Why no coins ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
depending upon the type of town --it may have ran on a "chit type system or "barter and trade rather than on cash money --often times in the early days -- actual cash money was scarce --so barter and trade or if the town was a mining or coal or certain types of trade --the local 'big wig' often ran company stores on trade / credit on the books basis --so many times folks were cash poor --except the "boss"...

ps if its coins you want find out where the trade store was -- also find the old church --picnic areas where often close by the church --look for big old "shade trees" look around em --folks would bring coins to put in the church collection plate -- and when they picnicked coins would fall out of pockets --also check for bars and bawdy houses (they often only took cash and drunks lose money)

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I should be thankful to find such an early site here in TN instead of fussing. Just seemed so odd. I have been fortunate enough to be in one dream yard outside of Lebanon TN many years ago. Seateds, my first LC, and Indians galore. Truly hard to believe. Also an important lesson as to how effective a small coil can be. I went back at a friends urging with a small coil in the heavy trash and would have sworn the coins grew back (yes I have tried it at these sites). Couldn't believe it possible to have missed so many in a yard I had hunted to death. Gonna rehunt ( for the umpteenth time) and go low and slow again. Gotta pull just one.Thanks for the input and HH.

Man , There has gotta be at-least 1 , Just Don't Give Up.
Good Luck & let Us Know when you find it or Them.

Davers

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man , There has gotta be at-least 1 , Just Don't Give Up.
Good Luck & let Us Know when you find it or Them.

Davers

Davers, the good thing is that is a close convenient place for me to hunt. Must admit looking for greener pastures as we all do, but will guarantee I will rehunt these sites. Still areas I have yet to hit in the town, but the ones that have been so productive with relics will see me swinging again. It is a guarantee that any new machine I get will be tried there to see if a different frequency or discriminator might just find one on edge among the nails. HH

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
agreed your best bet i think would be finding some private property that has had old foundations, i have one i just got access to in Caroline county, 200 acres, and 4 1700's and earlier foundations. Keep hunting, maybe renting some land could be an option for you! Good luck!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there is a less obvious possibility.I have hunted an old picnic spot in the woods many times.Dates to around 1905 when a toll road was built up the mountain.It became a private owned campground in the 20s.I have found everything I would expect but have only found one barber dime.not even another era penny.one day while hunting it again an older gent walking his dog approached me.he asked if I have found any coins.wierd I thot...he must have hammered it in the past.not.

He told me the story of,"the walker".It seems that there was a guy his father knew of that was paid a small fee for keeping the area clean.He was mentally challenged it seemed.Some folks took pity and invented a job for him.The story went that he was a very hard worker...he walked the area constantly staring at the ground rain or shine.He tended to only collect cans,paper and coins and wouldnt touch anything else.When he took ill and passed his relatives found 3 mason jars of period coins under his bed.

moral of the story....ya never friggin know...I gave up on that area.

cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha..... the mystery continues. Went today and got two more flat buttons and a round ball. Both the buttons had silver wash still on them. One with and one without the shank. ........ and as hard as it may be to believe ...... no coins ...... ha ha

Did get permission to hunt a 250 acre farm that is just barely out of town. Two caves, and one eventually comes out with a spring right in front of the home where I found the Andrew Jackson Victory buttons.
Been looking at a few maps but don't really look like any homes were on it. This is a terrible county for records and maps, but gonna search google earth as well for road beds. Might just make a good evening walk

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread