there is no density of finds. Listen hard for density of trashy targets to pick up using low discrimination. Remember they had to have access to water (topo will show you springs and creeks) but would not camp in a spot that would be to wet or marshy as a rule. The geography of the land may give you a good indication. Best of luck and keep us posted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread