Sick of dogs with no leash on school grounds

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Three times this summer I've had a run in with a dog tearing towards me while I'm detecting. Today I'm at a high school and this couple walk on the field with a big dog and no leash. He's running way ahead if them all over the field exploring and going up to kids at soccer practice. I give them a look and then continue hunting. Well 20 min into my hunt this dog finally discovers me and is coming at me bearing teeth barking like he's gonna rip my leg off so I flair my arms out with my digger in one hand and swinging my detector at him with the other. I then shout out to the couple "put your fricken dog on a leash". Now I am a pleasant kind and patient man when I'm in the field detecting but that dog was gonna take a chunk out of my leg if I didn't stand up and swing and yell at the dog. So the couple walks over to me and this woman says to me " do you have a problem"? Wooooooahhhhh!! I about lost my fricken mind! I said sure as hell do I have a fricken prob! She then says to me its people like you in this world that are the prob and she was mad I was yelling at her dog. She said he's just a puppy and relax! Wow!! Some big ass puppy that was ready to eat me?? Put your dogs on a leash people!!! It's not a dog park!! Anyone else have any encounters with mean dogs.? I guess cause we look threatening with our tools in our hands is why they would attack someone metal detecting. Ruined my night tonight so I went home. Scared to go in the parks more and more lately. Any suggestions for crazy dogs running at you??

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily I have not had an unpleasant experience like you had...yet. There are dogs roaming at a few of the places I hunt but the owners seem to control them very well. My unpleasantries come from kneeling in the crap that the owners sometimes don't clean up. You may want to carry a can of bear spray or something.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
many townships have leash laws now with $300.00 fines.
Table of Dog Leash Laws

Pepper mace if legal in your state is a good thing to carry. It's rather annoying and you obviously use your detector and other other tools on hand to let loose dog know he's in for a battle.
But morons will be morons, so check your local community township website for their rules regarding leash laws and loose dogs. It's a $300 fine here where I live but some people are not aware
of this. So you make them aware. If they get nasty, call the police. That they will understand. :)

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yeah I'm going to check. I'm pretty sure it's not allowed on school grounds to have a dog even on a leash. Most schools say no dogs allowed on school property at any time. May have to carry some spray. Luckily I wasn't wearing my headset cause he was coming from behind me when I heard him barking. Might not have heard with my earphones in.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been in that situation many a times, usually they're just curious. Look at em, talk to them, no problem. I trust animal instincts better than people. Were you doing something bad like not filling your holes?
;-) Shep

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Where else would I post this?? I swung my Garrett AT pro at the dog. You have a prob with that?

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting in a farm field away from everyone when a beagle walked up behind me and scared the heck out of me. Lol it was a friendly dog was just curious. I had my concealed .45 on my hip which I always do if I'm out in the woods or fields for them pesky coyotes I come across from time to time. Haven't had to use it yet because the yotes usually run other way. In school your only weapon is what you have in your hands because you can't carry there for any reason. Pepper spray may be another avenue. Good luck.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a many dogs come up to me while I am out swinging and working. Since I do not fear dogs and believe animals can sense fear or hatred toward them they will show it back by being aggressive. Never had a bad experience but once when a blue heeler snipped at one of my shoes. I remain calm, talk to the animal in a calm even voice, and do not look at them in their in their eyes for more then a second or two until they trust me. but thats just me..they do call me the animal whisperer at times.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
It's not that I'm scared of dogs. I love dogs and yes they can sense fear. This dog picked me out from 100 feet away and didn't like what I was doing and how I looked to him. I had shades on wearing black swinging a detector with wha looks like a weapon in my hand. To a dog I'm not normal looking like everyone else on the field. So to him I'm more of an interest and to some dogs like this instance, was a threat in his eyes. Doesn't matter if you show fear or not with some dogs. They will attack regardless. If they don't like something you're doing or what you look like, show of fear or not doesn't instantly stop their decision to attack.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I was told once that dogs see people with headphones on their heads as weird enough to warrant an attack. Dogs can also hear tons better than people so your dog likely heard the sounds as well.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Where else would I post this?? I swung my Garrett AT pro at the dog. You have a prob with that?
You would get a lot more view's on your post if you put it under ….. General Discussion …..or even ….. Metal Detecting...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moved to General Forums. ..

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe here is liberal California macing a dog would be a felony. Squirt gun with ammonia worked wonders when I delivered papers as a kid. Also wasp spray is not a felony and those dogs do look like wasps. All the contractors I know carry wasp spray for the vagrants/druggies who are aggressive as use of pepper spray is viewed as a weapon and you can be prosecuted for it if not properly licensed.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe here is liberal California macing a dog would be a felony. Squirt gun with ammonia worked wonders when I delivered papers as a kid. Also wasp spray is not a felony and those dogs do look like wasps. All the contractors I know carry wasp spray for the vagrants/druggies who are aggressive as use of pepper spray is viewed as a weapon and you can be prosecuted for it if not properly licensed.
id hate to live somewhere where criminals have more rites than law abiding citizens. Where I live you can defend yourself and not worry about defending your actions if you or families life is in danger.

Last edited:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the Wasp spray idea and I always carry a knife. "Speak softly and carry a big stick" it worked for Bernie Goetz. Pets belong home not pushed on the public.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
although I'm not crazy about them, I prefer dogs to the nosy, little kids with 50 million questions that won't go away--too bad there are no leash laws for them. I've found that dogs will generally get bored & go away sooner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread