Treasure hunting drones?

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Keep it simple.

Make it an electric ground vehicle, either tracked or wheeled. The metal detector is on board. Mount a big old coil out in front of it on a spring-loaded arm with a ramp on the leading edge to allow it to slide over obstructions. Have it running on a simple program (like a Roomba or something) so that it follows a straight line until it hits a hard obstacle, then turns ninety degrees, moves one coil width forward, turns another ninety degrees, and comes back the other way. (You could of course make this more sophisticated by integrating GPS.) When the robot hits a target, it drops an appropriate, brightly-colored, biodegradable marker - say, one for good high conductors, one for good mid conductors, etc. If you wanted to get really fancy, it could instead simply mark the target locations via GPS and store them to memory. It's not an aerial vehicle so the FAA has no say in how you use it; nor would it be prohibited in parks that don't allow remote control aircraft, as nearly all the ones around here do.

Sit back and relax while your robot grids the park for you, then go out and verify (and dig, if appropriate) the targets. Your own gridding would be restricted to the areas that the robot couldn't get in to for whatever reason.

Completely doable with today's technology and no worries about government interference. Also, such a machine wouldn't complain about hauling a Minelab around, unlike most of us Minelab owners. :)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave... Reckon that would work in my woods along with all the hollers and ridges around? But I would like to have it in my cave and send in with live video feed.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Keep it simple.

Make it an electric ground vehicle, either tracked or wheeled. The metal detector is on board. Mount a big old coil out in front of it on a spring-loaded arm with a ramp on the leading edge to allow it to slide over obstructions. Have it running on a simple program (like a Roomba or something) so that it follows a straight line until it hits a hard obstacle, then turns ninety degrees, moves one coil width forward, turns another ninety degrees, and comes back the other way. (You could of course make this more sophisticated by integrating GPS.) When the robot hits a target, it drops an appropriate, brightly-colored, biodegradable marker - say, one for good high conductors, one for good mid conductors, etc. If you wanted to get really fancy, it could instead simply mark the target locations via GPS and store them to memory. It's not an aerial vehicle so the FAA has no say in how you use it; nor would it be prohibited in parks that don't allow remote control aircraft, as nearly all the ones around here do.

Sit back and relax while your robot grids the park for you, then go out and verify (and dig, if appropriate) the targets. Your own gridding would be restricted to the areas that the robot couldn't get in to for whatever reason.

Completely doable with today's technology and no worries about government interference. Also, such a machine wouldn't complain about hauling a Minelab around, unlike most of us Minelab owners. :)

Why drop markers if you have the GPS locations?
The blanket coil should be at the rear of the atv.
This system exists in manual form. Check out Accurate locators to see it. Frank...-
51 butterfly.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I worked for the government lol (army) probably shouldn't tell you this Frank but sure I'm on some gov watchlist lol.

Everybody in Tnet is on a list,watch list,in some form or another:laughing7:Dont think so?Think again:laughing9:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see drones being used by law enforcement and civil servants to patrol city parks and public land to harass detectorists first.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several quadcopters that I've been using to scout detecting locations.

I'm working on better sensing capabilities as time goes on. I'm trying to get my hands on a surplus LIDAR unit - it's really heavy though, so I'll probably end up having to mount it on a balloon.

grantler

Jan 11, 2004
near munich
Detector(s) used
Goldpic,XP ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bidpusher ,
How much would a surplus LIDAR cost and how heavy they are ? (just roughly )
Thanks for answering :-))

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bidpusher ,
How much would a surplus LIDAR cost and how heavy they are ? (just roughly )
Thanks for answering :-))

The one I have a lead on would be free if I can swing it - it's currently owned by a private company that specializes in scrapping military equipment. It's about 100 pounds, but a lot of that is in the mounts and such - I figure it would be 75 pounds by the time I trimmed down all the mounting brackets and junk I wouldn't need. That wouldn't be doable on a quadcopter, but it's conceivable for a fixed-wing if I were to put the money in it. I'd probably need to write software to deal with the output too, since I doubt there's anything out there for some esoteric military sensor platform.

Commercial units more suited to quadcopter use can be had for around $20k. The Velodyne HDL32E looks promising in that respect - it's about 2 kg, the size of an index card, and only has a range of 60m or so.

I won't be dropping $20k on a sensor any time soon, but you'd be surprised what a nerd can get his hands on when he's persistent!

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drones hmm......for me right now? no thanks. not interested.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of applications for these things if you can get away with it. Quad copters can be fitted with controllable arm grips to pick up small items off the surface of the ground. Pretty useful if you want to hover a few feet over the surface of a plowed field, or gravelly river bank, and pick up indian artifacts, fossils, etc. They can get you over wet and muddy sites that you would not wish to trample through. You can send one up the steep slope of a mountain to look for minerals, potential veins, or whatever else might be up there, and help you retrieve them then and there, or plan a safe path to get to them in person. Lots of potential for fun, as well as danger, and loss of Liberty.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have one equipped with q MD and once it has a hit it shoots a flag down in the area of the hit.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Government watch list? I worry about the Mexican Federal government seeing my postings on the treasure of Moctezuma. Not that I care about them getting the treasure, because by the law it's theirs anyway. But, the Uncles would be pretty upset with me if they came out and dug in their property.

Tulsa Clovis

Greenie
Aug 24, 2014
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting topic you have brought up here. I have been thinking about this idea myself for some time now. Imagine a small solar powered aerial drone that scans the surface of the ground in grid pattern for a bank of programmed shapes/objects. When one is sighted it takes a picture with GPS coordinates and emails the file to me.

Realmsman

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used my Phantom 2 with my gopro to search some cliffs but nothing really effective yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread