Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.

So I recently moved into a fairly old house. I would say it was built in the mid 40's However when I detect the yard all I can find are alluminum can pieces and bottle tops. I have been detecting a while and I know you cant completely elliminate junk however I have a Whites M6 and I was just wandering what the best setting may be to help me find that older stuff. Also how exactly do you ground balance the M6? I know you pump it but is that it?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is too much trash it will mask good signals that are deeper. And on the GB first you need a spot clear of metallic trash to setup on! Run around in all metal some to find a spot that doesn't respond, thats about all the advice I can offer since I don't own a M6.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is your yard, mark off a section and start removing all the trash including iron to uncover the silver

I have gone over my own yard many times but this fall when things get nice an wet, I plan on stripping it of all targets. To dry to do it now..

Ground balance
I took a quick look at the M6 manual and the ground balance/track features look to be the same as the CM GT. I add a couple of unneeded steps according to fox over at whites forum ..
I find a clean spot of ground with no targets using all metal mode. I set the sensitivity to 1/2 way (I have a NEL coil and this is the suggested method for NEL) I then turn off the MD.
Turn it back on with the coil about 3 ft off the ground over my clean spot. Pump from 1 foot down to about 2 inches over the clean sport about 6-8 times.
Done
Bump up sensitivity and start swinging.

Truthfully I have used my machine many times without doing this and it works just fine.. it figures it out without this step but sometimes it may take it a little while.. If you ever notice sometimes when you get up after digging a target the machine is not making any noise and you wonder if it is not working so you scan a fence or your digger..
This seems to happen when you put the coin down on an iron target.. Takes it a few swings to figure out that it has "tracked" to a target not the ground.... at least this is my theory... So now when I put it down, if I get a signal, I will move it away so it is not sitting on it.. Seems to have eliminated the silence after getting up that drove me nuts at first..

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The top soil might of been replaced or a fill added on.the original top soil could be a half a foot or more down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread