Metal Detecting

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like this question or one similar to pops up every month or every other month …. Then you hear the same thing …. YA Man i got a gun yup yup yup i do.:laughing9:. YA man .. I have all the man toys….

What do you "got", Keppy?

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost always carry in the woods, and always carry a weapon in my truck. Have had my ccw for a year now, and agree that is a big responsibility.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I will be carrying as soon as I can get my' Carry Permit! Besides metal detecting, Ginseng and other medicinal Herb hunting and harvesting, I also Gold and Gem prospect. Where I prospect in Tennessee, there is a big male Cougar and I will no longer go there unless I am packing. Also, in the National Forest where I have Ginseng and Herb hunted, there are a lot of Ginseng Poachers who also carry and will shoot to keep from being arrested. There are also a lot of Black Bear and Rattlesnakes where I hunt. As soon as I get my' Permit, I will be packing my' Smith & Wesson "Performance Center" Model 25-10 .45 Long Colt.
Frank

Hay, that .45 'long' Colt is close to a .44 mag in power and there are shot loads for snakes.
In Maryland there is no carry permit, so I officially don't carry, but you might notice a Texas Defender bulge in my pocket, .45 'long' Colt style. Frank...- five star.png

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in the communist state of NY. That's not even an option. Mr Cuomo even made me sell my ar's as we now have to register them. Could you imagine, big brother knowing what I have at home. I gotta get outta here. Quick!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I live in the communist state of NY. That's not even an option. Mr Cuomo even made me sell my ar's as we now have to register them. Could you imagine, big brother knowing what I have at home. I gotta get outta here. Quick!

Its a damn shame these leftists like Cuomo keep getting elected in the northeast. Long Island is such a nice place to live, but the government makes everybody's life miserable.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a damn shame these leftists like Cuomo keep getting elected in the northeast. Long Island is such a nice place to live, but the government makes everybody's life miserable.
Getting worse and worse everyday. Seems like nowadays it doesn't even matter who's elected. The hard working man gets screwed while the lazy get free handouts. But that's for a different thread. I see you like mr glock, good choice. Keeps a lickin and keeps on tickin.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but thought about it. Went so far as buying a small hand gun for when I detect.
Then I came to my senses. I live in SW Ohio. No cougars, bears etc here. I rarely encounter hunters. (Deer)
Sure, I can protect my home if needed, but that's as far I go w firearms.
If "under the bridge" people want to harm me while detecting, good luck! Try...
They are people too. If they want my money, they can have it without a fight. But, if they try to take my Etrac, that's another matter. ;)
Peace
Post script; people, not guns, are harmful!
Peace x 2

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry.

Generally I have a Glock 31 in .357sig. Virginia is an open carry state, and I generally carry that way in a level 2 retention holster. Occasionally I'll wear it in a hybrid IWB holster instead, particularly if I'm at a tot lot or something without my daughter, or knocking on doors.

I also have a KelTec P32 I keep as a backup, and sometimes I'll swap the Glock for a 1911 or a Browning Hi-Power.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's that bad, is they're any thing really worth digging there?

It's not so much a matter of it being "that bad", but that carrying gives you options. If I think I'm in danger, I won't go there - but it's impossible to avoid all confrontation in life, and when faced with it I'd rather have as many options at my disposal for dealing with it as possible.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying is an enormous responsibility. Some might call me stupid for doing so, but living in Detroit I had a CCW for 5 years - until it expired.

And I never once carried.

Make sense to me.

My mom has a CWP, but very rarely carries. It protects her from accidentally breaking the law if my dad leaves a pistol in the glovebox or something without thinking about it.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but thought about it. Went so far as buying a small hand gun for when I detect.
Then I came to my senses. I live in SW Ohio. No cougars, bears etc here. I rarely encounter hunters. (Deer)
Sure, I can protect my home if needed, but that's as far I go w firearms.
If "under the bridge" people want to harm me while detecting, good luck! Try...
They are people too. If they want my money, they can have it without a fight. But, if they try to take my Etrac, that's another matter. ;)
Peace
Post script; people, not guns, are harmful!
Peace x 2

You know, the last thing I want to do is hurt someone. I go to great lengths to avoid confrontation; I carry OC spray and have trained in its use. I've sprayed myself in the face with it so I can be prepared to run the other direction under its influence if I ever have to deploy it and get caught in the overspray.

In the end, my life and the lives of my family are worth protecting.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And i don't know ..:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing9: … Same questions same answers..

Seems to me we also get the same types of critical statements about many posts. Always wondered why even take time to comment if you find it repetitive or boring. Seems like it would be easier to just pass and move on. On the other hand I am sure you will get the expected responses and the whole topic will derail and change form who carries to the moral issues involved.

Last edited:

SDBob

Jun 11, 2013
SE South Dakota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ5, Tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I carry....have you ever seen the mosquitoes here in South Dakota :laughing7:
Seriously, I do carry an LC9 Ruger....I'm a retired leo and have strapped on a gun of one sort or another everyday for the last 25 years.
To me it's just second nature and I kind of feel naked without it.
I do agree that anyone who does carry, make sure you visit the range and know what you're doing!

Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do, I was the 3rd person to receive mine in mn. so I have had it over 15 years...last 4 years I became somewhat disabled with transverse myelitis which is a virus that attacked my spinal cord....another story in itself....anyway I have run into some bears and cubs in the spring and you never want to get between and her cubs if you can help it, if she sees you before you see her she will send her cubs up a tree and then she will bluff charge you at a distance, if you are say 50 or closer then it is a different story...now back to carrying, I have only had to un holster it once, if you are going to carry you need to read the book "everything you need to know about (legally) carrying a handgun in mn. or your state" there was one situation where a person was robbed and had the right to defend himself but he had spent 85,000.00 in lawyer fees and was innocent...so one never knows....it gives you the right to defend yourself but not to kill....I could spend 3 hours on talking about this subject as I have many classes shooting and tactical classes, I shoot about 800 rounds a week in .22 cal. and 150 in 9mm. that's my side of it, would like to hear yours...

Gary

davesharky59

Greenie
Jun 18, 2014
Phiippines
Detector(s) used
fisher x 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i got out of work and im pulling in my driveway when two guy.s i worked with on another job parked across the street walked over to me one walked behind me and the other pucked me over him i would not take my hands off of my gun they were trying to take it.It was a 357 with hollow points but they hit me in my eye.s and kicked me after awhile i felt no more pain then they walked back to there car that was NYS and they had no weapons there you know you never shoot any one in the back there leaving you alone and alive all i kept thinking about was the guy.s in prison having there way with me i worked garbage truck with them guy.s they wanted a tv i found i said no the boss would buy beer for every one to drink after work they were very drunk and mad it was not worth a beaten people thing don.t all way.s happen the way you think they will be ready for any thing i healed but i did nothing wrong at all i just wanted to share and that.s some thing your not proud to repeat thanks.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i got out of work and im pulling in my driveway when two guy.s i worked with on another job parked across the street walked over to me one walked behind me and the other pucked me over him i would not take my hands off of my gun they were trying to take it.It was a 357 with hollow points but they hit me in my eye.s and kicked me after awhile i felt no more pain then they walked back to there car that was NYS and they had no weapons there you know you never shoot any one in the back there leaving you alone and alive all i kept thinking about was the guy.s in prison having there way with me i worked garbage truck with them guy.s they wanted a tv i found i said no the boss would buy beer for every one to drink after work they were very drunk and mad it was not worth a beaten people thing don.t all way.s happen the way you think they will be ready for any thing i healed but i did nothing wrong at all i just wanted to share and that.s some thing your not proud to repeat thanks.

That's a scary story, glad you lived to tell it. Good thing you held on to that gun!

You never know about people.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not only while metal detecting, but I have always felt as the leader of my family I have the responsibility to protect them and myself at what ever means necessary. Even if that means deadly force. be it firearm, pig sticker, or a ridge hand to the throat. Hope it never comes to that part but if so, so be it!

zacc1758

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry all the time whether detecting or not. I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry 95% of the time when not at work, the other 5% I can't carry due to laws, (in bank, bars, gov building). I went to movie yesterday and was carrying, I carry in theme parks, all stores, malls even when visiting family and friends homes...

Yes it is a huge responsibility, that is why I carry, I am the one responsible for my wife and my personal safety at all times, not the police. I may never need it, but God forbid I do need it and don't have it.

So far my weapon has never attacked anyone on its on..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread