Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I posted a version of this on the Minelab forum but then thought I’d like to hear from the broader population of my fellow metal detectorists.

If you had the undivided attention of metal detector manufacturers and could dictate the design features of their next machine, what would that machine look like?

I’ve given this some thought and here is mine:

I love the concept and design features of the SDC 2300—compact, fold up, waterproof, reliable, tough and simple…a great travel machine! My suggestion for Minelab would be to offer those same design features in a Full Band Spectrum (FBS) detector with quick coil change capability and wireless headphones. If they ever did that, I’d be at the top of the buyer list!

Who knows, perhaps some manufactures will see this and take note of your ideas....you just never know who reads these forums! :wink:

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I am a bit more realistic for I own the all around (detector)'s. You see I don't want to drag around a lot of dead weight all the time. I don't need multifrequency when I have several detectors designed for a specific job. I don't need a screen on my deep seeking PI for I dig every target with that or scoop every target at the beach. I surely don't need ID on my 2 Box. What I have is the best detector for each hunting mode and the proof of them is that they are all over 13 years old, they all can go out and dance with anything out there today and last but not least, they have all paid for themselves many times over. Newer might mean fancier, but not better.

List: Whites XLT for general purpose hunting like yards, parks, it has even pulled muskets from colonial dumps.

Whites Surfmaster PI for nugget hunting, beach hunting and hunts to 4' on some small cache hunts.

Hays 2 Box for cache hunting large caches to over 6'.

Vibratector for searching walls of old buildings. It will detect to 6".

It takes a system, not a single detector to do all around hunting, Hay, I have been at it for over 40 years.
Frank...- five star.png
z taft face.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Frankn, I agree that today's technology can't efficiently create a "do everything for all circumstances machine." A stand out Regimental commander of mine long ago in the late 70's used to say," When you try to be everything to everybody, you end up being nothing to nobody." He was right and so are you.

I'm just very impressed with and simply looking for the compact convenience and portability of the SDC 2300 design in something other than a PI machine and I personally like the FBS or BBS engineering approach ergo that design would be my "Dream Detector"

collision

Jul 14, 2014
Temecula
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collision Please read the rules so you can continue to post on T-Net.

Last edited by a moderator:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with Cincinnati Kid, but would settle for an Etrac if they could get a pound or so of weight off of it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A two pound CZ 21.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A machine that can discriminate depth. Yes, you read that correctly.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I would mate a CTX 3030 with the design and weight of an XP Deus.
Peace

Indeed...Minelab tones, Minelab TID numbers, Deus everything else. This actually would be a true do-it-all machine, at least for VLF applications. There wouldn't be much to complain about with such a machine.

I'd be happy if my xp deus was water proof

Your coil is. Your headphones may as well be. Your controller can stay in the car, or for the princely sum of $20 or so, you can put it in a watertight iPhone case and wear it around your neck. I actually use a modified iPhone case with a hole drilled in the bottom to allow the controller to mount to the stalk with the case on, as I do most of my hunting during our three rainy seasons - not exactly waterproof, but definitely rainproof and mudproof. The down-and-dirty option is a Ziploc bag, of course. :)

But yes, a waterproof controller from the factory would be desirable. I'm not sure that it's necessary though. XP does not advertise the controller as being rainproof and probably wouldn't warrant repairs caused by rain, but mine has been out in the rain a number of times with no issues. I actually got the case for it to protect it from my muddy hands, not the rain.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A machine that can discriminate depth. Yes, you read that correctly.
Took me a minute to figure you out but I think I got it...you mean so you wouldn't hear shallow targets but still hear the ones below them...like set it to disc 5 and you would only hear targets deeper than 5 inches...is that right?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A detector on wheels/tracks that's controlled from my smart phone that can do the above!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took me a minute to figure you out but I think I got it...you mean so you wouldn't hear shallow targets but still hear the ones below them...like set it to disc 5 and you would only hear targets deeper than 5 inches...is that right?
Yup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread